Unreasonable To Refuse to Pay?

While I agree that the worker urinating on the back of your house was inappropriate, as was their not responding to your email, I don't see that as an excuse to not pay the bill. Why not give them a call and ask to talk to the owner and voice your complaint?

Was the reminder by email? If so, can you respond that you intend to pay promptly after they address your complaint dated xx/xx/xxx?

It probably is true that withholding payment is a way to get their attention. Is there anything you want other than an apology?

My first thought is the company probably doesnt give the guys time to piss, and also tell them not to go inside customer houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

FlyBoy5: How was it resolved?

I talked to the owner and discussed my concern. I told him that I wasn't looking for a free lunch but he (and his employees) should understand that folks having surveillance cameras is not outside the realm of possibilities and that there are a lot of unreasonable folks out there that would be happy to try and run a smear campaign (social media, reviews, etc.) against a company. I also mentioned the Ga. law about urinating in public and kids. Anyway, I wasn't trying to be an azz, just generally disappointed. He did mention that the guys work long hours and drink a lot of water, etc. I told him if his guys weren't getting breaks between jobs (mine took about 30 minutes) to use the bathroom then that's a management issue that should be resolved. He appreciated my candor and discussed it with the employee (he was warned but not fired..thankfully (I don't want anyone fired a few weeks before Xmas for a simple transgression). He seemed to be genuinely sorry about the incident. I paid the full amount without asking and he emailed me back to say that my next service would be free.

As for the garbage incident, that employee was terminated. We had issues for several weeks prior with trash being scattered throughout the neighborhood after collection and until the video, the company denied any wrongdoing. After I sent them the video and told them I would send it off to the local media if the littering didn't stop, they apologized profusely and I got 6 months of free trash collection and fired the employee. We haven't had an issue in the 'hood since.

Thanks for the response. Seems as if the two situations were resolved maybe even better than you anticipated. Well done.

Your lawyer is probably not licenced to practice in all 50 states. Here in the state of Georgia, if you are urinating in public and a minor sees you doing it, that is reason enough to be labeled as a sex offender. I don't agree with that, but it is the law.

True, this was in Texas and many years ago when I was in college...

His example was of someone mooning people out the window of a car.... they did not seek lawyers and plead guilty to indecent exposure... he said it will hurt them during their life.... should have consulted a lawyer and either gotten off or plead to a different charge....

The law could have changed... I can see where it can go to just a minor seeing as proving sexual gratification might be hard (no pun intended)... much easier to just prove a child saw the act...

I think my area has low expectations and more "independent" (busier) contractors.

If (BIG IF) I can ever get an electrician/plumber/carpenter/gutter cleaner/landscaper to even return my calls, let alone come and do a job, I'm thrilled.

As long as they don't break/steal anything and get the job done I don't care what else they do; send me the bill!

Our town provided trash collection is equally erratic. IF they come, they bypass every few houses, won't pick up if there's a car blocking the sidewalk and leave half the trash in the bin. Lots of people have taken to dropping off small bags of trash to drop off at work instead.

Last edited:
One of the earlier posts mentioned urine as hazardous waste. Not so with healthy people as urine is generally sterile, though the acidity will cause damage to some metal surfaces. As to the reference about not washing hands after urination, I generally do not wash my hands after urinating in public restrooms as I know my private parts are cleaner than the handles on the sinks. I am also careful not to p on my hands.

Take all the time you would have wasted on retribution and find something to enrich your life.
You know, I have read several remarks that pretty much say "get a life" but this one is especially offensive to me. I simply asked if I was being reasonable and soliciting ideas from the forum members on a course of action. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on if I should "enrich my life". My life is enriched enough, thank you very much.
The suggestion certainly not written in the spirit of "get a life" and was not intended to be offensive. I'm sorry.

Our roofer took a whiz in our back yard, rather discretely in the corner. No big deal for me. I had offered our restroom, but apparently not his preference.

Life is too short.

Take the hose to it yourself and slam them on Yelp. All done in 10 minutes.

You'd simply be punishing yourself if you try to get them to pay for cleaning or drag it out with authorities.

Take all the time you would have wasted on retribution and find something to enrich your life.

I agree. Power washing can do more damage than a hose. If it has rained since the incident nature has done the job for you.

Last time I cleaned my own gutters, the ladder fell over sideways and I broke both legs.

My builder should have never put 200' of gutters on a house with seven 60' pine trees within 60'. I recently did away with my gutter problem--by having them removed.

Just pay'em and go about enjoying your day.

As to the reference about not washing hands after urination, I generally do not wash my hands after urinating in public restrooms as I know my private parts are cleaner than the handles on the sinks. I am also careful not to p on my hands.

I guess you don't mind when your doctor doesn't wash their hands after every "turn your head and cough" exam either....:LOL:

I notice too many people (Men) in the restroom who come in, unzip, do their business, zip up and walk out. Today's modern restroom not only has handle-less faucets but no handle soap too. It is disgusting seeing how many people don't wash their hands after doing their business:sick:

If it bothered me as much as it appears to have bothered the OP, there's no way I'd use that service again. Personally, I agree with others: not a huge deal, I think emailing the company with the video (if you must) and leaving a yelp review would be enough. Pay the bill and use someone else next time.

The discontinuity to me is saying you'd want to use that company again after this incident which clearly bothered you. There are other options for your dollars.

Long story short...I don't have any intentions of falling off my roof. So, I paid a reputable company to come blow the leaves off the roof and clean the gutters. While the team was out there, I happened to notice (via security camera) that one of the employees took a break to urinate on the back of my house. I sent an email to the company with a link to video to let them know that this is pretty much unacceptable. I heard nothing back from them but got a reminder this AM to pay my bill. I am not so inclined to do so. What are the thoughts of the members here? Am I being unreasonable?

How were you harmed by this? Was this done on a grassy area? If so, nature will take care of it. If not, nothing a bit of water wouldn't take care of. I think you're being unreasonable. It doesn't seem like a whole lot to spend much time on. Then again what might be a non issue for me may not be for you. I tend to not get worked up about little things and just move on.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

..... This was in the eighties when guys openly rode on the back of garbage packer trucks, just holding on to the handhold, which I'm pretty sure is taboo from a safety standpoint. .....

Amazingly, they still do this in the area where I live...in all kinds of weather, too.

As for the OP, I'm glad this worked out for you. Unfortunately you can't win on the forum because many readers seem to think you overreacted and need to get a life. I don't agree. I had a similar situation with the company I used for several years. I thought they would appreciate me letting them know if they wanted to keep me as a customer, they could not use a blower to clean wet leaves from my gutters because it makes a nasty mess on my siding and windows. They eventually waived the bill in my case but it was a long drawn out process and I still had dirty windows and siding. This let me know to use another service for this chore in the future. I think the way you judge a business is how they handle problems when they arise.

Last edited:
Life is too short.

Take the hose to it yourself and slam them on Yelp. All done in 10 minutes.

You'd simply be punishing yourself if you try to get them to pay for cleaning or drag it out with authorities.

Excellent advice! This doesn't seem worth the negative energy. Yelp if you feel the need and move on to bigger and better things!

I came home one day a few months ago and happened to walk around the back of the house. As I walked around the corner, I chanced upon a workman taking a leak up against the side of the house. Can't say I was too thrilled, but as this particular workman was the owner of the place I live in, I let it pass. He's 80 years old and, along with his nephew, does the maintenance on all of his properties.

68 posts so far on a guy taking a leak. Gotta love this forum :LOL:

I have no real issues with paying the amount. They completed the service as requested. I am not too happy that there has been no response, but there have been 20 views of the "private" video I sent them...so they KNOW it happened.

20 views!?!?!

They're all standing around the shop laughing about it. "Hey Randy, they got you on Candid Camera with your pecker out!" :D

No advice as to what you should do for payment.

I'd probably pay the bill, hose the pee spot off myself, then laugh about the ridiculous situation later. The guy relieved himself; he didn't whip it out and play with himself back there.

Of course I've peed in the woods myself a time or 100, and at least a dozen times while on the job but in a remote location (only came close to getting caught a couple times). So my hands aren't entirely clean, and I might be biased in favor of the poor workman with a tiny bladder.

, and I might be biased in favor of the poor workman with a tiny bladder.

A man's opinion changes once he hits 60 or so...you start to know where every men's room in town is.

Just going to throw out another view on this...

We had a workman who needed to pee.... so knocked on the door and asked... of course we let him in....

But, after leaving, DW was pretty mad.... he had dirt on his shoes and was a pretty bad aim.... now, the RR is just a step inside the back door... literally the RR door and back door will hit each other if both are opened at the same time.... but if you listen to DW, the guy stepped everywhere inside the house....

I would prefer they go behind the garage and use the bush instead of the bricks or siding.... and not near the house... (but, we have a detached garage)...

... As to the reference about not washing hands after urination, I generally do not wash my hands after urinating in public restrooms as I know my private parts are cleaner than the handles on the sinks. I am also careful not to p on my hands.

I guess you don't mind when your doctor doesn't wash their hands after every "turn your head and cough" exam either....:LOL:

I notice too many people (Men) in the restroom who come in, unzip, do their business, zip up and walk out. Today's modern restroom not only has handle-less faucets but no handle soap too. It is disgusting seeing how many people don't wash their hands after doing their business:sick:

Ronnieboy - for me it's disgusting to see how many public washrooms have handles that I need to grab to exit. So after I wash my hands, I have to grab that handle that the people who didn't wash their hands have touched? I'll use a paper towel if they have one, or my cuff if they don't, or wait for someone else to open the door! And maybe they touched that handle after a '#2' which is a more serious sanitary issue.

I really don't get the big deal about washing after a p either. It might make more sense to wash before. My privates are clean, and they are tucked away, not getting exposed to germs like my hands are. Of course, I don;t know if that other person has decent personal hygiene. It makes me wish we'd get away from the handshaking ritual. Especially in medical facilities. My Mom's been in the hospital and skilled nursing for a while, and I just can't believe how many of the medical staff reach out to shake hands with me. Just introduce yourself and nod please - we don't need to be spreading germs in a hospital.

-ERD50

Ronnieboy - for me it's disgusting to see how many public washrooms have handles that I need to grab to exit. So after I wash my hands, I have to grab that handle that the people who didn't wash their hands have touched? I'll use a paper towel if they have one, or my cuff if they don't, or wait for someone else to open the door! And maybe they touched that handle after a '#2' which is a more serious sanitary issue.

I really don't get the big deal about washing after a p either. It might make more sense to wash before. My privates are clean, and they are tucked away, not getting exposed to germs like my hands are. Of course, I don;t know if that other person has decent personal hygiene. It makes me wish we'd get away from the handshaking ritual. Especially in medical facilities. My Mom's been in the hospital and skilled nursing for a while, and I just can't believe how many of the medical staff reach out to shake hands with me. Just introduce yourself and nod please - we don't need to be spreading germs in a hospital.

-ERD50

Since we all agree its clean, maybe we got it backwards. Maybe we should wash our hands before not after we go. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A man's opinion changes once he hits 60 or so...you start to know where every men's room in town is.

Have to agree with the age issue since I am past 60. Plus, you get to plan driving trips in more detail!

On my frequent 230 mile runs to Ft. Worth, Texas from Houston, I can tell you where every McDonalds location is along I-45. That's my "preferred Potty Stop" since the newer ones have three urinals. If I am on a route I don't know, I use my Garmin to find them (or another alternative). :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom