Want a fun car to replace my Harley

I was mainly selling small ticket items on craigslist so if the first person said they would show up at a certain time with the money then I'd give them first dibs and tell everyone else that called that I would let them know if was still available after that time (and the times were all either that day or the next morning). If someone wanted to show up to look at it, I told them that was fine but I was selling it to the first person that wanted it and had cash.

In a situation like this, I think Kronk has the right idea. If you've given some promise to pay pending a reasonable check-over, then you get the car. Otherwise, first one there with the pile o' bills wins. Unless he verbally gave some sort of promise that the car was yours, then he's a jerk... but still, what did you expect, he owns a BMW ;-)

Oh, I can certainly see his point of view. He sent me an email saying he had to honor the owners instructions of selling to the first person who showed up with cash. Still, I guess I expected him to give me a call and say someone else was interested and ask if I wanted to give him a deposit. That's what I would have done, but different strokes for different folks.

Oh, I can certainly see his point of view. He sent me an email saying he had to honor the owners instructions of selling to the first person who showed up with cash. Still, I guess I expected him to give me a call and say someone else was interested and ask if I wanted to give him a deposit. That's what I would have done, but different strokes for different folks.

So, he was selling it for someone else? That explains a lot............

Dealers have "rules"? :eek: Tell me more FDude.....:)

I was being facetious. In private party transactions, there are no protocols to follow. If you went to a large dealership, and this happened, folks would take shear delight in telling EVERYONE they KNOW the dealership is bad, etc,...........it becomes a local PR disaster for the dealer.

Private party? No recourse, no PR disaster, etc...........;)

Not to nitpick, but Bimmer Bill did have a contingency on his sale ("if" the car checked out when I drove it one last time". The seller saw that as a way for Bimmer Bill to back out at the last minute. Adding the "which of course I beleive it will" is not an offer for sale............

Does this mean that Bill needs to change his login name?
BimmerlessBill?

I've been bimmerless since 2001 or so... sniff.

I've been bimmerless since 2001 or so... sniff.

I just don't know about buying an older Bimmer. I drive one now, and I love it. That being said, I wouldn't buy one out of warranty. Even though I can work on it myself the parts are just so expensive.

If I was going to take $5K and buy something fun on 4 wheels I would buy a Miata.

I'd get a funky fun car that nobody thinks about and is just cool. A Triumph Spitfire, an Opel GT, one of those little VW wagons.

Then, I'd get a really good set of jackstands and a comfortable creeper . . .

opgtj.jpg

Well, I'm 6'6" so most small, fun cars are out of the question. I just can't fit in them!

Well, I'm 6'6" so most small, fun cars are out of the question. I just can't fit in them!

I'm half an inch shorter than you and I drive a Honda S2000 for fun, you just have to get creative with your ingress and egress.

Looking for a fun car? Toyota MR2 Spyder owners refer to the driving experience as 'Permagrin'. Most owners, myself included, took one for a test drive and within a minute or two realized that they just have got to get one of these. The combination of mid-engine, light weight, quick steering and a responsive engine is unbeatable. The convertable top just adds to the grins per mile. Check out Spyderchat.com for the best online info, and don't even think about buying a 2000 or 2001 without checking the precats.

Looking for a fun car? Toyota MR2 Spyder owners refer to the driving experience as 'Permagrin'. Most owners, myself included, took one for a test drive and within a minute or two realized that they just have got to get one of these. The combination of mid-engine, light weight, quick steering and a responsive engine is unbeatable. The convertable top just adds to the grins per mile. Check out Spyderchat.com for the best online info, and don't even think about buying a 2000 or 2001 without checking the precats.

Had a 1986 MR2 back in college. Was the most fun car I ever drove.

An older model A-6 or A-8 is a gas to drive.

I'm half an inch shorter than you and I drive a Honda S2000 for fun, you just have to get creative with your ingress and egress.

I'm 6-2 and bought a pair of aftermarket seats and gained about 2" of headroom =)

Still a $%#% to get in/out of but awesome 'airy' feeling above my head!O0

Picking a mint condition 2001 530i tomorrow ;-) A tad under 63K miles, had its ass kissed by an engineer owner for the past 4 years. Europeon Xenons, navigation, 5 speed, cold weathr package, premium package, 2 sets of new wheels/tires, etc.

Should be a good Friday!

You don't sound like you're in a mindset to drive a hard bargain. "I'll pay you whatever you want--show me those xenon headlights again--cool!"

Seriously, I hope the deal goes well this time.

Picking a mint condition 2001 530i tomorrow ;-) A tad under 63K miles, had its ass kissed by an engineer owner for the past 4 years. Europeon Xenons, navigation, 5 speed, cold weathr package, premium package, 2 sets of new wheels/tires, etc.

Should be a good Friday!

Sounds like a great find. Those 2000-1 models were terrific. Good luck with it and post some pics when you get a chance.

Should be a good Friday!

Those are sweet, the 530 is as solid as a tank, but faster........;)

Yeah, after driving it home my main inpression is SOLID. Like a tank but very agile. I couldn't figure out how to use the NAV lol. I'm a computer nerd but never used nav. May have to read the book.... Ditto the DSP stereo. And rain sensing wipers. And auto dim rear view mirror...

At least I have the clutch and stick down.

Back
Top Bottom