USAF retirees offered opportunity to "unretire"

I saw that. Hard pass for me. My goal is to be interviewed by the retiree afterburner magazine as the longest living DFAS recipient.

Can't imagine going back to a flying job. So much memorization of regulations, aircraft procedures, etc. My brain is a little mushy and probably not capable.

I'm still in, and the way they structured this is not particularly appealing for most. The only real benefit to participating in this program would be an incremental increase (via extra years of service) of your retirement pay. At most (doing another 4 years), you'd get another 10% of base pay, plus 4 more yrs of service credited. For an O-5 going from 20 to 24 years, an extra roughly $1300/mo .... For an E-7 going from 20-24 years, roughly $750/mo extra. Those numbers are decent (a pension boost of perhaps 20%), but not wildly compelling.

I seriously doubt the AF would want me back. Been retired for 30 years, got a pacemaker, and the airplanes I flew were retired a long time ago.

I seriously doubt the AF would want me back. Been retired for 30 years, got a pacemaker, and the airplanes I flew were retired a long time ago.

LOL, were they prop jobs:confused:

Can't imagine going back to a flying job. So much memorization of regulations, aircraft procedures, etc. My brain is a little mushy and probably not capable.

The last time the AF offered a deal like this, it was for the newly unretired to fill boring staff jobs, not cockpits.

So not the B-52? :LOL:

No way. I still have nightmares about being one credit short to graduate from college and of Stan Eval waiting to jump me in Base Ops. It was fun, but it's over.

One rule for aircrew is that you have to have been rated for a USAF plane within the past 10 years.

For most pilots, it doesn't make any sense. Most of them are now at the airlines, making much better pay, and not dealing with a deployment. But there are a few people that love being in the military, even if they have to take a pay cut and know that they are ineligible for promotion.

No way. I still have nightmares about being one credit short to graduate from college and of Stan Eval waiting to jump me in Base Ops. It was fun, but it's over.

When you're young you can do anything

"The good times are only good when you've had 'em."

Dean Martin in Ocean's Eleven

The last time the AF offered a deal like this, it was for the newly unretired to fill boring staff jobs, not cockpits.

Well, it is called the Chair Force.

Will be interesting to see how this program works out. With overall recruitment and retention goals not being met, I wouldn't hold my breath on this initiative being successful. Maybe in a down economy but certainly not at this point in time. That said, God bless all those who serve.

LOL, were they prop jobs:confused:

Only one. The T-29. The rest were F-105G and then the F-4G. My brother flew C-130. He flew special ops to drop off snake eaters. My father started off in the army air corp in WW2 flying bombers. Middle brother wa a snake eater. He just jumped out of them.

Attachments

• T29 Cammo.jpg
    T29 Cammo.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1
A family friend un-retired the last time they did something like this (~2009?). He retired a few years prior, but I don't recall if he was working another job on the outside, or if he was simply enjoying the retired life. He was a flyer (mission crew, not a pilot), and he did go back to flying. He went into a flying training unit, teaching the new guys how to do the job. He did that for a couple years, then was back out again. He was happy with the opportunity, and enjoyed the extra time as an instructor, which is mostly what he was doing before he retired the first time.

His situation is the sort that this kind of program is great for. He loved what he did, and bringing him back in as an instructor alleviated the need for an "actually active" person working the the training squadron, who could instead be flying the real missions overseas. Plus, as an old head, he had lots of experience & perspective that was valuable to pass along to new folks.

It's not really a joke.

Attachments

• 421228369_1514579069108179_6457822578432019238_n.png
    421228369_1514579069108179_6457822578432019238_n.png
    498.6 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom