Utah's "Mighty Five" National Parks in May

It’s been a while since I visited Cortez, but I always enjoyed the town.

We were through there last year. It’s rundown, with not much to see and do. People use it as base for Mesa Verde, but Durango has so much more to offer in lodging, dining and activities.
Durango and Ouray, with Silverton in between is some of the best scenery in Colorado - they are all on the million dollar highway.

We were through there last year. It’s rundown, with not much to see and do. People use it as base for Mesa Verde, but Durango has so much more to offer in lodging, dining and activities.
Durango and Ouray, with Silverton in between is some of the best scenery in Colorado - they are all on the million dollar highway.
I guess it’s really changed then.

Reviving a spring thread for my fall trip plans.

I understand Antelope needs a guide and isn't on DST, but what I'm wondering is the booking options. The calendar for October isn't open yet on the Navajo Nation web site (they open booking a month or two in advance), but other outfits will take your booking now (pink jeep, and others). I'm trying to see what the difference would be. Anyone have experience with this?

I understand Antelope needs a guide and isn't on DST, but what I'm wondering is the booking options. The calendar for October isn't open yet on the Navajo Nation web site (they open booking a month or two in advance), but other outfits will take your booking now (pink jeep, and others). I'm trying to see what the difference would be. Anyone have experience with this?

A handful of years ago when we went, we booked with Ken's Tours. We had a great time and felt they ran things well.

Best regards,
Chris

DW and I drove through several of the parks on a lightning trip westbound from New York. I think our highlight was driving the Burr trail from Bullfrog over to escalante, through Capital reef National Park.
Highway 12 is indeed spectacular on the way over to Bryce!
My wife was driving shortly after we left Capitol reef and she pulled over and said you can go ahead and drive now. One section of it is called the hogback and it's a spine that the state highway goes down with a drop off on each side of you.

We did the Navajo. Did not see any pink jeeps.

But booking was not hard. I think. We booked a week out.

And definitely a highlight of the trip.

After more digging, I understand that there are dozens of tour operators that are middlemen. There are apparently only two outfits that actually do the tours, the Navajo direct booking is one. A lot of the tour operators do the service of transporting the tourist from the city to the remote location, and also buy the tour ticket for their busload.

Last year I did this one www.antelopecanyon.com which is Navajo owned. Excellent tour and they operate on Phoenix time. I do recommend them and it's very wise to book early as they are seldom able to do walk-ins.

The Navajo reservation is on Mountain Standard Time. Even the portion that is in Utah which is MDT.

Can be confusing.

Last year I did this one www.antelopecanyon.com which is Navajo owned. Excellent tour and they operate on Phoenix time. I do recommend them and it's very wise to book early as they are seldom able to do walk-ins.
Thanks for the specifics.

We pick up a van in Salt Lake City and drop it in Phoenix. Page is one of our Airbnb's, yes.

I case someone comes through here to this thread at a later time, here's a good starting point for booking Antelope Canyon:

https://navajonationparks.org/guided-tour-operators/antelope-canyon-tour-operators/

This lists all the official tour operators (two for lower and five for upper, at this time). Anyone else is a reseller. Resellers can be great if you're not already in Page, because they handle the long-distance travel leg, plus the entry to the tours.

Most of the tour operator web sites have real time booking, showing availability or not for your preferred day/time. And most offer refunds of all except for $6+/- booking fee (if cancelled within 48 or 72 hours). Some are no-refund, and some include refund if you pay a bit more. The prices on upper were wider than the two lower offerings, but it could be some operators have extras (I didn't look that closely). Also, I didn't dig into the reviews for each tour operator, so can't say if direct comparison is fair. I had to book based on availability, because my early October date was filling up on the best times of day.

I'm assuming the total cost for an extensive tour (3 weeks plus) of the Mighty Five and the State of Utah, in general - is a BTD+.

Did anyone ever make a guess as to the cost for your travels there?

As DW and I are now a bit decrepit (we walk - but we don't "hike"), is such a trip possible for us?

Does any tour company say: Fly to this airport, we'll pick you up, show you everything, include nice lodging, and then bring you back to this (or different) airport all for $XXXX per couple? Thanks

Koolau,

I say they do just because we saw tour busses. Some of the parks are very drivable. Bryce Canyon for example is mostly driving from overlook to overlook. You get a really good view without hiking. Canyonlands too. At Moab they have jeep tours you can hire. Moab is right at Arches NP and near Canyonlands (2 of the Mighty 5).

We just did 3 weeks in May. It was not prohibitive. Parks are cheap, get a $20 annual national parks senior pass. We just stayed in regular hotels, mostly $100-250 per night. Renting a car for that period was about $950. So those costs plus food. If you stayed in the parks it would be more. These were booked as we just planned about 2 weeks out.

Very do-able.

Koolau,

I say they do just because we saw tour busses. Some of the parks are very drivable. Bryce Canyon for example is mostly driving from overlook to overlook. You get a really good view without hiking. Canyonlands too. At Moab they have jeep tours you can hire. Moab is right at Arches NP and near Canyonlands (2 of the Mighty 5).

We just did 3 weeks in May. It was not prohibitive. Parks are cheap, get a $20 annual national parks senior pass. We just stayed in regular hotels, mostly $100-250 per night. Renting a car for that period was about $950. So those costs plus food. If you stayed in the parks it would be more. These were booked as we just planned about 2 weeks out.

Very do-able.

(Heh, heh, I was hoping for some senior trip with a bunch of old folks on a Grayline type bus, hitting all the highlights.)

Thanks. My guess is, if we do it, we'd drive from the midwest and check out things in between. Then drive what we could once there and park and ride for the remainder. Much aloha.

Most Nation Parks are setup to give all visitors a descent experience. Obviously, if you can do a 10 mile round trip day hike or a backpack into the wilderness you will see more than simply driving about the park.

But…. The Parks are for everybody and the National Park Service is smart. They realize their public support depends on all sectors of the public being able to have a - dare I say it - Wilderness Experience - regardless of their level of fitness. That’s why we the public love them so much. If you can only walk a few hundred yards you can still enjoy most National Parks.

For some of us a wilderness experience means driving from one viewpoint to the other, stopping to take in the view and a few photos, and then driving to the next scenic wonder. Others, go for a 5 day backpack and if they see more than two or three other people a day, their wilderness experience is diminished. Most of us are in between.

Bring hiking poles. They really do let you go a bit farther.

Last edited:
But…. The Parks are for everybody and the National Park Service is smart. They realize their public support depends on all sectors of the public being able to have a - dare I say it - Wilderness Experience regardless of their level of fitness. That’s why we the public love them so much. If you can only walk a few hundred yards you can still enjoy most National Parks.

We were completely impressed by the National Park Service when we visited Castillo de San Marcos National Monument in St. Augustine, Fl. These folks are well trained, polite and sensitive to their "guests" needs.

https://www.nps.gov/casa/index.htm

Impressed enough to buy the lifetime membership. BIG savings on entry to any National Park.

Thanks, Chuckanut!

Buy the way I have noticed a trend to call a lot of things like monuments, recreation areas, etc. national parks with lower-case letters. The term “National Parks” capitalized, is reserved for THE National Parks such as Yellowstone, Arches, Smokey Mountains, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc. These parks are operated exclusively by the National Park Service. The national parks are operated by a variety of government institutions, including the NPS but not limited to it.

There are only 60+ National Parks. But, there are nearly 400 national parks. And the national parks are often worth visiting. Some are better than the nearby National Parks especially during the crowded travel season. Colorado National Monument comes to mind.

FWIW, toss in the State Parks for some interesting sites also. And the state parks often have HOT water and showers in the restrooms. Very nice.

Last edited:
As DW and I are now a bit decrepit (we walk - but we don't "hike"), is such a trip possible for us?

I would highly recommend Redwood National Park if one wishes to walk but not hike. It’s located near several cities that have plenty of rooms, restaurants and such. Many of the trails are essentially flat walks or gently sloped walks through these magnificent trees. I was there during the busy Summer season and I noticed that once I wandered a few hundred yards from the visitor center I had the nice flat pathway nearly to myself. Carry a hiking pole for stability and good high top boots. I found that good hiking boots make me a lot more stable. Note: Redwoods NP is co-operated with California State Parks.

OK back on topic.

I agree the Utah Parks are perfectly doable in a car. Most of them depend on nearby towns for rooms, food, etc. So bring water, snacks and a picnic lunch.

Last edited:
(Heh, heh, I was hoping for some senior trip with a bunch of old folks on a Grayline type bus, hitting all the highlights.)

Thanks. My guess is, if we do it, we'd drive from the midwest and check out things in between. Then drive what we could once there and park and ride for the remainder. Much aloha.

If you Google "Mighty Five bus tours" you will see lots of options.

Road Scholar, etc.

Koolau,

Very do-able.

Thanks so much for this summary. How was the weather in May?

I need to do a complete one. May weather was great. Cool mornings , warm afternoons but not too hot. Shorts every day. We got there early May and left Friday before Memorial Day-wise to be gone by then.

Back
Top Bottom