VG Index Growth Portfolio

kgtest

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I have been lurking and contributing a little bit. The extent of my knowledge has lead me to believe I should simplify my existing portfolio into a VG portfolio of index funds. ;)

AA would be 90% Stock *10%Intl / 5% bond / 5%cash.

Is there one index fund that fits the bill for this? :confused:

I suppose you may ask, well what do I want for my stock mix. I would prefer growth, with less than 20% exposure to small-caps (*10%intl) and I know VG may have a Large/Mid overlapping index fund avail if I don't recall.

Anybody care to share there successes this year with a VG index portfolio? :greetings10:

I'm not sure what you mean by "growth". Everybody wants their portfolio to grow, so many asset allocation models use "growth" or "aggressive growth" in their descriptions.

Nevertheless, equities are often divided into the broad overlapping categories of value, growth, and blend based on P/E ratios and other technical numbers.

Vanguard has index funds with Growth and Value in the name. It has blend index funds without Growth and Value in the name.

You asked for growth and avoiding small caps. Typically small caps do better than large-caps, so you are kinda saying "I want growth but I don't want growth." Small caps are accepted to be riskier than large caps.

If you want a single fund with 90% equities and 10% fixed income, you might consider a Vanguard Target Retirement fund that has 90% equities. The Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 fund is like that. However, the knock on Target Retirement funds is that they do not use the lowest-expense ratio class of index funds. One can roll their own Target Retirement fund using index funds of the Admiral share class and get those lower expense ratios.

Last edited:
Overall it sounds like you'll need two funds......total stock and a bond fund. It's hard to place a number of objectives, low cost, stocks and bonds into one index fund. And, if you want a little international, add a 3rd fund. It's still really simple and easy to manage. Good luck. PS: Good advice from LOL! above.

Back
Top Bottom