WARdle--A Wordle Type Game for Baseball Fans

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There is a Wordle type game for baseball fans, called WARdle. WAR is a baseball statistical acronym for Wins Above Replacement level, the new gold standard for rating players.

Anyway, the object of WARdle is to guess the identity of the baseball player in 8 guesses. After each guess the game tells you if you hit correctly on the player's Team, League, Division, Bats R/L, Throws R/L, Country, YOB (Year of birth), and Position.

Here is the link to the site:

https://wardle.app/

Click on the "How to Play" at the top of the screen for rules.

You type in a player's name and a drop down menu of alphabetized names appears. Scroll down to the name you want and click on it. Then look at the categories to see if you got any matches. Adjust your next guess appropriately. For example, if you guess Clayton Kershaw you are selecting a left-handed pitcher from the NL West, specifically the Dodgers. If any of these categories are correct you will see green in those categories. If they are incorrect, they will be unchanged (white space.) If you guess the wrong player but see yellow in the year of birth column that means the player of the day is within 2 years of the year of birth of the guy you guessed.

It's pretty easy with the first guess to narrow down if the player is in the AL or NL or if he bats right or left. After this it becomes somewhat tricky.

I was interested in this one until I saw it only dealt with active players.

I was interested in this one until I saw it only dealt with active players.

That would be a negative for me too, as I don't follow the current player stats etc, like I did the retired greats.

That would be a negative for me too, as I don't follow the current player stats etc, like I did the retired greats.
Having just played it, including everyone who ever played MLB would be daunting and maybe impossible. Also, divisions didn't exist prior to 1969, and even then, there were only two divisions per league (east and west). Now there are three divisions per league.

Side comment: Your post also highlights something I had been thinking about. I've been researching (and researching and researching ...) baseball simulators to play a league of all-time greats and my past favorites (myself vs computer, computer vs. computer).

I should include players of the past decade or two (and I will for the few I know well), but there are a good number of active players I have very little knowledge about. If my desire were the best players of all-time, I would be hard-pressed to do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom