vaccine for 63 year olds?

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just made an appointment in early September for my annual wellness check. My doctor normally reviews my vaccine history and would suggest something that I have not taken.

Last year, he suggested shingles vaccine. I just got the 2nd dose recently. Over the years, I also received hepatitis A, and B. Rabies vaccine (after bitten by a dog). Pneumonia vaccine (after lung surgery). The only other vaccine that I remember receiving as a child is BCG (for TB) vaccine.

I will likely receive the flu shot in his office. What are the other vaccines for a 63 year old man?

I just made an appointment in early September for my annual wellness check. My doctor normally reviews my vaccine history and would suggest something that I have not taken.

Last year, he suggested shingles vaccine. I just got the 2nd dose recently. Over the years, I also received hepatitis A, and B. Rabies vaccine (after bitten by a dog). Pneumonia vaccine (after lung surgery). The only other vaccine that I remember receiving as a child is BCG (for TB) vaccine.

I will likely receive the flu shot in his office. What are the other vaccines for a 63 year old man?
You might want to wait until October/November for the flu vaccine. If you get it too early it doesn't last thru the winter if I remember correctly.

anyone get tested for Hepatitis C?

I'm going on 62, a baby boomer, haven't thought about this till I saw an article that we are supposed to be tested.

anyone get tested for Hepatitis C?

I'm going on 62, a baby boomer, haven't thought about this till I saw an article that we are supposed to be tested.

I'm 65. Yes, I was already thinking about it, then my doctor recommended it at my annual physical, so I added it to my annual blood test. Insurance covered it. Thankfully, the test says I don't have Hep C!

I tried to get a yellow fever vaccine this year, but they would not give me as I was over 65,

Every 10 years is my understanding.

I recently got a measles vaccine because I’m traveling to an area that had a recent major outbreak.

Sadly measles is on the upswing again largely due to the anti-vax movement. The CDC recommends you get an MMR booster unless you have "presumptive evidence of immunity." You can see the full recommendations under the Evidence of Immunity heading here:

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/hcp/index.html#immunity

You appear to be right on the cusp for date of birth so if you don't know that you're immune you should be tested or get a booster. My wife was in that group so went to the pharmacy and got the booster which was fully paid under her (ACA) health insurance policy.

Yes I did all that. I remember having measles as a young child, but that did not meet the evidence of immunity guidelines. Just went ahead and got the vaccine anyway. I didn’t want to bother with testing and insurance covered the vaccine.

My sister later told me she had our old vaccination cards somewhere and we’d been vaccinated as teenagers when we went to school in the US. :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom