(Un-)Predictions From 2005

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
While searching the forum for travel information on Bangalore I stumbled across this old thread. I still haven't found where Bangalore is mentioned, but I was rather amused and amazed by my speculations from November 2005:

As for how it bodes well for the economy keep reading for a laugh. GM and/or Ford go bankrupt, screw their workers royally but reorganize much leaner and in-the-black and manage to create a few desirable and reliable models. Boeing sells more planes because airlines hate the mammoth A380 and the Boeing fits at any existing gate and existing maintenance hangars. IBM sells higher margin hardware and maintains its reputation as a reliable quality vendor that's worth the price for its products. IKEA and the Gap become popular in China as their economy grows and their workers earn more. Either Microsoft pulls another ace from its sleeve and maintains its dominance everywhere or Red Hat and IBM become major beneficiaries of MS's decline by selling enterprise virtualization hardware and consulting services in traditional form or in prepackaged application servers that are easily customized for the end user by a couple hours of a low-paid tech's time.

Those aren't predictions, by the way. I'm way to smart; that is I know I'm far too stupid to predict what happens next.

I would suggest that among the other eerily close speculations my last sentence describes the cloud, except I got the major players wrong--IBM and Red Hat do have enterprise cloud offerings, though--and the "customized servers" are even easier to set up than I imagined.

BigMoneyJim said:
...I'm way to smart;
Yep, I can tell just buy redding yer poast.

Good calls back in 2005. Microsoft is still looking for that ace!

Missed the smartphone revolution. But others seem pretty spot on.

Will Window 9 be what Windows 8 should have been?

Will Nokia get sold like Motorola after a couple of years?

OK, lets have your prediction for 2023:D

OK, lets have your prediction for 2023:D

Give you three:

1. I will be 80 and still healthy and FI!

2. Flip phones will make a comeback for those who are frustrated with smart phones and costly data contracts.

3. People will actually use a phone to talk to each other again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom