UHC/AARP Medigap Plans

zaqxsw

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone seen the new rates for June 2024 - May 2025? It may be a stupid question as I do not know if their "AGE 77 STANDARD RATE INCREASE / AGE 81 STANDARD RATE INCREASE" occurs in June for all states. It's June for me and DW.

Your discounts are based on these standard rate increases, depending on your age, where you are at in the discount %, and what Standard Rate applies to you.

Has anyone seen the new rates for June 2024 - May 2025? It may be a stupid question as I do not know if their "AGE 77 STANDARD RATE INCREASE / AGE 81 STANDARD RATE INCREASE" occurs in June for all states. It's June for me and DW.

Your discounts are based on these standard rate increases, depending on your age, where you are at in the discount %, and what Standard Rate applies to you.

New Mexico, at least for my wife, is June as well. I don’t start until next year. Now I’m curious as to when they will be posted.

I received my rate update mid-February last year. The rate letter was dated 2/3/23. This was for Jun 23 - May 24.

I think the rates are on your individual renewals, not the same for everybody...

Yes, the actual charged rate is based on your signup date because of how the discounts are structured. But the “Standard Rate” increase each year applies to everyone and then your specific discount kicks in.

How much does AARP raise their rates annually (approximately)?

Insurance rate are determined separately in each state, negotiated with and approved by each state regulator. There is no nation-wide average.

UHC/AARP won't be updating their "AGE 77 STANDARD RATE INCREASE / AGE 81 STANDARD RATE INCREASE" anytime soon. It will be May.

Just received a letter from them explaining their new "Personalized Billing" system. All Supplemental Health Insurance plans will change to individual plans for each member. No more accounts, billing, or communications on a household basis. They say this will clarify a lot of billing questions.

They do state that all discounts will continue, including the Multi-Insured discount, but we'll have to wait and see how. New account statements come out in mid-May for each individual.

Just received a letter from them explaining their new "Personalized Billing" system. All Supplemental Health Insurance plans will change to individual plans for each member....

We each got that letter today.

My wife started her plan in May 2022. She has been paying the same amount for three years without an increase. Her letter shows that in May 2025 (her 3 year anniversary) she's getting hit with a 9.9% increase.

I started my plan 7 days ago. I will pay the same amount for ONE year, and then in March 2025 (my 1 year anniversary) I get hit with a 9.9% increase. :mad:

Attachments

• UHCMedigap.JPG
    UHCMedigap.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Wow, your discounts and inflation rates are news to me. I have never seen anything like that.

We haven’t received our individual “Personalized Billing” plans yet. Just the introductory letter advising us of the change. But it was written like no big deal, just improved bookkeeping for our benefit. Obviously, I expect a rate increase, but not a new system.

What you’re showing is completely foreign to me. I had no idea that they ran completely different systems for different states/ areas. Or else I’m in for a big surprise also…

The discount that starts at 45% off for the first three years and then diminishes to zero discount at age 86 is probably common to all AARP/UHC plans. At least I thought so. They don't (can't) tell you what the claims-driven/inflationary increases will be.

But none of this is new; it's how they've been pricing for many years.

The table I captured above isn't meant to predict future costs because the only claims-driven (inflation) rate increase for me so far is this recent 9.9% one, and there will be more. The price is now 9.9% higher than it was when I signed up. The next increase will be even a higher percentage over my sign-up rate. But everything is based on that first price.

In 2019 when I signed up the discounts were applied to the "AGE 77 STANDARD RATE" with the attached 2019 discount table shown on the top thumbnail.

When my wife signed up in 2020, the discounts were applied to the "AGE 81 STANDARD RATE" with the attached 2020 discount table shown on bottom thumbnail.

So UHC/AARP seems to change the STANDARD RATE AGE and the discount schedule every year or so.

As far as I know, once you signup, you're locked into what STANDARD RATE AGE and discount schedule that existed at that time. As far as I know these do not change. Neither mine nor my wife's have changed in the years after our signup.

Do you know STANDARD RATE AGE your discounts are applied to? I'm just curious. I don't know if previous signers got a deal or lost out. It doesn't matter as we had to signup within 6 months of turning 65, so no option to wait.

Attachments

• Medigap1.jpg
    Medigap1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Medigap2.jpg
    Medigap2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
Interesting. DH signed up in 2020.

I’m not sure he got the 81 standard rate.

The rate 39% discount from ages 65 thru 68 seems new to me.

Last edited:
Received my new pricing for UHC/AARP this week. For my 71st birthday my rate will increase 13.8% to $173 per month, a $21 increase. Did not make my day.

I’m signing up later this year. Will be interesting compared to DH

Just one data point and I do not know if this is true...

I got a letter from UHC with a nice discount... so believe it is the 81 rate...

Got quotes online and from brokers that was more... so believe it was the 77 rate..

I would bet it is how you sign up that determines the rate schedule...

Interesting,

I was going to sign up directly. DH signed up via boomer benefits. I would also like to know the household discount we supposedly both get once I sign up since we have a AARP family membership.

One more data point: I signed up directly (no broker) 3 years ago. I also got the premium schedule based on age 81 = 100% premium. DW also has the same premium schedule (signed up later directly) and we get the 7% family discount and the direct debit discount.

Interesting,

I was going to sign up directly. DH signed up via boomer benefits. I would also like to know the household discount we supposedly both get once I sign up since we have a AARP family membership.

Boomer was more expensive and in fact was more than what the UHC website had with their higher rate... I asked about it and they said 'we are worth the extra cost'.... REALLY? I think not...

To be clear, the letter I got was the cheapest
Going to the website and looking at rates myself was a bit higher...
Boomer was higher still...

How did you get this letter? I assume you hadn’t signed up?

When DH signed up we checked Boomer against what AARP/UHC had already quoted online for our county and it was the same.

One more data point: I signed up directly (no broker) 3 years ago. I also got the premium schedule based on age 81 = 100% premium. DW also has the same premium schedule (signed up later directly) and we get the 7% family discount and the direct debit discount.

Thanks. Apparently this family discount varies by state so TN for you. I hadn’t heard what it is supposed to be for TX.

I think you can look the discount up directly on the UHC/AARP site - or at least I could in TN. There were no surprises in the rates charged

Further information: my inflationary increases have been 2.2% the first year, followed by 5.5% last year.

In Texas, the UHC/AARP Medigap plans without gym use the age 86 schedule as shown below.

https://www.aarpsupplementalhealth....unt-MACRA/StateVariations/MI10170TX_WB_wc.pdf

The plans WITH gym use the age 81 schedule below. This schedule has varied over the years based on enrollment date. However, once you are on a specific schedule, you stay on that schedule even if you change from G to N. Texas plans have a 7% Multi-insured discount.

https://www.aarpsupplementalhealth....tDiscount-MACRA/StateVariations/SA25731TX.pdf

Back
Top Bottom