Was this one of those days?

foxfirev5

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Was this one of those days that you do not want to be out of the market?

There is no day that I want to be out of the market with my AA equity tranche.

I checked my o/s balances last night.

I feel better right now--temporarily. Future still is scary, however.

I actually sold some equities today. And if things go as some think with interest rate increases slowing from the Fed, then those fixed CDs and bonds that many of us have purchased will look pretty good.

I definitely wanted to be out of the market today, because I hate money.

Yep. I can see I'm preaching to the choir here. Stay the course.

If you mean "was this one of those days that proves the point that market timing - no matter how smart you are - can very easily mean you miss these days, these single days that mean the difference between an up month/year and a down one?"

Then, maybe. It could all go the other way tomorrow, or not. We won't know, but I'm glad I was in because I haven't moved anything this year.

These things tend to be fairly predictable.

Attachments

• Buying-stocks.jpg
    Buying-stocks.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 187
Then, maybe. It could all go the other way tomorrow, or not. We won't know, but I'm glad I was in because I haven't moved anything this year.

Markets closed for Veteran's Day tomorrow.

Still, I'm really teed off at all those financial gurus who didn't tell me yesterday to "Buy, buy, buy!":D

Last edited:
Crazy market. Even Home Depot went up 8.4%, and Lowes 9.4%.

But when you look at YTD performance, HD is still down -25%, and Lowes -21%.

Amazon still down -42% YTD, and Tesla -46% YTD.

Two Fed members have just said the CPI is still high and more rate hikes are coming. :) The spanking still goes on.

So, I am enjoying this while it lasts. And perhaps it will only last until the market opens tomorrow. :LOL:

PS. Oops, the market closes tomorrow. So we get to enjoy this till Monday.

Equity markets are open tomorrow, but not a settlement day. Fixed income markets are closed.

From Schwab:
“Friday, November 11, 2022, is a federal/bank holiday in observance of Veterans Day. U.S. equity, options, and futures markets will be open but it's a non-settlement day. All U.S. fixed income and bond markets will be closed. Canadian markets will be open as usual but it's a non-settlement day. Requests to move money received after the standard cut-off times on Thursday, November 10, 2022, will not be processed until Monday, November 14, 2022. For more details, please refer to the notification on Schwab.com.”

Hopefully this will continue through January when I sell to support 2023 expenses - :)

I've still got some beaten down biotechs and need them to claw back out of the hole they fell into (looking at you Vanda).

Gridlock might help bio though...who knows?

I've still got some beaten down biotechs and need them to claw back out of the hole they fell into (looking at you Vanda). ...
WADR, this is the kind of thing that the behavioral finance people use as an example of our human baked-in loss aversion. They would say that a steely-eyed look at your biotechs should ignore sunk cost/what you paid and instead look strictly at the investment value of the stocks as of today's price. Continuing to own them is exactly the same as a decision to buy at today's price. Maybe that's OK, I don't know. But the original purchase price should not be a consideration.

Richard Thaler's "Misbehaving" is a great read for an investor IMO.

My DW is in the hospital with pneumonia (day 6). What happened in the market today that is important?

My DW is in the hospital with pneumonia (day 6). What happened in the market today that is important?

S&P 500 went up 5.5% as inflation slowed a bit, none of which is of any importance compared to the health of loved ones. Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery.

Yeah.

We're all here cheering for your wife, you know that...

Also cheering for loosing less "paper dough"

What's the problem with that?

Was this one of those days that you do not want to be out of the market?

Yes, it was.

And it also is a day that demonstrates the difficulty of market timing. It's easy to miss big up days like this, and days like this count a lot towards long term returns.

Of course, we are still in a bear market and bear markets are known for their very sharp up days. Some of the biggest upside moves you will ever see occur in bear markets.

These things tend to be fairly predictable.

I like that and it tells the story. I was going to buy some equity funds after the November Fed meeting in anticipation that things would go lower, and I would buy in. Well, the report was right for a downturn but no it went the other way.

So, I guess I'm a market timer. Lol Not really but I will wait now and when things start to go down at some point I will buy in at that time. I would have bought in before the Fed meeting, but I needed to wait till the money was available to me. I may never buy, or I might who knows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom