US to Canada for Holiday Ski Trip

Border is now closed until October 21st. I’m skeptical it’ll open this year.

The credit I had for Epic passes from last year expired yesterday. At this point, I’m not going to book or buy anything that isn’t guaranteed. If the border opens up before ski season is over, maybe we’ll take a trip to Whistler. Otherwise, I’m going to stay local.

No refund - just a credit toward a future Air Canada flight. So no vacation for her this year - not even a Staycation. Her money is tied up in Air Canada.
It's often said that Air Canada's motto is "We're not happy until you're not happy."

At this point, I’m not going to book or buy anything that isn’t guaranteed.
I made that same decision back in March when I lost a chunk of change to some European hotels that refused to give refunds.

We had a Duoro River tour booked but took cancellation insurance so we are only out 10%.

Entered Canada long before Covid (3 years ago.) Was surprised at how "through" the questioning was from Canadian official at entry point. Took perhaps 10 minutes with very probing questions. I don't think of myself as particularly suspicious looking (old guy dressed average in average car.) For some reason, inspector seemed to be quite skeptical. I wondered if it was some sort of (then) current political animosity between our countries.

Wonder if that attitude has changed since then. Oddly, l've had skeptical US customs questioning upon return from Canada but not this time. It was more of a "Welcome home." Go figure. Just wondering if Covid has chilled entry even more. I always thought folks entering for "tourism" would be most welcome as tourists tend to leave a lot of money. I realize this is just a single experience but I was surprised. YMMV

We drove about 1000 miles on the other side of Boston once--Cape Breton Island and Sydney. I honestly don't care to go back to that part of Canada with the cheapest beer @ $12.99 a six pack and 15% sales taxes. We much better liked Maine's coastline and towns like Camden where travel was so much cheaper.

And we were questioned at the border but were not hassled in any way. We were just regular tourists.

Entered Canada long before Covid (3 years ago.) Was surprised at how "through" the questioning was from Canadian official at entry point. Took perhaps 10 minutes with very probing questions. I don't think of myself as particularly suspicious looking (old guy dressed average in average car.) For some reason, inspector seemed to be quite skeptical. I wondered if it was some sort of (then) current political animosity between our countries.
I'm no border crossing veteran, but how you look isn't the only factor. Maybe they had a raised threat level or tip, possibly for someone matching your profile. Or maybe they were told to ask more questions of every 10th traveler. Or maybe the officer was having a lousy day and decided to take it out on you.

I'm no border crossing veteran, but how you look isn't the only factor. Maybe they had a raised threat level or tip, possibly for someone matching your profile. Or maybe they were told to ask more questions of every 10th traveler. Or maybe the officer was having a lousy day and decided to take it out on you.

My impression was that he was a jerk or just hated Americans, but that's probably just my reaction to being so thoroughly, unprofessionally, and sarcastically questioned. I certainly don't deny a country's right to be certain about the folks they allow into their country - ooops! Sounds political.:angel:

Perhaps I'm just recalling the "good old days" when border crossings were "Good morning sir. Where are you heading today in Canada? How long will you be staying? Do you have any firearms in your vehicle? Have a wonderful trip in Canada!"

Last time I got the "evil eye" when entering Canada was after graduation from University. I was 22 with uncharacteristically short hair (for a student.) Questions were whether I was a member of the US military, whether I was seeking asylum from the draft, etc. etc. Still it was much more friendly and professional than my last (and I do mean last) trip to Canada. Full disclosure: I no longer have any need to return to Canada. I already meet plenty of great Canadian folks here in Paradise (well, before the Pandemic. Looking forward to their return. They really love Hawaii which endears them to me.) YMMV

Perhaps I'm just recalling the "good old days" when border crossings were "Good morning sir. Where are you heading today in Canada? How long will you be staying? Do you have any firearms in your vehicle? Have a wonderful trip in Canada!"

I agree with the differences between the "good old days" and today.

I have traveled and lived internationally from the time I was 7 yrs in 1955 until now. I am ashamed to say that what I have observed has been an increase in the rude and inconsiderate behavior of many Americans. It is no wonder we have earned the title of "The Ugly American" taken from a book in the late 50s that was a scathing critique of our bad behavior abroad.
It would not surprise me that border guards get annoyed with having to deal with those kinds of people daily. You may have been the next in line after a few cars of complaining and rude "ugly americans".
Even Saint Teresa would probably lose it once in awhile.
Like it or not we are judged by the company we keep.

Cheers!

It is no wonder we have earned the title of "The Ugly American" taken from a book in the late 50s that was a scathing critique of our bad behavior abroad.

According to some Italians I know the Ugly Americans were replaced by the Germans, who have been replaced by the Chinese. Relax. :D

Most of the really bad behavior I have seen when traveling has been by the DYKWIA people. Rude, cutting ahead of people in line, arguing over rules, demanding services they have not paid for, demanding priority over others, shouting and nasty because a shop owner won't give them the price they demand, etc. etc. etc. These people span races, nationalities, geographic areas, gender, you name it.

DYKWIA - Do You Know Who I Am

Back to the topic, I traveled to Canada fairly often for years. Only once was I told to park my car and brought in for questioning. To this day I have no idea why. My guess is that they were alerted about somebody fitting my general description.

Last edited:
I'd go to Canada a few times a year and never had any issues at the border.

They were always pleasant, except for maybe one time when they asked me why I was going to Canada and I said, for sushi and a movie. Probably not the answer they were expecting. :)

I can't wait until the border opens again. We finally got Nexus passes this year and we didn't even get a chance to try them out.

I agree with the differences between the "good old days" and today.

I have traveled and lived internationally from the time I was 7 yrs in 1955 until now. I am ashamed to say that what I have observed has been an increase in the rude and inconsiderate behavior of many Americans. It is no wonder we have earned the title of "The Ugly American" taken from a book in the late 50s that was a scathing critique of our bad behavior abroad.
It would not surprise me that border guards get annoyed with having to deal with those kinds of people daily. You may have been the next in line after a few cars of complaining and rude "ugly americans".
Even Saint Teresa would probably lose it once in awhile.
Like it or not we are judged by the company we keep.

Cheers!

Interesting take. I recall being surprised that almost, every car in front of me (probably 3 or 4) and most beside me were Canadians returning from the USA. No idea why the Canadians would have converged at that particular time of the day (around 10:00AM). I'm guessing because it was a Monday and folks perhaps had spent long weekends in the USA. Perhaps THEY were the ugly "Americans." :(

We regularly take trips to Canada every year, except this year.
Our experience over the past 20 years has been in general:
The US Customs are more pleasant to deal with.
Many Canadian Customs officers are nice, but some are just nasty.

Only once coming back into US, was I surprised as they wanted to know how much $$ I was bringing back, which was weird, and also made me wonder if they somehow knew I had done a lot of banking while in Canada :confused: The rules are under $10K is fine, but over you need it declare it immediately or it can be seized. I was far under, so no worries.

Going into Canada, I've been questioned a lot on the trip, where staying, etc. Plus the alcohol bottle size. Am I bringing in construction supplies :confused: , etc..

On the other hand, one time going into Canada, DW forgot her passport which we found out at the crossing, so told them we forgot it, and had to go to immigration.
They let us into the country anyhow, and we had the passport fedex'd into Canada so we could return to the USA easily when we left.

Interesting stories. I'm another one who loves Canada and I've visited dozens of times. In general, I've found the difference between the border guards to be that Canadians ask many more questions and US guards ask fewer but stranger questions. I've honestly never found any of them to be actually unpleasant, just occasionally puzzling.

Also, things definitely got quicker and easier some years ago since getting a NEXUS card. That expedites everything.

I said something similar a few years ago going from Canada to the US, "A cheap buffet and a movie", but that answer would no longer make sense as my CAD will not buy much in the US currently.
I'd go to Canada a few times a year and never had any issues at the border.

They were always pleasant, except for maybe one time when they asked me why I was going to Canada and I said, for sushi and a movie. Probably not the answer they were expecting. :)

I can't wait until the border opens again. We finally got Nexus passes this year and we didn't even get a chance to try them out.

Last edited:
I did something stupid at the border in my early twenties as well.. crossing into Buffalo for some wings one Sunday. They asked where I was going and I said "nowhere in particular". He asked what I did for a living.. I rightfully said unemployed.

Three hours of my life I'll never get back....:LOL:

I've crossed between Canada and the US many hundreds of times for leisure and business. From NB/ME all the way to BC/WA. I do find the Canadian agents more inquisitive but the US agents more aggressive.

I don't blame them and I certainly wouldn't have a hissy fit over it. It's their job. They are there to keep us "safe". And I wouldn't make the mistake of conflating the attitude of a border agent with the populace in general.

I will warn you though. Don't show up on Wednesday mornings at the crossings between small town Saskatchewan and Montana. Those guys just have NOTHING to do and will chat your ears off...:D

I'm sure that one's country of origin has a large impact on how border guards are likely to interact with an individual. I've also crossed hundreds of times and it's clear that things have changed markedly over the years and continue to change depending on the state of things in the world and relationship between the two countries. In my experience, there can also be marked differences between crossings as well.

I did something stupid at the border in my early twenties as well.. crossing into Buffalo for some wings one Sunday. They asked where I was going and I said "nowhere in particular". He asked what I did for a living.. I rightfully said unemployed.

Three hours of my life I'll never get back....:LOL:

Me too when I was young, but driving back into Canada after a quick crossing into the USA for some cheap booze.

Officer asks, how long was I in the States? I told him "about an hour".
Officer asks Why? To buy some booze....
Officer says: Pull over here and bring in your booze... :facepalm::facepalm:

I only did that the one time ... :LOL:

I live near the Canadian border. CBC radio (like NPR) announced yesterday that the border will reopen on November 21 at the very earliest.

fyi for your travel plans

I know many people that the wife is from Canada or vise versa and live in US. They can't get up to see their loved ones. It has been a rough time for them. I live on the border pretty close and the trade between both countries has been devastating. I'm not saying it wasn't a good thing the border was closed but it's been hard on business.

I live near the Canadian border. CBC radio (like NPR) announced yesterday that the border will reopen on November 21 at the very earliest.

fyi for your travel plans
On about the 19th of every month they announce that the border is shut for another month. The press release read 'border will remain closed until at least November 21st'. Apparently, the leaders of the two countries have quite different views regarding the next step. Go figure! I wouldn't be holding my breath on re-opening.

Last edited:
I saw that the border opening was pushed out another month last night. I’m not surprised. Every time we get close to the date, they push it out another month. I’m sure we’ll see the same again next month.

I don’t expect the border to open until sometime next year and maybe not until 2022.

In all fairness, if I were Canada I would keep America out too. But it's a shame you can't enjoy the ski trip.

But we have a couple of trips planned there for next summer so I really hope things work out.

Heck, the way things are going I'm not even sure if our planned domestic ski trip to Colorado inearly February will actually happen.

Heck, the way things are going I'm not even sure if our planned domestic ski trip to Colorado inearly February will actually happen.
Yes it seems things are headed in that direction. Either outright banned or just not at all advisable. I'd be very surprised to see the US-Canada border open without restrictions before May.

Back
Top Bottom