Twitter woes

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just finished recruiting school (US Navy) where we discussed (at length!) social networking websites and their role in society today (particularly our target market area). There is even an instruction for recruiters to have and maintain their own Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. accounts. Where does work's requirements on your internet fun cross a line?

Do you "tweet" for work? If yes, how's that working? I feel like I am hundred years old even reading the how to's on Tweeter.com....

My deepest sympathies to you.

The company I work for does maintain a twit site. Thankfully, I have no involvement. What amazes me is that it has a few hundred followers. I'm guessing that those folks are all of our competitors marketing groups, keeping track of us.

I never paid any attention to any social networking sites until about 6 months ago. Then the pressure from friends to get Facebook and Twitter accounts got to be too much and I caved. I still have not posted much on either but I do have accounts. I can't imagine ever having to use them for work though.

Twitter seems like a huge waste of time. I've used Facebook to reconnect with some old friends which has been fun.

Our company has a fledgling facebook account. I think we have posted exactly 3 things in the history of our facebook presence. One of them was a link posted by me of one of our public outreach initiatives.

When I read that companies were getting on Twitter, I figured it was time for the kids to move onto something else. Can't be 'cool' once your Dad starts using it ;).

-ERD50

When I read that companies were getting on Twitter, I figured it was time for the kids to move onto something else. Can't be 'cool' once your Dad starts using it ;).

-ERD50

u r 2 funy.

twitter is being used pretty effectively for my daughter's softball coach to inform the ladies of schedule changes, game times etc.... so many of us think it is useless but like so many other technological changes it has a use you just may have to "discover" it

Just finished recruiting school (US Navy) where we discussed (at length!) social networking websites and their role in society today (particularly our target market area). There is even an instruction for recruiters to have and maintain their own Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. accounts. Where does work's requirements on your internet fun cross a line?

Do you "tweet" for work? If yes, how's that working? I feel like I am hundred years old even reading the how to's on Tweeter.com....

I am retired but I would not like being required to do this, either. Even in my private life I don't twitter at all, don't do Linkedin or Myspace, and I only do Facebook to keep up with what my daughter is doing, with no other active Facebook "friends".

Along the same lines, an apartment building near my neighborhood has a big sign out front saying, "apartments for rent, text xyzapartments for information". What if someone wants to rent an apartment but doesn't text? This could function as age discrimination, even though it is unlikely that one could prove it. I sure wouldn't know how to rent an apartment there because I don't text and apparently there is no apartment office there.

I joined Facebook a couple of years ago, motivated by a now-forgotten reason; and at one point turned down an ex-real-life friend. A couple of weeks ago I accepted two friends because we are setting up a meeting event together. Once that is over I'll forget about the Facebook account. I also accepted a cousin as a friend but she has not responded to my wall comment. I use a photo of a favorite scenic view as my face.

I learned to text once because I was very very motivated; if I get motivated again, I will look it up again in the cell phone manual.

Oh, yes, apparently I do twitter, inadvertently. I wanted to record my high score on an iPod game, thinking it would be just on my game but it apparently was reported to Twitter.

Last edited:
DW has a facebook account with the privacy settings locked down tight - friends only - to keep in touch with relatives.

I don't have one, mostly because I probably spend too much time online as it is. Early on I found that computers, bulletin boards and later the Internet can be a "black hole" for time and I had to make a conscious effort to limit that and get outside once in a while.

Doing it for work would be, well, work.

I joined Facebook but venture on the site rarely. Can't believe the rubbish people waste their time sharing with others.

Twatter - well I have managed to avoid that one totally. Personally I can't give a toss what anyone is doing in 140 characters or less.

I joined Facebook but venture on the site rarely. Can't believe the rubbish people waste their time sharing with others.

Wait, what do you mean?? I just learned a valuable bit of info about my cousin's wife on Facebook! First I learned her OB was ridiculous because they rescheduled her appointment for b.c. 5 TIMES!!!! (capitalization and exclamation in the original). And then I learned that she doesn't take the pill, but uses IUD's (not to be confused with their more explosive cousins the IED's).

How would I ever discover this stuff in face to face conversations? :D

Back
Top Bottom