Using PE/10

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Am am confused at the volatility of Schiller's daily PE/10 ratio. I read a good article about it a few years ago that talked about using it to ballpark the effect of current valuations on SWR. I can't find the article but the gist of it was that you divide 1 by PE/10 to get the SWR. The article recommended using .83 by PE/10 for a more conservative estimate. I do not use this approach for my own withdrawals (I am way under the rates predicted by this method) but I do keep a line in my spreadsheet for .83/PE10 x portfolio to maintain a data point tracking the predicted number. I last updated it before the recent slump and it was 20.5 or something. Today I updated it and it was 15.25. 1/15.25 = 6.5%. .83/15.25 = 5.4%. .83/20.5 (a few months ago) = 4%. These numbers seem to jump around too much to have value. The idea of PE/10 is to smooth things out by averaging in a ten year period. It just doesn't seem like the last month should have effected it by 20-25% as would be indicated by these numbers.

Any one else track this data? Does anyone know the URL for my missing article so I can re-read and see what I am missing? :)

I don't track it. I was researching it and that is how I first got introduced to *****. My head exploded.

What I don't understand is, How does a lagging indicator help with the future? It seems what PE 10 advocates is backwards looking, but it certainly has no guarantees of the future. I also don't like that it is deterministic. Perhaps using it as a forecast is helpful, but I like my ranges and probabilities... :)

Here is a Boglehead thread which may be of interest. Reader's digest version, the site Don links to changed the way they calculated the P/E.

Bogleheads • View topic - What has moved PE10 so much.. at 15

And if I would have read the pg Don originally linked to more carefully, I would have seen the following....

For the Shiller PE10 Ratio, see Shiller PE.

Current Shiller PE is 21.27

I"m new to this chart and would never use it as gospel, but does this imply that on 'year X' you could WD X% and the other year WD Y% based on where things are on the curve?

Just not sure what this chart is saying.

Am I answering my own question to state: it wouldn't be wise to start WD ~22% back in 1999 and keep WD that amount steadily.

Last edited:
Certainly the start of the 10 year period is hitting near the bottom of the ".com" bust and 2003 will have a steep up slope to keep thing interesting for a while. Lots of volatility at that end as well as right now. I would think it would be getting a little more reasonable now without two big market crashes within its time frame.

Back
Top Bottom