Venice under water

camfused

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, I have plans to go to Venice in March, but I am wondering if the historic flooding has devastated the place. Did anyone go there a few months after the floods in the 60s, or other floods?

Don't worry. When I was in Venice in 2018, I was assured the new water barrier system called MOSE will be completed by 2012.

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2018/04/will-a-huge-new-flood-barrier-save-venice/556226/

Work on MOSE began in 2003, but after countless delays (caused by a corruption scandal and financial and structural issues), the barrier has yet to be completed. The hard part is done, however, and most of the engineers at the control center were confident that the system will become fully operational soon. Since the final leg of construction has been stalled for months, though, no one could say exactly when. Some said later this year; others said 2020 was closer to reality.

Last edited:
My thoughts are:

I think they get flooded all the time, just that this time is higher than normal, but lower than the historic time, so they are prepared.

To be there right now would be challenging, but I'm sure in a few months you won't even know it happened.

Edit:
Curious so checked. they get flooded about 4 times per year
meaning water is over 110cm , this time it's about 144cm

https://www.comune.venezia.it/content/centro-previsioni-e-segnalazioni-maree

Last edited:
DW and I spent 5 nights in Venice last week, bookend by the high water on 30 October and 12 November.

While not intending to minimize the hard recovery by shopkeepers, restaurants and residents, the city is built with some resilience. For example, the lower floors are usually of stone or terrazzo, some lower walls are stone or solid wood. St. Marks Basilica is all stone and mosaic for the structure. Loss of power and other utilities has temporarily challenged the island.

I have read that about three quarters of the city was affected by the high wind driven water. Looked at some YouTube live channel shots today and noted that water has receded, but the shops and restaurants shown were affected.

My uneducated guess is that the city will have recovered by March.

Trip of a lifetime for DW and I - Venice will not disappoint.

The one time we went to Venice was in March 2003, during the Carnival. I want to go back for a visit, but don't know when we will do that.

Just yesterday or so, saw that they had another high tide, and visitors were taking photos like this. :nonono:

I wonder how you can know in advance for trip planning.

9ce450bc-2197-4a7a-8131-568f5feca3b6.jpeg

Hopefully the high tides will have subsided by then. We once went in February, and the waves were lapping over St. Marks Square. The city has elevated wooden sidewalks that come out when such weather happens.

I'd still go ahead and enjoy the city, as it won't be so busy with cruise ship people.

I'd still go ahead and enjoy the city, as it won't be so busy with cruise ship people.

Enjoy the city? One must find a way to fit wader boots into his carry-on.

41mDY-YfUkL.jpg

I agree you should go and enjoy. The peak was 187cm (according to CNN), plus as was stated the water was wind driven. While I don't know for sure, I would guess that going during a new moon would decrease your chances of running into high water. Of course, if it is a rainy week that would not matter much.

Op here. Thanks everyone for the info. My DD and are looking forward to the visit. It will be the first (and probably the only) time for me...too many other places on the bucket list to get to.

Interestingly, my 20s DD is anxious to go before global warming ruins it. I guess that might be said about a number of tourist places.

^^^^ Yes I just read Amsterdam is going to shut down the red light district or some other drastic move in March 2020 due to the swarms of tourists.

Another site lost.... :(

We went in 2002 and it was beautiful!

Whe we were there 5 years ago-they had raised portable sidewalks that looks like 8 foot tables. The water had gone down but they hadn't taken them down yet. Looked doable

50 years since I was last there, 56 since I was first there......with luck might drop by in the Fall of 2020.

I was first in Venice during Carnivale in 1981. St. Marks Square had about a foot of water, and wooden walkways had been built to let the tourists walk across the square. Within a few days the tides receded. The popular sites and restaurants reopened and life carried on.

I've been back 3 times since then. There is no other place like it anywhere.

Take some time to get away from the tourist zone. Wander thru the narrow passages and get lost in the maze of the city. Sip a late evening glass of wine at a canal side cafe while boats slide silently under the arched bridges.

I agree with the previous poster - floods come and go, but Venice remains.

Enjoy your trip!

Brianb

Suggested tips for Venice from our first trip this month:

- For date planning, the highest tides will be in the new moon and full moon phases. Throw in a fall/winter storm with wind and the water will be higher. Not all places are affected equally - seems like St. Marks square (Doge's palace, Basilica) are lower elevations and are more exposed to the wind driven water.
- Duck boards are 3 foot wide elevated walkways to keep tourist feet dry, but when crowded these can be overwhelmed. Venetians have footwear similar to Wellies, and tourists can get knee high shoe bags to slog through water.
- Take a SMALL umbrella because the street are narrow - 4 ft wide in some spots. Hold the umbrella high or point away from the middle of alleys when passing people. Be prepared to use it as a shield from others who are inconsiderate.
- Before arriving, learn how to get a Vaporetto (water bus) pass, use and navigate the city with this only public transportation.
- The train station at Venice was easy to navigate, next to a dock on the grand canal.
- We chose a hotel in the San Marco district to be nearer to places we wanted to see, and it was not on the grand canal. Ruzzini palace has about 2 dozen suites and was a great place to stay, with a large plaza in front. Ruzzini also had an elevator, air conditioning, canal dock and a breakfast buffet. Check to ensure your hotel has the amenities that you want before booking.
- To get to the hotel, strongly recommend hiring a private water taxi (50-70 euros) instead of schlepping luggage on the Vaporetto, through the alleys and over the stepped canals. I ported luggage going in, and disliked the experience. Private water taxi going out with luggage was a tour of Venice in itself.
- Joyride on the back of a Vaporetto for some round trips just to see Venice from different perspectives.
- Shoulder season (November) allowed us to experience Venice with smaller crowds and have better hotel pricing. Tradeoff - It was lightly raining and chillier this time of year.
- Enjoy café dining and Gelato every opportunity that you get! There are several canvas covered cafe's lining the grand canal on either side of the Rialto. The longer stretch of cafes is higher priced, but the food is better. Smaller cafe's away from the grand canal are also a nice experience.
- Public WCs are sparse. Take advantage of every museum toilet and restaurant where you are a patron. Order a beer, cappuccino, or glass of wine and bolt for the café WC in an emergency.
- Best time to visit St. Marks and Rialto Bridge is before 10 am when the cruise ships have fully disgorged, and after 6pm when they have recalled prisoners for the night. Take in the dueling orchestras at St. Marks after 5pm - sit and order overpriced sandwiches and wine.
- Get a museum pass at Correr in St. Marks to skip the lines. Be sure to go through Doge's palace and see how Venice was administered. Get the audio guide.
- Spend an afternoon on Murano and tour a glass factory, glass museum, and have a leisurely lunch. Ship some glass home (those made by 'masters' charge a premium) Travel to Murano by Vaporetto.
- Understand how to use Google or Apple maps and have an international cell plan. Be prepared to get lost anyway, and enjoy yourself. If you are going off of the grand canal and expect to navigate without a cell - good luck to you.
- Take a gondola ride with your bestie. 80 euro for the basic no frills, 120 for the good canal tour, and 160 for the OMG tour.
- To be polite, learn how to say, please, thank you, and excuse me in Italian. Most Venetians know English.

Have fun,

atom

Last edited:
DW and I have been to Venice three times twice in late spring, once in early fall. We were lucky all thee times and had good weather with no flooding. It's a magical city although almost no one lives there anymore. It's sort of a preserved tourist attraction. It is still wonderful to walk around.

Now that I'm an adult I know about the fecal matter that has always been prevalent in the waters of Venice. These photos of people standing in it creep me out. It is of interest to me because when I was 10 (in 1965) my family made a visit to Venice, after which I developed a severe case of multiple boils on one of my legs. (We were a Navy family returning to the States from two years in Malta, and checked out Italy while waiting for the ship to leave Naples).

Apparently, you can still get a glass of wine at an outdoor cafe in Venice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 9.16.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 9.16.53 AM.png
    531.5 KB · Views: 26
Are your years off?

No. The dates are spot-on in regards to the MOSE gates being built to protect Venice.

Construction in the lagoon began in 2003 with a completion date of 2012 for the gates.

When I was in Venice in 2018 a local shopkeeper was chatting with us about the aqua-alta problem. We asked when the gates would be ready. He grinned and replied that they would be done in 2012.

Hey, it's Italy not the Netherlands. :)

Hey, it's Italy not the Netherlands. :)

:LOL: 2015 - Train back to Genoa ('express').....suddenly stops....no explanation.

We finally find out we're being transferred to another train. Asked a young English speaking Italian passenger what was going on.....he echoed your post....."Hey, it's Italy".

Nemo said:
[emoji23] 2015 - Train back to Genoa ('express').....suddenly stops....no explanation.

We finally find out we're being transferred to another train. Asked a young English speaking Italian passenger what was going on.....he echoed your post....."Hey, it's Italy".

IIRC, the Italians hung the last guy who made the trains run on time.

Back
Top Bottom