Wake up call...

It’s good to remind oneself periodically that, for all of its seeming daily sameness, life is contingent, temporary, unpredictable. It can change quickly, not only for oneself, but for loved ones, and that will change one’s entire world. Good to appreciate what you have, while you have it, and not assume it will last forever - or really, for any length of time at all. Good to assess what will look like time well spent, today, if the world changes tomorrow.

Poignant words, right there. And very, very true.

I lost a dear friend and colleague this week. 49 years old. She was prepping for a trial on Sunday and died in her sleep. Left behind a husband and 3 young kids. She always worked too hard and gave her all. I am sad for her loss, but this has been a wake up call for me and other colleagues. I am getting back on my ER band wagon. I have really backslid lately.

Hope this forum holds me to task...

I'm sorry for your loss.

My mom passed away last month at 86. My dad is doing well at 86, and I have aunts who have lived or are still living in their late 90s.

For me the key to a great life isn't to retire early or retire late or never retire.
Instead, it's to live every day as happy as you can.

I thoroughly enjoyed my career for many years. It was long, hard work but it was also very satisfying. A few years ago at 60, I decided it was enough.

My wife is still working at 62 and intends to work for at least a few more years. She enjoys her work, is really, really good at what she does, and looks forward to her coworkers every day.

I am happy being retired and my wife is happy working.

We all choose our path. No one path is right for everyone.

It's natural to see someone pass away, and use that time to reflect on our own life and potential lifetime. I think it's also natural to see older friends and relatives and use that time to reflect as well.

Try to enjoy every day - no matter what it is you are doing. Then your life will be happy.

Last edited:
So many losses... Prose, Gumby, Audrey, Bill, no doubt others... my sympathies. The kind of losses you all describe are world-changing. The world looks outwardly the same the next day, but all the underpinnings have shifted in a way no one else can see.

In keeping with this thread’s theme of “appreciate the ones close to you while you can, appreciate your own time because you don’t know how long it will last, and consider prioritizing a more meaningful life over work if the numbers support it” - will put one more consideration out there for folks:

Folks naturally tend to think about the limits to their own lifespan... but the same unpredictability of fate applies to your spouses (parents, friends, etc.) too. Even if you live a long life, your spouse may not, and that will be world-changing for your retirement. One more reason not to delay too long.

As a personal data point... always thought we’d manage at least a few of the fabled “golden years” of retirement... those years when you’re both relatively healthy, relatively wealthy, maybe even a little wise, and at least able to appreciate your good fortune. Then DW was diagnosed with EOAD (early onset Alzheimer’s disease). You do not want this to happen to your world. We still manage to find some good in the time that remains... but it is drastically different than we had hoped for. Not that it changes the retirement plans in and of itself... the numbers are always the numbers... but the condition puts a fine point on not overstaying one’s time in the corporate world.

It’s good to remind oneself periodically that, for all of its seeming daily sameness, life is contingent, temporary, unpredictable. It can change quickly, not only for oneself, but for loved ones, and that will change one’s entire world. Good to appreciate what you have, while you have it, and not assume it will last forever - or really, for any length of time at all. Good to assess what will look like time well spent, today, if the world changes tomorrow.

I read your post multiple times. All the best to you and Mrs. TM

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it has been a tough month or so for lots of people. I found out a friend I had known since we were ten years old passed away at 55 in late January. Then a colleague who just couldn't bring himself to fully retire died at 72 after complications from surgery. A few days later, a friend of twenty years died in hospice at age 49 after a long battle with cancer. The last two funerals were on the same day.

I like my job, but it is not the only thing I want to do in life. I was planning to retire in two years. I am now moving the date up to May 2018. Two years while I am healthy and able to travel, spend time with my loved ones, and still not have significant money worries are priceless to me right now.

I know a guy that passed away a few weeks ago that was 55 yo. I have known many people that I knew personally that have died under age 60 in the last 10 years. I follow a few funeral home obits and daily there are people under age 60. Unreal the young that pass on each day.

Back
Top Bottom