New CDC Recommendations for pneumonia vaccination

RetMD21

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The recommendations are for ≥ 65 or younger with certain health conditions
PCV 20 alone or
PCV 15 followed by PPSV23

If you previously had PPSV23 you MAY get PCV15 or PCV20

There are complications for some medical conditions especially in folks who were getting PCV13 followed by repeated doses of PPSV23 explained in the link

I was glad to get PCV20 since I had the old Pneumovax (ppsv23) last year

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/downloads/pneumo-vaccine-timing.pdf

Some of the online websites haven't caught up. Check with your doctor for your particular situation

^^^^ Oh that document was easy to understand... (Not)

My PCP said when I got the "Prevnar 23" (IIRC) a few years ago, I was done for life... So be it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the CDC update, RetMD21!

I see that these tables are dated 04/01/22. I must have last checked before that date, as when I last checked, they did not have a clear path of what to do for people like me, who received Pneumovax 23 (PPSV23), and only that, when they were over age 65.

Having Pneumovax 23-only was the general one-and-done shot for a while for those 65 and over who did not have any of the limiting conditions. That's the time period when I got mine back in October of 2020. And DW too, some time before that.

And before THAT, the recommendation was PCV13, followed a year later by Pneumovax 23.

Sooo... DW & I each need to pick up the PCV20 sometime. After we both check our respective insurances (I'm Original Medicare, she's work insurance plus Medicare Part A, so her work ins. would be the payer for her) to see that they are covered now.

And... I like the new layout format. It is easier for me to follow than the previous format! Yes, Car-Guy, it was worse before! :)

For example - A guy > age 65 walks into a pharmacy, and yells at the Pharmacist, "Gimmee one oh those Noom-O-Cock-Al shots!"

And the Pharmacist replies "which one?"
The guy yells back "hell if I know, I can't figure it out, so gimmee ALL o them!"
"Can't do that", says the Pharmacist, "the government isn't going to pay for all of them"
"Awww rats!" says the guy. "Tell ya what... just squeeze a little bit out O each one, mix'em all together, put it into one shot thing, and give it to me!"
Pharmacist: "Ohh... you're thinking of that lime in the coconut thing. Go to Costco for that!" ... "NEXT!"

I have no idea what pneumo vax I got, just that I got one.

I received one in 2018 when I was 62, so could that be PPSV23? Now that I am > 65, I guess I should call my doctor to see if I should get PCV 15.

There are historical reasons why the recommendations were complicated and ever-changing but now for most people it is simple. Walgreens first told me that I wasn't eligible but that pharmacist was guessing. The head pharmacist looked at a program they have on their computer to confirm eligibility. I think for Medicare recipients this is a part B rather than D vaccine which makes it simpler. My Walgreens didn't have the PCV15.

I had no symptoms at all.

I have seen some online recommendations that folks over 65 who had Pneumovax should have another vaccination but the CDC document says may. Seems like a good think to ask your doctor if you have questions.

I had a pneumonia vaccine in the fall of 2020. I took care of the pneumonia and Shingrex vaccines while I was waiting for the Covid vaccine.

(I had a flu vaccine in February of 2020; and about three weeks later was diagnosed with pneumonia along with an undiagnosed/ mystery virus (early March 2020). This prompted me to get my pneumonia vaccine in lieu of a flu vaccine that year.) I'll check after my 65th birthday regarding another pneumonia vaccine . . .

Back
Top Bottom