Warm places to visit "on the cheap"

Interested in what area of SC you chose. DW and I are looking at Charleston area. We have another 8 years before we move though. Waiting until our twins graduate from high school before relocating.

Pm sent. I will be glad to answer question about our situation. Also I can act as a tour guide if you visit our area of the state.

Regarding renting a house for a month or so in the winter in places like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina-- There are literally thousands of houses for rent on or near the beach in Myrtle Beach. These are set up for rentals so you don't feel like you are bothering the owners stuff. The winter is considered off season so you can rent a beach front or nearby house at a large discount--half or less. Contact a rental agent in the area you are interested in and see what is available.

Another way to find rentals rented by individuals is VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner). We have had very good success renting from VBRO. Take a look at the VBRO website.

If your camper is big enough to be comfortable for an extended period, you might like the Gulf Shores, AL area. You might check out Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, Anchors Aweigh in Foley, and the rv parks on Fort Morgan peninsula (Gulf Shores addresses). It does get below freezing occasionally in January or February, and the daytime temperatures are most often in the 50s and 60s, so not as warm as Mexico. As suggested above, winter rentals run about half (or less) than "in season" rentals. We have rented houses in Fort Morgan from Reed Realty and on vrbo.com and have been fine with both. Nothing fancy, but comfortable, and our dog is welcome. If you have more than 2 dogs (or a cat), it will be harder to find a house to rent.

To Zedd: We don't mind living with other people's stuff, so long as it is clean and comfortable, and meets our needs. We have some "must haves" and use those to filter out possible rentals. For example, we want a king size bed and a TV in the master bedroom, a well equipped kitchen since we do most of our own cooking, 2 bathrooms, and comfortable furniture in the living room. You can look online to see amenities and photos of the rentals.

Back
Top Bottom