Very strange feeling

RE @ 45 in 2012. I said retired for the first yr but only when asked. Most can't comprehend it. I only had one friend that understood. Co workers were resentful. Only told a cpl family members and other family became very resentful. Was repeatedly questioned somewhat uncomfortably how a person could ever do such a thing at a younger age and I actually started getting the feeling many thought I was a lazy, lowlife for not working. Been saying "I'm self employed" ever since!

I think if someone becomes anxious upon discovering I'm retired, I didn't cause their angst, I simply triggered an angst they already had. That's their issue, not mine.

Let me guess, you only own one piece of real estate, and it's your home.
:LOL:

Haha....:LOL::LOL:

You sound like the nay-sayers i'll be leaving behind at work.

No, I have 4 houses! Which is a total of nine living units, so some are multi families [just to be clear :)] - two hoses/buildings paid off including the most valuable rental and my country home, thank you very much. It really is a bit of a full time job keeping all the apartments well maintained for the young bucks willing to spend $$$ on renting my places. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
I'm starting to think about Early Retirement (hopefully 2 more years), and this is one of the topics that concerns me. Most of my friends, siblings etc are all older and I don't feel that they are close to retirement. Has anyone experienced resentment from older friends and family that aren't retired?

I haven't had any real issues. However, I will also add that the few people I call "friends" are truly that...and they are very few in number and have had them for many, MANY years and none of them have ever said anything negative (perhaps some ribbing on occasion when I make a comment about doing something while the rest of the world goes to w*rk, but that's the extend of it).

I would say that most of the acquaintances (and most of my former co-w*rkers fall in that category) either don't know, or just didn't care to give me their opinion. Not too long after I retired, I went to a promotion party of a former co-w*rker whom I had known for a long time. It was the most awkward social situation I have *ever* been in and decided that I would NEVER do that again!

I have had one family member give me crap about being retired, but I think it's a jealousy thing. He w*rked up until his 65th birthday and immediately started having health issues. He could have retired earlier, but he has a very large ego and loves, Loves, LOVES to spend money. As you might guess, I am very concerned about his opinion. :D

I've had supposed 'friends' ditch me after being friends for many years -- I think based of envy or a sense that they just can't be around the person who is going to retire in a couple years. Some people can't make the climb. We have probably all seen this in our careers. Well, it happens in real life too. So, I won't be (am not :rolleyes: currently) surprised by the nay-sayers.

I've been encountering these people, and the ones who want to pat me on the head because I still look like a college student, for a LONG time. I think I'm going to be more inclined to put these people in their place once I'm FIREd officially. Just marking off a few more months and I'm already feeling pretty adamant that it's not me it's them and I'm not afraid to hurt their feelings anymore.

I have mentioned that I'm thinking about it to a few people, and they seem to not believe it. I've even mentioned it to a few co-workers, but now I'm thinking to not talk about my plans at work until I make an announcement. Even though I'm not worried about advancements, I don't want them thinking I've started to check out.

I guess everyone has to make this decision themselves. Either tell people and don't worry about how they respond (ie its their problem), or downplay it (to save peoples feelings). Thanks for the responses! I think I'll go with number #1, as people close to me will find out anyway.

I saw a long time friend/acquaintance at the store on Sunday. He's a couple years younger (60) and I know in excellent financial shape. He took me by surprise when he asked what I do all day to keep busy. I ended up with lockjaw. I couldn't think to tell him all of the things I do between travel, exercise, golf, volunteer work and projects. It bugged me. Then I told myself "who cares but me". So, I got over it pretty fast.

I would say that when talking about being retired it is generally a no go zone when talking with others who are younger or especially older who are not retired. That's been my feeling anyway. I think jealously would surface if a conversation happened. Since I don't have the ability to know in advance how someone would respond ,I find it best for myself to just not talk about with anyone really.

Others may have a different experience, but that's my take.

I would say that when talking about being retired it is generally a no go zone when talking with others who are younger or especially older who are not retired. That's been my feeling anyway. I think jealously would surface if a conversation happened. Since I don't have the ability to know in advance how someone would respond ,I find it best for myself to just not talk about with anyone really.

Others may have a different experience, but that's my take.

Agree on the older not retired folk. Sometimes, I do say I am retired to much younger folks, as am figuring:facepalm: they wouldn't care. It has backfired once so far.

Back
Top Bottom