Two Years In

RockyMtn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Two years ago today I walked out of the office for the last time. Can't believe it went by that quickly. Thanks to all on the forum for their help in easing the transition to FIRE. No other words of wisdom...just my heartfelt thanks.

Congratulations on your two year retirement anniversary! Mine will be in November. I agree - - it's hard to believe how fast time has sped by.

Glad your transition went well. Mine did too, thank goodness.

I'm at 2 yrs as well. And your right about time passing away. I've done a lot in the last two years, but the days seem to fly by. Sure wish things would slow down. Life is already too short.

Rocky,
Congrats on your second anniversery.
I have not yet reached the RE milestone. Can you tell me what you have found remarkable in the past two years? What was unexpected?:blink:

Probably most remarkable is that I don't miss w*rk at all. After thirty years I was concerned that I would possibly be bored, not motivated and missing the relationships that I had in my business. That has not been the case. I have found other things to challenge me mentally and physically and new friendships outside of the office.

Most unexpected was how busy I find myself. No day seems void of something to do or somewhere to go. Don't know how I ever got to some of this stuff while still employed! Guess most of it I just didn't.

Congrats RockyMtn!!!

Can you let us know what's occupying your time during your days?

Rocky, I will reach 3 years this November. Yes, the time has flown by very fast. I don't miss working or the awful commute (especially) the most. I had been working part-time for the last 7 years of my career so it was an easy transition from working 1, 2, or 3 days a week to zero. Work had become a nuisance to fit into my nonwork week because many of my activities were midday weekdays. And the commute made most evening going-out activities impossible.

But not any more...... :)

Congrats RockyMtn!!!

Can you let us know what's occupying your time during your days?

I am much more active in managing my investments which in the past I had little time to do a decent job of.

I have undertaken several home improvement projects (new laundry room floor, garden remake, some painting, etc.

I have a rental property which I know manage myself. In the past I had a property management firm handle it.

Play lots of golf (4-5 times a week when weather permits). Always walk and schlep my clubs on my back. Pretty good workout here at altitude. As of yesterday I have walked approx 1145 miles in the last two years.

Travel for pleasure at least once a month in the winter months in order to get my golf fix. Am teaching the GF to play golf...which requires more patience than I ever had to give to my employees!

I take on an occasional consulting job in my former industry to fund some of my adventures and keep me in vodka and golf balls!

I get tired just compiling all of this...time for a nap.

Watching CBS Evening News. They just did a story on all the unemployment at NASA now that the Shuttle Program is being canceled. Mostly 40 and 50-something year olds who are having a lot of difficulties finding new work. In light of the overall unemployment rates and these kinds of stories (NASA), it makes one very appreciative/thankful when you can say that you have a comfortable retirement (at your own choosing). Unfortunately though, I think the times will get worse for millions. There really seems to be a dichotomy of the haves and the have-nots when it comes to work/retirement.

Retired from NASA in March 08. Saw it coming. Lucky to have 35 years in, but no surprise to anyone watching the budget. NASA is in the discretionary part of the Fed budget. It will only get worse. Time to plan is pretty much over. Good luck and fair winds

Very proud of the job NASA has been doing over the last 50 yrs - might be the greatest accomplishments made by our country.

Back
Top Bottom