Vanguard web site issues

Kayzmum

Recycles dryer sheets
First, I had trouble signing in. It was asking for user name and password twice, meaning I would sign in and it took me to another sign in. Then I wasn't able to view CDs or treasury bonds when I went to "transact from my brokerage account. It will let me look at ETFs and mutual funds but not CDs and treasure bonds. It says "403 Forbidden". It also won't let me use the "search" feature. I get a pop up "403 Forbidden". This is very bothersome.

This happened today at 4:28 pm. This was on Firefox and Safari browsers.

Last edited:
Could be many things. Your internet provider. A broader internet slow down or outtage.

Try a different browser. I wouldn't worry too much about it or start the move to Fidelity just yet.

That kind of behavior sounds like your browser cache is corrupted. Try clearing that.

Edit - oops, I see you tried two browsers so probably not that. But it can't hurt to clear them.

You know Vanguard and all the other providers have robots that periodically log in to do simple transactions and report to their internal support staff if there's any problems?

You know how many computers between you and Vanguard have to work perfectly in order for you to have a perfect experience when you are on Vanguard? It's a lot, and because of all the security stuff that is dragged along, financial applications are generally the canary in the coal mine.

Try booting your PC.

Give it some time. Don't try and log on too many times or you might very well find your account locked...

It was probably a Vanguard website problem. I was seeing that same problem with not being able to view CDs and bonds a couple times in recent days from both my home and work computers, when I don't recall ever seeing that problem on either computer previously. But then it would work later. Working fine now. Don't worry - it's very unlikely the issue was on your end. Just try again later.

Thanks everyone!

I was using a MAC when I had this problem and was able to get to view CDs with Bing browser on my PC but the screen was real tiny like it thought I was on a cell phone. I’m not going to worry about. I’ll try again tomorrow.

I saw the double log in and 403 error a couple days ago on my mac using Firefox and Safari and GoDuckGo browser. After a quick internet search on the problem, I cleared the cache and rebooted. Solved it foe me.

FYI
recent experience, if youre using a macbook & safari, switch your browser to google chrome...
I was in the same boat & couldnt view cd's using safari, switched to chrome & no issue...

They were doing work on the website. I noticed a change in the menu/look temporarily as well, and I also started getting requests to give feedback on the website that coincided with the problem, again, this was from multiple Windows computers (home and work), but the problem went away, so I'm sure it was just from some changes they were making on the back end. It's been working fine since on both computers. So you shouldn't have to do anything, just check back later.

I use Chrome and never had a problem. Lately, I sign in several times a week. I clear my cache after every use, even if I log out and on several times a day. Constantly clearing cookies after internet use.

I was having the same kind of issues at the end of last year. While I was able to sign in with no problems, I was unable to access anything on the fixed income platform. The first time I called customer service they said that they were aware that there were issues on the website that were being dealt with. After waiting at least a month, nothing changed. The second time I called they told me that I needed a different web browser. I too am using a Mac. That combined with the fact that their web site is somewhat archaic, I finally switched over to Fidelity. I had been a Vanguard client since the early 80s.

Today I was able to do everything on my PC with Firefox browser.

I didn't try my Mac or other browsers. I got to do what I needed so all is good now. Thanks everyone for helping me though my panic mode. :)

Vanguard has a new Cash Plus cash management account paying 4.25 percent and FDIC insured. Does not show up anywhere as an option in my account. Anyone successfully open one of these accounts?

First, I had trouble signing in. It was asking for user name and password twice, meaning I would sign in and it took me to another sign in. Then I wasn't able to view CDs or treasury bonds when I went to "transact from my brokerage account. It will let me look at ETFs and mutual funds but not CDs and treasure bonds. It says "403 Forbidden". It also won't let me use the "search" feature. I get a pop up "403 Forbidden". This is very bothersome.

This happened today at 4:28 pm. This was on Firefox and Safari browsers.

I have been having similar Vanguard login issues this week using Chrome. It's annoying.

One thing to check is if you have a Saved Bookmark, that the URL is current.

https://investor.vanguard.com/home

Vanguard has been known (and others) to change the main URL.

At one point my Vanguard Bookmark took me to a page that didn't seem to exist anymore. Something to check at least.

The above is the current "Home" for individual investors. Click Log in.

Yeah, I think, last week, Vanguard changed the login URL or retired an older one that I had bookmarked. I noticed I got redirect a couple of times trying to login. Finally just went to vanguard.com, clicked on the right links for a personal investor and then bookmarked that page.

Also, afiak the CD view page thing is an issue with cross-site scripting restrictions in Safari.

So OP might have gotten hit by two different issues at once.

Vanguard has a new Cash Plus cash management account paying 4.25 percent and FDIC insured. Does not show up anywhere as an option in my account. Anyone successfully open one of these accounts?

No, it flashed on my screen as an option when I logged in a few times - but I didn't set it up. If I tried it, I would have wanted it as a part of my settlement fund, not the entire settlement fund, but I didn't see that as a choice.

I've noticed using personal.vanguard.com immediately redirects to investor.vanguard.com/home. That's a non-issue - the website still works fine after the redirect. Anyway, that's just another sign they were doing work in the website, which sometimes breaks things temporarily. As long as they aren't doing work on the website, it works fine for me. I use firefox in Windows and have never had to clear cache. I do autodelete cookies. Anyway, I'm not seeing any problems with the CD view lately, anymore. Never used a Mac or Safari with Vanguard. Enjoy.

Anyone use the Vanguard IOS app? For some functions it just goes to the website(tax forms, etc), but now it doesn’t work?

If you are logged in to Vanguard, to buy treasuries using Safari, try de-selecting the "Prevent cross-site tracking" check box under the Safari -> Preferences menu. Until I learned that, all I could see on the treasuries tab was a blank screen. You can see everything if you’re not logged in, but it all goes blank once you log in, presumably a security measure for transactions. FWIW

Back
Top Bottom