Video Game Recommendations

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is a good platformer-shooter. I don't know if you've played any of the other R&C games. They are family-friendly, rather straightforward games with cartooney characters and plenty of humor and action. You can go on Youtube and check out gameplay video (that's a good way to get a sense of whether you might enjoy a game -- check out gameplay video or reviews). Ratchet and Clank on PS4 might be a better intro, or at least cheaper (most PS4 games are playable on PS5).

I loved playing Ratchet and Clank. Great game. Haven't played in a long time.

My son and I played this game when he was younger.

I really think you would enjoy Ratchet and Clank.

The kids did bring over Ratchet and Clank but I didn’t pay much attention. I’ll have them bring it back. They also brought over Sackboy but again, I didn’t pay attention. I’m paying more attention now because it’s about winter and I know I’ll be home more (inside more) given my health. I’ll have them bring R&C back and teach me how to play it.

If you like golf, then I think you would enjoy billiards on the PS5.

You may like Defense Grid 2, a tower defense game which is available for the PS4 and may work on the PS5. I’ve been playing DG2 on Steam (PC) for years - it’s one of my favorites.

I’ve had some health issues and expect that I’ll be more inclined to stay inside this winter. I have a PS5 that I got mostly for when the grandkids come over but I have one game I like playing - 2K Golf. In fact, I just updated to the latest version - 2K23. I like it because it’s a one player game that I can play anytime. I also like it because it’s range of difficulty goes from pretty easy to extremely difficult. Then of course, it fits into my fantasy of some day being a good golfer. Well maybe never IRL, but in the game, I’m doing pretty well.

For those of you who play video games, what is one or two you would recommend and why do you like it? I’m looking to add a couple more games for the winter, which is unfortunately right around the corner. Thanks.

These two are PC games. Neither requires new computers.
My all time favorite game is Civilization 6. It is a turn based game in which you explore and build a civilization in a randomized world.
There are many paths to victory, I enjoy the science victory myself.
Easy to put it down at any time, yet it can keep you busy as long as you like.

My second favorite game is Valheim. It is a survival (light) game. Great fun building bases and advancing technology through different environments.

YouTube or Twitch TV are good ways to get a feel for either one.

I have no idea about the newer games as I have an old Xbox 360 that stopped working years ago... kinda POed that it will not read the disks and to get it fixed is almost impossible...

But I have downloaded some games on my tablet... the one thing you might want to check is if they sale things for you to move up faster... one game I was on charged BIG $$$$s for packages that would improve their game... some paid upward of $250,000 so they could be BMOC... there was no way you could win against them... you just accepted the loss and moved on...

My all time favorite game is Civilization 6. It is a turn based game in which you explore and build a civilization in a randomized world.

There are many paths to victory, I enjoy the science victory myself.

Easy to put it down at any time, yet it can keep you busy as long as you like.

I agree — I hit reply to this thread just to reply that Civilization 6 is a really good one. It lets you pursue different paths each time you start a new game, and it also has a lot of history and culture built into it. Yes, there is a military component to it, but it isn’t the only way to win. It is an engrossing game for me, completely brings me into the world of the game. I also enjoy the less complex version Civilization 5; both are quite good.

For PlayStation games, these are older but I really enjoyed the puzzles in Portal. And there was another very relaxing game for PS called “Flower”.

Edited: added 2 PlayStation-specific game recommendations.

Last edited:
Civilization is on sale for the PS5 for $9 for the basic game. Good price to try it out. Normally $25. Probably about to come out with a new version soon.

Thanks alot folks... Had to dig back in the cabinets and find some old games...
Can't find my Age of Empires... But gonna start playing Caesar III

I understand. The realism of COD is unbelievable. You feel like you're right in the battlefield . I play on a 70 inch tv screen. And I love playing other people because you capitalize on their mistakes or inexperience. Computer opponents just don't compare.

Check out the Uncharted series. I haven't played that in awhile but it wasn't nearly as intense or frustrating but quite challenging and fun.

For added realism, do you set your house thermostat to 120 degrees and eat only MREs for a month? Oh, and no showers for DAYS on end ;)

I have always enjoyed various flight simulators, but I don't know that there is a suitable one on the PS5.

I have always enjoyed various flight simulators, but I don't know that there is a suitable one on the PS5.

No, PC/xbox, the current best flight sim is Microsoft. MS makes xbox. Basically, OP needs PS5 games, so those published by Sony, indie devs, Blizzard, EA, or anyone not specifically tied to a console - anything Microsoft or Nintendo is out.

Big games tend to release on all platforms, except when there are big deals made to tie them to a console.

Microsoft is aiming to buy Blizzard/Activision, so there is some talk that CoD might leave PS5, but, unlikely and years away.

I have a great one for you. No Man's Sky on PS5. Here is why I think it would be ideal for you.

Do you want to Fly around and collect spaceships? Do it.
Do you want one ship and make it awesome? Great
Do you love doing the quests? Perfect
Do you think quests are a waste of time? Good skip them
You hate pirates? fight them
Do you love pirates? Become one

Everything in the game is optional and at your own pace. You can build elaborate bases on planets or buy a huge freighter and recruit ships to work for you. You can literally just hop around the galaxy looking at plants and making friends with the fauna. It really is whatever you want to do and you can pick things up along the way. There is a place where you can even work together with other players if that's you thing.

From the creators
But the greatest thing about open world games, especially for a casual gamer? You don’t need to follow the storyline to have a great time. That’s the whole point of the open world. The bigger the map, the more potential for exploring it for your own purposes and at your own pace — and where those other open world games offer a continent or a planet to map out, No Man’s Sky offers something much, much more expansive. In fact, it’s almost unfathomably large.

Your character wakes up on one planet, but No Man’s Sky has 255 entire galaxies’ worth of planets to explore, totaling up to more than 18 quintillion worlds. It would take you nearly 585 billion years to see them all. No, that’s not a typo.

Let me know if you end up giving it a try. If you like it I will fly around the galaxy with you for a bit. Best of luck.

No Man's Sky's UI is pretty opaque though, you want to be an experienced gamer or willing to dig in to figure out how you've gotten into the wrong mode, etc. Stray is cute for at least a few hours, I've not gone back and finished it. Horizon Forbidden West is very pretty, though you'd probably want to start with Horizon Zero Dawn. Elden Ring is great if you want a challenge. Ultimately you probably are best served by trying several different things and seeing what you like playing on a console if you aren't familiar with much yet.

I have no idea about the newer games as I have an old Xbox 360 that stopped working years ago... kinda POed that it will not read the disks and to get it fixed is almost impossible...

You may be aware, but any other Xbox (apart from the original) will play the majority of old 360 games. MS has a good backwards compatibility program. So, you could get a used Xbox One or any of the newer versions, and it would play those old discs. If you're interested.

For PlayStation games, these are older but I really enjoyed the puzzles in Portal. And there was another very relaxing game for PS called “Flower”.

Which reminds me of Journey, by the same devs who did Flower. You'll find both of them under the "indie" catalog. Journey was a great game. Beautiful, peaceful, and it had a spiritual element that is rare in videogames. It's from the PS3 era, so visuals are a bit dated, but it's still a great game. Hopefully they've made it available for PS5; I'm not sure.

No Man's Sky's UI is pretty opaque though, you want to be an experienced gamer or willing to dig in to figure out how you've gotten into the wrong mode, etc. Stray is cute for at least a few hours, I've not gone back and finished it. Horizon Forbidden West is very pretty, though you'd probably want to start with Horizon Zero Dawn. Elden Ring is great if you want a challenge.

Agree with the cautions on No Man's Sky. It's a hugely expansive game with a lot of nerdy detail. Might not be a good venture for a newcomer. Horizon Zero Dawn was my favorite game of last gen, but I've got some reservations about recommending it. It's not a terribly difficult game, but it does have a learning curve. Lots of RPG-like mechanics that you'll have to contend with. I think Elden Ring would just produce frustration.

Ultimately you probably are best served by trying several different things and seeing what you like playing on a console if you aren't familiar with much yet.

Yes. One good way to do this is to sign up for PS Now, their subscription service. You pay a monthly fee, and you get access to a huge library of games. You can sample a lot of different things and find something that suits you.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-now/

Last edited:
Agree with the cautions on No Man's Sky. It's a hugely expansive game with a lot of nerdy detail.

Yes. One good way to do this is to sign up for PS Now, their subscription service. You pay a monthly fee, and you get access to a huge library of games. You can sample a lot of different things and find something that suits you.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-now/

You both have a good point about No Man's Sky as I take for granted how long and active I am at gaming. If you like a game like Civ the nerdiness and learning curve would not be a problem as the penalties are so low for mistakes but it is a commitment to learn the mechanics.

PS Now is a great suggestion! You could try out so many modern titles and find what you like. If you have PS+ subscription even on the lowest tier don't forget to download you monthly free games. This month has Super Hot which is an interesting take on strategy and a shooter. I have read that the higher tiers of Ps plus had even better games this month.

My final suggestion is Slay the Spire. It is a deck building game where every run is independent and unique. It is easy to pick up and almost impossible to master. The replayability is near perfect. It is one of the few games I have bought on multiple platforms and have as much fun playing it on my phone as I do on PS5.

Want to save money? Who doesn't!? PC games cost WAY less than console games. And Epic gives free games out like every week. And if you are an Amazon Prime member, Amazon Gaming gives out free games too. These are free-to-own-forever (until the store platform goes away). Then get a Steam Deck to play anywhere (like on the couch or toilet!). $400 + ~$150 for a 1TB 2230 NVMe and I can have a lot of games with me. I have a powerful PC with a RTX3080, but I still play most of my games on the Steam Deck the last few months. And because it's a PC with a controller built-in, the Deck runs emulators great too.

On the PC game front, I've been working through my backlog and recently enjoyed Shadow Tactics -- this was REALLY fun, since I've enjoyed Commandos from many years ago. Ron Gilbert also just released Return to Monkey Island.

You like VR? Get a Quest 2 (or splurge on the Quest Pro). Alyx is mind-blowing. But you can also get your exercise in while playing with Beat Saber or other fitness apps.

PlayStation has changed its online membership programs and now has 3 levels of membership. The highest includes a ton of games "free" so you can download them play and then delete. I have been playing Stray Cat for a while and it is fascinating. Generally I play games like FarCry (I am currently towards the end of FarCry4 which was free after finishing FarCry3) which are a combination of battle and hunting for stuff.

However, I spend more time on my OPculus Quest 2, mostly doing exercise programs that are excellent and keep you motivated while burning calories. I burn 500 calories a day just doing that and also spend time on a stationary cycle while watching Youtube video channels I follow so kill 2 birds with 1 stone and burn another 200 calories or so doing that. There are also PCVR games that can be played on a Quest2 via wifi but you must have a higher-end PC (decent CPU and high-end GPU card) for this to work well. That opens up a ton of games many of which are cheap on Steam. The VR stuff is fantastic and mind blowing. Playing golf, tennis, table tennis, pool, etc. takes on another level of realism in VR. It is well worth the expense of the unit and the Quest 2 is the cheapest in a large lineup with the best-supported games.

I play survival games on PC steam. Ark, No Man's Sky, Green Hell, etc. I also play Grand Theft Online with my son and teen grandsons.

Makes a long winter day pass nicely. I also read but don't watch TV so it's nice to mix it up.

For added realism, do you set your house thermostat to 120 degrees and eat only MREs for a month? Oh, and no showers for DAYS on end ;)

Point understood. [emoji15]

As my username suggests, I LOVE video games.

All of my gaming time has now moved to VR. I literally haven't started my PS4 since I got my Quest2 headset. And my family has joined in.

After blasting zombies, our enduring obsession is with Onward. A super realistic VR military game. But I've also done Star Wars, fitness and many other types of VR games.

On the console side, its been a while since I played the games.

My recommendation is to use GameStop or another game reseller.

Video Games don't degrade with time!

Back
Top Bottom