We are entering a "Golden Period" for fixed income investing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to be making my point for me. Rates peaked in Oct.

This is February. The Fed has raised 150 basis points since then. And bond yields have responded by steadily declining outside the short term issues.

Long term yields are mispriced today and rates ebb and flow. There is no way a 10 year treasury is a buy at 3.6%. The Wall Street rate cut starting in June 2023 scenario isn't happening. Even the market is starting to realize that. I would pay more attention to CEOs of large bank and the Fed than Wall Street bond traders. Following their lead will only get investors into trouble.

The most liquid bond market in the world is nonetheless "mispriced".

The Wall Street rate cut starting in June 2023 scenario isn't happening.

Strawman argument.

I would pay more attention to CEOs of large bank and the Fed than Wall Street bond traders. Following their lead will only get investors into trouble.

Follow pundits, ignore the market. Got it.

But which pundits to follow? They are all over the place. And the FED has nothing to say about rates outside the shortest issues.

Bank CEO's hope for a soft landing but expect recession. Recession means lower rates. But you hope for higher rates.

So really not sure how these sources are guiding you to a view that mid to longer term rates are going to reverse course and begin trending 15-20% higher.

We are entering a "Golden Period" for fixed income investing

I have no idea where long term rates are headed but this is an interesting quote from a Bloomberg daily email that I get

“Joe Lavorgna, chief US economist at SMBC Nikko, looked at the six inversions since regular two-year Treasury auctions started in 1976:

The average duration of these half-dozen cycles is 13 months. At present, the curve has been inverted for seven months beginning last July. Eventually, the curve must normalize because the financial system cannot function if the cost of borrowing exceeds the rate of interest on issued loans. Every time curve inversion reversed, it was the result of falling interest rates. Yields on both two- and 10-year notes declined, with the former falling more than the latter. In no instance did the curve un-invert because the yield on the 10-year note went higher. This is important because some investors speculate that the yield on 10-year Treasury notes will go up from their present level, perhaps matching or piercing last October’s 4.24% high.”

So the implication is that if history is a guide, the fed funds must drop, rather than the 10 year rise, to reenable the positive slope on the curve.

How many bonds did you have to buy to get your ladder setup?

I bought the initial bonds over a period of a year. I can’t remember how many initially, maybe 30-40 for a ten year ladder, but now I own over 180 bonds in a taxable and a tax free ladder. My positions range from $10,000 to $120,000. Typical is in the $25,000 - $40,000 ish range, maybe.

There was a comment awhile back about not buying bonds over par. Besides the obvious loss from a call or risk of default, as long as the yield to maturity/worse is okay, then I don't understand why purchasing over par is an issue.

Many bonds list a conditional call, like this one from Toronto Bank, CUSIP 89114TZD7. I tried to look this up on FINRA but couldn't find any information on what the conditional call means. I saw a general reference that conditional call means if a company calls it, they must replace it with a similar security. Is that what it means?

There was a comment awhile back about not buying bonds over par. Besides the obvious loss from a call or risk of default, as long as the yield to maturity/worse is okay, then I don't understand why purchasing over par is an issue.

Back in the low yield days I paid premiums on some muni bonds that had the coupon and duration I sought. The call dates were far enough out that the premium I paid was not really at risk - the coupon made up for it many times over. It worked out fine.

If the call date is sooner rather than later, the premium is then at risk, but you know that already.

If rates drop, you are going to see premiums on a lot of bonds.

Bond premiums in taxable accounts are a reportable tax item and may be a benefit for taxation of the income.

sure am glad i bought that GS BBB 5.3% bond...

FEDERAL HOME LN MTG 5.5% 02/28/2028 Callable
3134GYHU9
Recently Issued
08/28/2023 @ 100.00000

The most liquid bond market in the world is nonetheless "mispriced".

Strawman argument.

Follow pundits, ignore the market. Got it.

But which pundits to follow? They are all over the place. And the FED has nothing to say about rates outside the shortest issues.

Bank CEO's hope for a soft landing but expect recession. Recession means lower rates. But you hope for higher rates.

So really not sure how these sources are guiding you to a view that mid to longer term rates are going to reverse course and begin trending 15-20% higher.

Each of us must make our own decisions in terms of where we *THINK* rates are going, inflation is going, the equity market is going, and so on.

I does bother me that some participants here post as if they *KNOW* and that other thoughts (e.g. one thinks the yields have peaked last October or are yet to peak) are foolish. None of us know the future (at least I don't) but we must place our bets regardless (and not betting is effectively placing a bet).

We would all be better served here trying to help each other via knowledge and what is vs. predictions of what is to come. Or to at least state it as "I think" or "I believe" when it comes to future predictions.

Each of us must make our own decisions in terms of where we *THINK* rates are going, inflation is going, the equity market is going, and so on.

I does bother me that some participants here post as if they *KNOW* and that other thoughts (e.g. one thinks the yields have peaked last October or are yet to peak) are foolish. None of us know the future (at least I don't) but we must place our bets regardless (and not betting is effectively placing a bet).

We would all be better served here trying to help each other via knowledge and what is vs. predictions of what is to come. Or to at least state it as "I think" or "I believe" when it comes to future predictions.

I agree and that is why I just follow a mechanical process of reinvesting maturing bonds on the long end, rinse and repeat. I may be leaving money on the table, but a perfect plan should never get in the way of a good one.

I appreciate everyone's input. I started building my ladder a few weeks ago. I still have a long way to go, but I'm slowing finding bonds at the rates, risk, and maturities I want.

I did my heaviest buying during the months of October and November. I scooped up large positions in notes with coupons ranging from 6.25-6.75%. I am well aware of the call risk associated with those holdings. Was that the peak? I really don't know. What I do know is that I will not lock in long durations at low yields. The same discipline I used in 2021 applies today. If you look at my posts on this forum dating back to 2013, I buy when the market is selling. Market timing is not evil. It actually works with fixed income trading and appropriate. Nothing Powell said today that he is cutting rates in June like the "market" was forecasting. The message to me was "don't expect interest rates to go down anytime soon".

+1

I tend to give more weight to those who know enough to say that they could be wrong.

Me? I have a decent ladder out to 5 years. But, the 3-5 year steps have too many callable bonds/CDs for my tastes.(It doesn't help that several contributors to this discussion have had 6+% bonds called within a few months of buying them.) My goal is to beef these steps up with non-callable issues. But, it's hard to buy a 3-5 year CD or bond that is yielding significantly less than a 12 or 18 month CD. How many current dollars do I give up in the next year or two to perhaps beat the lower rates in 3-5 years? Darn! If only my Time Machine had not broken. :(

Last edited:
I have no idea where long term rates are headed but this is an interesting quote from a Bloomberg daily email that I get

“Joe Lavorgna, chief US economist at SMBC Nikko, looked at the six inversions since regular two-year Treasury auctions started in 1976:

The average duration of these half-dozen cycles is 13 months. At present, the curve has been inverted for seven months beginning last July. Eventually, the curve must normalize because the financial system cannot function if the cost of borrowing exceeds the rate of interest on issued loans. Every time curve inversion reversed, it was the result of falling interest rates. Yields on both two- and 10-year notes declined, with the former falling more than the latter. In no instance did the curve un-invert because the yield on the 10-year note went higher. This is important because some investors speculate that the yield on 10-year Treasury notes will go up from their present level, perhaps matching or piercing last October’s 4.24% high.”

So the implication is that if history is a guide, the fed funds must drop, rather than the 10 year rise, to reenable the positive slope on the curve.

Thanks so much for this. I mentioned last week that it was entirely possible for the inverted yield curve to uninvert without longer term rates increasing, and they can even decrease. This data indicates that this type of scenario is quite likely in light of historical experiences.

I think there is one important thing to keep in mind if you are considering a bond with a make whole call provision. According to a representative at Vanguard's fixed income desk, the yield to maturity/worse does not include make whole calls. They can't calculate a yield to worse without knowing the date or the conditions at the time of the make whole call. So, you definitely can lose money buying above par even if the stated yield to maturity/worse looks okay. I'm staying away from any above par purchases, especially when there are make whole calls.

Market timing is not evil. It actually works with fixed income trading and appropriate. Nothing Powell said today that he is cutting rates in June like the "market" was forecasting. The message to me was "don't expect interest rates to go down anytime soon".

Market timing is not evil. But, it often is based on predictions, not certain facts. The more certainty, the better. But asserting something as fact rather than the prediction it is doesn't change the nature of that decision. I do appreciate hearing everyone's explanations for their predictions.

There is reinvestment risk with bonds. And the significance of that reinvestment risk is going to be more important to some than others.

Powell has been saying for months that he believes that rates will not be cut for some time and there has been no reason, based on what he says, to think that there will be cuts in 2023. The markets aren't listening. The stock market was up today despite Powell's comments. The bond market was up only a little, but it is down overall over the months that Powell has been making it clear that the Fed rate isn't coming down any time soon. It's frustrating.

+1

I tend to give more weight to those who know enough to say that they could be wrong.

Me? I have a decent ladder out to 5 years. But, the 3-5 year steps have too many callable bonds/CDs for my tastes.(It doesn't help that several contributors to this discussion have had 6+% bonds called within a few months of buying them.) My goal is to beef these steps up with non-callable issues. But, it's hard to buy a 3-5 year CD or bond that is yielding significantly less than a 12 or 18 month CD. How many current dollars do I give up in the next year or two to perhaps beat the lower rates in 3-5 years? Darn! If only my Time Machine had not broken. :(

ITA. I'm having the same dilemma, though I'm not buying 12-18 month CDs. I think that money market yields probably are going to yield as much or close to those CDs in the end and having money in the money markets leaves me with cash in case some good offerings come up.

I'm trying to buy a time machine on the secondary market. But, I think I may get a better deal in a few months, so I think I may wait. I'm not sure, though. I may be passing up some relatively good time machine deals. the pundits and experts I've consulted have conflicting opinions on whether and when to buy a time machine. ;)

Last edited:
Intel is planning to issue $11 billion in bonds. Coupon pricing and durations will be available soon. Below is the the report from Fitch today on the new issues.

https://www.fitchratings.com/resear...intel-corp-senior-notes-offering-a-07-02-2023

What is the best way to keep an eye open for this? I am really green when it comes to bonds but have been reading what I can, including your posts. I wish I could have gotten in on the bank bond you spoke of a while back.

Nothing Powell said today that he is cutting rates in June like the "market" was forecasting.

I assume you mean to say "not cutting rates". Again, this is a strawman argument. No one has said the Fed would cut in June. What the FED has said is they will cut in 2024, according to their dot plot.

The message to me was "don't expect interest rates to go down anytime soon".

Not until 2024 if you believe the Fed's dots. But of course, the Fed does not control "rates" in general, only the Fed funds rate which is an overnight lending rate. Other rates have declined steadily in the face of the last 150 basis points of Fed rate cuts.

Now, they DID bounce up a bit after the jobs report, which was so out of kilter with expectations. But only a bit.

The mid to longer term rates are not determined by the Fed. They are determined by the market, which weighs expectations of future inflation more than anything. That is why mid to long rates have been coming down while Fed fuds rates have continued to go up.

I That is why mid to long rates have been coming down while Fed fuds rates have continued to go up.

Was this an intentional slip up? Conscious or unconscious? :D

Either way I like the description of the rate of fear uncertainty and doubt we all wallow in at this moment.

Last edited:
I assume you mean to say "not cutting rates". Again, this is a strawman argument. No one has said the Fed would cut in June. What the FED has said is they will cut in 2024, according to their dot plot..

Yes, I meant to say "not." It's not a strawman argument. Of course nobody at the Fed has said that they plan to cut rates this year, but a lot of people seem to believe that they will anyway. There has been tons of speculation about a pivot and actions based on such speculation despite what Powell says. My point was that lots of people aren't believing him, and I don't think predictions are that easy. There are so many conflicting opinions about what is going to happen with the Fed, what is going to happen with bond yields, what is going to happen with the stock market or sectors of the stock market, etc.

Some people think that bond yields are going to bounce back up in the coming months and some don't. Some believe that we are in a bear rally and will enter a recession soon and some don't. You can find a lot of varying opinions. These are opinions and predictions, but not facts or certainties.

I understand but it is still a little frustrating.

I don’t understand why Schwab wouldn’t have an arrangement with Fido to acquire a few bonds occasionally and vice versa. Even if it eats into their margin a bit it’s all about meeting customer needs.

What is the best way to keep an eye open for this? I am really green when it comes to bonds but have been reading what I can, including your posts. I wish I could have gotten in on the bank bond you spoke of a while back.

News outlets like Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal report on these big financing deals. I would wait to see what the durations and coupons are before buying Intel Bonds. I saw this coming across on Bloomberg.

The SEC site allows you to search all filings:

https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-...ype=&owner=include&count=40&action=getcurrent

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/50863/000119312523026253/d426603d424b5.htm

Last edited:
A second RBC 5.25% on Fidelity, 10 year term with 5 years of call protection. This one seems a bit more attractive, so I might switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom