United Healthcare in Florida (individual coverage)

LXEX55

Recycles dryer sheets
Right now, my wife and I are covered by United Healthcare thanks to my company's COBRA plan. This expires the last day of September. It won't affect me, as I am eligible for Medicare at that point. My wife, however, will be 63, so she will need private coverage for about two years. Does anyone living in Florida (I live in St Pete) have private insurance thorugh Uninted? As far as I can see, United is not part of the ACA exchange. If worse comes to worse, my wife will sign up for Florida Blue thourgh the excahnge, but she would much prefer to stay with United.

UHC pulled their private plans from most markets in 2016. They currently sell private major medical plans only in MA, NY and NV. However, they have filed to offer plans in MD for 2021 and are expected to announce additional states they will be re-entering for 2021 during their second quarter earnings conference call (July?).

If you turn 65 before COBRA expires, there is a 'second qualifying event' rule that may allow your wife to stay on the plan longer.

18 to 36-Month Period (Second Qualifying Event): A spouse and dependent children who already have COBRA coverage, and then experience a second qualifying event, may be entitled to a total of 36 months of COBRA coverage. Second qualifying events may include...the covered employee becoming entitled to Medicare benefits (under Part A, Part B or both). The following conditions must be met in order for a second event to extend a period of coverage:

1. The initial qualifying event is the covered employee's termination or reduction of hours, of employment, which calls for an 18-month period of continuation coverage;
2. The second event that gives rise to a 36-month maximum coverage period occurs during the initial 18-month period of continuation coverage;
3. The second event would have caused a qualified beneficiary to lose coverage under the plan in the absence of the initial qualifying event;
4. The individual was a qualified beneficiary in connection with the first qualifying event and is still a qualified beneficiary at the time of the second event; and
5. The individual meets any applicable COBRA notice requirement in connection with a second event...

If all conditions associated with a second qualifying event are met, the period of continuation coverage for the affected qualified beneficiary (or beneficiaries) is extended from 18 months to 36 months.

Reference: https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Programs-...tections/cobra_fact_sheet#Periods_of_Coverage

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom