Viking River Cruise China

davemartin88

Full time employment: Posting here.
My wife and her sister are thinking about taking a river cruise in China late next year. One they are looking at is for 10 days and is offered by Viking Cruise. Anyone familiar with this or similar cruises. They like the idea of being in one cabin for most of the trip. We did a similar cruise in Egypt a few years ago and really liked the trip. Thanks in advance for any insight.

We have done two Viking cruises in Europe and have thought about others. Certainly one of the top companies in the river cruise business and they know their stuff. If the itinerary really appeals, then I would say go for it.

My brother and his DW just did the Viking China cruise and loved it. The guide was top notch and the food excellent.

I've read the horror of river cruises turning into the worlds most expensive bus ride based on river levels. I would check the route and see if this could be a problem before spendung that much money. I don't do bus trips.

Thanks for the feedback, DW and her sister have booked a trip!

You won't be disappointed with Viking. It may be expensive, but well worth it, in my opinion. We have done River and Ocean Cruises with Viking.

My wife and I did the Viking cruise about 3 years ago. Viking does a great job with their cruises. They take care of everything for you. We stayed a few days early and it was in a 5 star hotel. The day you get there,viking picks you up and takes you to hotel. They have a representative in the hotel for you. You are on your own that day, but then Viking takes over after that.The land part of the tour was great.The cruise part only goes to one site that is older Chinese.The rest is of newer made towns. Remember that the dam flooded all of that area so all the rest is under 330 feet of water. And you do not get close to the dam. I would say they keep everyone 2 or 3 miles away from it. A land tour would give you more to see of China but Viking is a good tour. The cruise does give you a chance to meet a lot of people. My take is the cruise part is a waste if you want to see more of China. Set up a land tour company if that is what you want. And you have to like Chinese food,real Chinese food, not the American Chinese we eat here in the states.And you fly twice incountry but Viking does a good job with this. Hope this helps with your trip

In China this is not a problem.Plus you fly incountry a lot. It is so big.

I wish some of the river cruise lines would look to the high-speed trains for overland transfers in China. The trains are world-class -- they make Amtrak look like the Old Patagonian Express -- and it would give travelers a ground-level look at the country.

Not that air service leaves anything to be desired. We had a great experience with China's domestic/regional air service. Again, superior to domestic service in the States.

I would look at Odysseys Unlimited. They have a great combo land and cruise. We cruised the 3 gorges and went through the dam
I have a trip story but it is too big to post, If you PM me your e-mail I will send it to you

Back
Top Bottom