Washington (IRS), we have a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just looked up “Where’s my refund?” on the IRS app. There are two problems:

1. They can’t process my request for $5,000 iBonds because “it is not in a multiple of $50 or exceeds $5,000.”
I checked my return and it says $5,000 on the nose.

2. “You owed a past due obligation to which we applied part or all of your refund. “
“Past-due child support;
Federal agency non-tax debts;
State income tax obligations; or
Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that weren't paid).”

None of these issues exist. We’ve never received any indication of a problem before!

My suspicion is we’ve been hit with identity theft again and the “debts” reduced my refund below the amount of the iBond request, making it a number that is not a multiple of $50.

The notice says I can’t call until after I receive my refund, which should be later this week. My blood pressure just tripled! [emoji35]

Sorry it didn’t work out. Unfortunately, I’ve read that once you hit an issue there’s no way to fix it to get iBonds.

One of the tips that I used was to overpay my taxes to get a refund >5k. That way there’s a buffer and you get an indication that your return was processed once the remaining balance is deposited at your bank.

I just looked up “Where’s my refund?” on the IRS app. There are two problems:

1. They can’t process my request for $5,000 iBonds because “it is not in a multiple of $50 or exceeds $5,000.”
I checked my return and it says $5,000 on the nose.

2. “You owed a past due obligation to which we applied part or all of your refund. “
“Past-due child support;
Federal agency non-tax debts;
State income tax obligations; or
Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state (generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that weren't paid).”

None of these issues exist. We’ve never received any indication of a problem before!

My suspicion is we’ve been hit with identity theft again and the “debts” reduced my refund below the amount of the iBond request, making it a number that is not a multiple of $50.

The notice says I can’t call until after I receive my refund, which should be later this week. My blood pressure just tripled! [emoji35]

Have you created an online IRS account and viewed your Account and Tax Year Return Transcripts? It may help you understand what is happening.

Sorry it didn’t work out. Unfortunately, I’ve read that once you hit an issue there’s no way to fix it to get iBonds.

One of the tips that I used was to overpay my taxes to get a refund >5k. That way there’s a buffer and you get an indication that your return was processed once the remaining balance is deposited at your bank.

We did overpay. We should get a refund of over $11k now that iBonds were not issued. I’m fearful of identity theft criminals have done something to screw with our refund.

PaunchyPirate; said:
Have you created an online IRS account and viewed your Account and Tax Year Return Transcripts? It may help you understand what is happening.

Great idea! I had the account, but needed to PANIC First! [emoji13]

The not issuing of the iBonds was obviously a mistake on their part. They did penalize us for estimated taxes being underpaid, which they weren’t, but I didn’t fill out the form needed to show that. My bad.

Great idea! I had the account, but needed to PANIC First! [emoji13]

The not issuing of the iBonds was obviously a mistake on their part. They did penalize us for estimated taxes being underpaid, which they weren’t, but I didn’t fill out the form needed to show that. My bad.

I find PANIC is a good way to get over the emotional turmoil, afterwards things usually aren't so bad. :flowers:

I overpay our taxes by the 10% because:
  1. In this economy I can't make much money anyhow
  2. I don't want to pay a penalty because of fund surprises
  3. I'm too lazy to fill out the stupid form when income (fund surprises) is surprisingly high.

Did you file electronically? If so did you get an electronic notification that your return had been accepted? That would not happen if someone had stolen your identity AFAIK

It won't help for this year but generally I wouldn't let my over payment get as high as 11K.....Happy Monday:angel: Good luck

We did file through TurboTax, but the way the notice read, it made me think of an ID theft problem with another agency other than the IRS, but was being collected by the IRS. But it’s a non problem now and just an overreaction on my part.

The high overpayment was for the specific purpose of getting iBonds, which they did screw up. I had some large unplanned year end charitable donations that made the refund larger.

Dash did we miss something that's its now a non problem?

Dash did we miss something that's its now a non problem?

It’s a non problem. Identity theft has happened to us before, so we tend to go there and panic right away.

Moderators can close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom