Unusual Things Insured

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I had no idea that these things could be insured. I guess there's a market for all kinds of insurance.

The list goes on and on and is (not surprisingly) skewed toward the rich and famous, so for this week, we narrowed it down to our 4 favorite over-the-top celebrity insurance policies.
1. Troy Polamalu’s locks
Troy Polamalu may be famous for being one of the NFL’s most fearsome defenders but it’s his hair that’s getting all the press recently. Lloyd’s of London insured his Rapunzel-like locks for $1,000,000.
2. Ben Turpin’s crossed eyes
Unless you’re a trivia fanatic, almost 100, or both, you might not know about Ben Turpin, but he made insurance history in the 1920s. Famous in silent films for the expressiveness of his crossed eyes, Turpin took out a $20,000 policy with Lloyd’s to insure them from uncrossing. And they never did!
3. Merv Hughes’ mustache
Cricketer Merv Hughes, famous for his distinctive (and impressive) walrus mustache, took out a £200,000 insurance policy on his luxuriant ‘stache during his stint with the Australian cricket team. Didn’t know that a mustache could be such a valuable asset, did you? (Okay, maybe you did.)
4. Mariah Carey’s legs
Betty Grable may have been the first woman to insure her legs in the 1940s, but Mariah Carey has her outstepped. After winning Gillette’s “Legs of a Goddess” award in 2006, she reportedly took out a billion-dollar policy on her god-like gams. Carey neither confirmed nor denied the rumor, so this little tidbit is either insurance myth or insurance history. Either way, billion-dollar legs? Take that, 6 Million Dollar Man!
The Weirdest Things Ever Insured (Part 1)

Back
Top Bottom