UltraViolet Info? Safe?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Now, with 1700 Channels available on Roku, when signing on to a new channel for me (Flixter), I get a "confirm code on computer" page that eventually brings me to "UltraViolet" which says it will authorize sharing of copyright data, connect me with Facebook names and generally suggests that I will be sharing my entire life with anybody and everybody.
The Wiki page looked to be written by the UltraViolet owners, and was almost unintelligible to this tech impaired soul.

So, your thoughts... Safe? ... and why do I need this?

Just part of the new age that has passed me by... Ultraviolet has more than 21 million accounts.

:peace:

instead of starting a separate thread... different subject... an interesting fun website... the name suggests the content:
http://unplugthetv.com/archive

Last edited:
If you don't know why you need it, why bother? Why share info w/o a known risk/benefit? I'd pass, until someone comes along with some info that describes the benefits. Seems odd to me that the benefits are not spelled out.

-ERD50

So, your thoughts... Safe? ... and why do I need this?
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the product/service/whatever it is. But if an offered service doesn't "fix" a problem I have, and I can't figure out why I'd need it, I don't enroll/subscribe/buy. I'm always concerned it will be a scam, turn into a monthly debit /charge that goes unnoticed for a long time, ends up being sold to another company or the terms of the contract changed and suddenly I'm getting something entirely different, my info will be sold to lots of subsidiars or "partners" and then the fun will start, etc.

But I admit to being a social media hermit. I can't imagine why people would want a tweet from me describing my lunch, I don't need to network via LinkedIn, and Facebook--well, don't get me started.

Bumping this because I now understand the reason for Ultraviolet.

As I read it, it's a cloud sharing program. Apparently, when you either pay to stream, or buy a DVD or BlueRay a movie, it entitles you to owner's rights. If I understand it correctly, you can use Ultraviolet to share these rights by streaming the movie from the cloud, just as if you would lend a DVD movie to a friend.

Can't believe that the content producers can be too happy with this, so wil be watching. The way I see it, if I had content rights to a movie I bought, I could give everyone here (my friends :blush:) the code so you could watch it for free.

Am sure there's a lot more to this, so will keep an eye on the progress. After the Aereo legal battle, anything could happen.

This movie sharing service is the first good use of Ultraviolet we've seen | The Verge

Please add or correct as neccssary.

...Ultraviolet.

As I read it, it's a cloud sharing program. Apparently, when you either pay to stream, or buy a DVD or BlueRay a movie, it entitles you to owner's rights. If I understand it correctly, you can use Ultraviolet to share these rights by streaming the movie from the cloud, just as if you would lend a DVD movie to a friend.

Apparently, indeed. Nobody in this household has ever successfully played an UltraViolet stream. Yes, we have lots of bandwidth. 18 Mb/sec as just measured.

It's pretty silly. You need a special app on Android or iDevices which I have yet to get to run successfully. On a computer you need a different special app, which apparently uses installation software and code written by primates used to test cannabinoids, based on the industry standard security hole called 'SilverLight', software from Microsoft last updated in 2012 that is now in their end-of-life process. Or, you need a smart TV with it's own internet connection and just the right special app. Or assorted wanky TV add-on boxes. With their own account setups with various vendors. (PlayStation Network or XBox Live network subscriptions not included.)

It appears to be a streaming service inspired by DIVX.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom