We are Retiring Again

1 Life

Confused about dryer sheets
Retiring again: Me at 60, and my wife at 49 (49 for the 6th time). Biggest challenge is how to make these retirement years exciting and not just a repeating the same year over and over. Looking forward to sharing some views and getting some ideas from other members. I expect I will enter some posts under the travel information section.

signed: “I Life”

Buy an rv or travel trailer.

One of the very best things we have done.

Hey 1 Life. Interested to hear more about your story. W/ everyone working toward ER and all, what's the downside?

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

With rving you can supplement your income by being a campground host a month or so a year. Free rent and some coins in your pocket.

You get to meet some neat people and stay active.

Hellp Moemy & Ultimate Cheapskate: Still not ready to retire full time. Hopefully, never will be. My career/job is not longer a real important part of my life but it still adds Zest. Ideally my part time retirment jobs (volunterred or paid) will be different than how I earned a living to raise my family, but it will keep my live full and busy. And it will fit into any travel or social plans I may have. 'This is the time in my life where my travel or social plans come first. But most important; I still need a reason to get up in the morning. And I can not spend all day just smelling the flowers.

With rving you can supplement your income by being a campground host a month or so a year. Free rent and some coins in your pocket.

You get to meet some neat people and stay active.

According to an NPR show I heard a few weeks ago, it sounds like all the RV'ers are saving money by staying in WalMart parking lots. Not the type of ER I'm looking for. ;)

Harley

Biggest challenge is how to make these retirement years exciting and not just repeating the same year over and over.
Two suggestions:

(1) travel (not to Walmart parking lots, but to various countries that are sufficiently different to stand out in your memories);

(2) engage in one or more activities in which you can make progress and feel that you are improving your skills. The specific nature of the activity is not particularly important, as long as it matters to you. It could be earning a degree, or learning how to scuba dive or sail, or climbing the ranks as a volunteer coach, or participating in a sport with well-defined achievement levels such as one of the martial arts. Whatever turns you on!

"Most people can do extraordinary things if they have the confidence or take the risks. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the telly and treat life as if it goes on forever": Philip Adams, Australian commentator.

Another thought: you might benefit from reading Ed Zelinski's The Joy of Not Working.

1 Life
My career/job is not longer a real important part of my life but it still adds Zest. Ideally my part time retirment jobs (volunterred or paid) will be different than how I earned a living to raise my family, but it will keep my live full and busy. And it will fit into any travel or social plans I may have. 'This is the time in my life where my travel or social plans come first. But most important; I still need a reason to get up in the morning. And I can not spend all day just smelling the flowers.
Hi 1Life,

Welcome!

Why not take a look at our Relocation, Retirement Jobs and Community Service page? About ½ down are lots of listings for the full or part time job of your dreams -- Work while traveling or get involved in your community or any community…

If you are interested in Rving… check out our Lifestyles Page or maybe our Travel Page might interest you.

Good luck!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Back
Top Bottom