Wealthier people can social distance better and faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is speculation that when everyone comes out of their hiding places that the virus will have a second (or third) wave. For instance, a bank or brokerage in NYC has everyone teleworking. At some point that bank will want people back into the office. no vaccine, no immunity. Now the bank could pay for antibody tests for everyone, and the people that already had the virus 'get' to go back to the office. The others will have to do a a 'rip van winkle' wait for a vaccine.

Other options will be since folks have "learned", they could all wear masks at work, and maintain safer distance be not bringing back to office all the staff.

But, yes, without a vaccine or moderating medicine or solar flare ? , this thing is going to drag on for a year for sure. :blush:

There is speculation that when everyone comes out of their hiding places that the virus will have a second (or third) wave. For instance, a bank or brokerage in NYC has everyone teleworking. At some point that bank will want people back into the office. no vaccine, no immunity. Now the bank could pay for antibody tests for everyone, and the people that already had the virus 'get' to go back to the office. The others will have to do a a 'rip van winkle' wait for a vaccine.

That scenario wouldn't work so well for those who have become furloughed. It assumes that employers would be willing to pay for the tests, which may not be so. It assumes that at any particular location, enough employees have had the virus to allow the place to get back up and running again. It punishes employees who haven't had the virus, if the employer isn't willing to let them come back to work until they can get vaccinated, which experts keep saying is at least 18 months away. Unemployment has been extended, but not long enough to keep paying people until a vaccine is found.

In the long run, we are all dead.

“The old man smiled. 'I shall not die of a cold, my son. I shall die of having lived.”

― Willa Cather

How long is a life long enough? 70 or 80 or 90?

One can just get infected and let the virus decide. :)

And in other shocking news, what many have long suspected turns out to be true - the Pope is Catholic.

Heck, the rich can hire people to social distance for them! :D

+1 lol

It’s awesome that the soldier carried the donkey instead of shooting it!

I imagine that the donkey would be loaded up and hauling supplies afterward....if it wasn't barbecued, that is. ;)

DW noticed this when teaching her online classes. Some of her students are from modest backgrounds, and their families are in apartments with many family members where they cannot take a class in private. One poor girl is trying to take the class in the bathroom. She can hear the apartment doors constantly opening and closing as people go in and out. It is difficult to social distance in such close quarters.

What's Captain Renault's reaction?

Or Captain Obvious?

Heck, wealthy people can do just about everything better. Why the heck would people work to obtain a skill, education, or just plain work harder to build wealth if there was no advantage to it?

Clearly, a lot of people are going to need help, I'm not oblivious to that, but what's the point of an article about it ? I'd guess it has more to do with pushing an agenda (wealthy people bad) than presenting informative "news".

-ERD50

I imagine that the donkey would be loaded up and hauling supplies afterward....if it wasn't barbecued, that is. ;)

Reminds me of a presentation I saw on the Shackleton expedition (to the South Pole). You see all the dogs they started with. After getting trapped for months in the sea ice, I don't recall seeing any dogs?

-ERD50

Slightly off topic, but it occurs to me that this nation was pretty much founded on a land depopulated by a series of epidemics. When the Pilgrims showed up, there was all this nice cultivated land and no one around. Such irony.

https://slate.com/technology/2012/1...been-killed-off-by-an-infectious-disease.html

from the article: "Rapid spikes in COVID-19 cases, and the severity of those cases, on the Navajo Nation has health care professionals, government officials and citizens worried.

Data compiled by the Journal shows that, as of Saturday night, the per capita rate of reported cases on Navajo land is more than seven times higher than in New Mexico. New Mexico had reported results for 16,828 tests, with 543 to date coming back positive."

In a phone call last week with President Donald Trump, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham pleaded for more resources, warning that the virus could “wipe out those tribal nations,” according to a transcript of an audio recording obtained by CBS News."

https://www.abqjournal.com/1440407/it-is-scary-ndash-we-need-to-hunker-down.html?

Last edited:
Not as dire as your friend's situation (I hope for the best for her!). Still --- I've mentioned in other threads, that while awaiting the clearances for my eventual Federal career, I earned my living as an administrative assistant (we called it "secretary" back then) for a small, family-run firm, which offered no health insurance.

When I ended up in the ER with a burned hand, I called the boss lady to let her know I could not do anything with my right hand for a while. Her very first reaction was, "But who will put out our company newsletter?" She docked me for the days I could not work, until my hand healed enough to let me type with 2 fingers on that hand.

A close friend of mine is at the lower end of the income range - below what would probably be classified as the bottom end of a middle class income. She has worked relatively low wage jobs all her life. About a year ago, she landed a job at a well-known non-profit institution. She had been wanting to work there for several years, and finally managed to land a position. The pay is a little better, though by the standards of most here, not stellar. However, it's enough to cover her very modest cost of living. Like me, she is lucky enough to have cheap rent in a high COL area. Not only is the pay a little better at her current job, but she really loves it. In that respect, it's a huge step up for her.

Even though still a modest earner, she has noticed a big difference in the way she is being treated by this organization during the current crisis, than the way things would have panned out with the other (for-profit) companies she worked for in the past. With everyone else she has ever worked for, she has little doubt that she would have been laid off by now. Her current employer, despite having been closed for business for about a month now, is keeping her on at full pay through the end of April. Then she will be furloughed for 2 or 3 months, when they hope to re-open, hopefully in a gradual return to normal. There are regular phone conferences with employees, to keep them updated.

Obviously no-one knows exactly how any of this will turn out, and how it will affect businesses in the long run, but it is notable how hard this organization is working to keep it's current team of employees - and to reinstate them when they are up and running again. My friend is a rather anxious person, who trends not to value herself as much as she should. It is very telling that she has been quite upbeat throughout this whole process because, for once, she feels valued by her employer. I am interpreting it as the difference between a for-profit and a non-profit organization. Their employees are not merely viewed as replaceable "units" in the mission to turn a profit. This is heartening to me. I have benefited from our economic system, as has most everyone on this board, but there is little doubt that it can be brutal to the more vulnerable, less adaptable, or just plain unlucky members of our society during downturns.

Heck, wealthy people can do just about everything better. Why the heck would people work to obtain a skill, education, or just plain work harder to build wealth if there was no advantage to it?

Clearly, a lot of people are going to need help, I'm not oblivious to that, but what's the point of an article about it ? I'd guess it has more to do with pushing an agenda (wealthy people bad) than presenting informative "news".

-ERD50

That's how I see it too.

In other news "Leopards are better hunters than Manatees".

Or Captain Obvious?

-ERD50

I think the article is speculating this virus is going to savage poor people worse than wealthy.

By early statistics coming out of NYC, the data seems to agree with this. So the article was speculative in nature, but is likely correct.

It's not a rich people = bad article.
Maybe more information on why the lower classes might need more support to get past this.

Obviously no-one knows exactly how any of this will turn out, and how it will affect businesses in the long run, but it is notable how hard this organization is working to keep it's current team of employees - and to reinstate them when they are up and running again. My friend is a rather anxious person, who trends not to value herself as much as she should. It is very telling that she has been quite upbeat throughout this whole process because, for once, she feels valued by her employer. I am interpreting it as the difference between a for-profit and a non-profit organization. Their employees are not merely viewed as replaceable "units" in the mission to turn a profit. ....

I'm not so sure we can attribute that to for-profit vs non-profit. The non-profit needs to stay afloat if they are going to provide their goods/services and keep helping people. They have bills to pay, rent, utilities, etc. In fact, they may be running so lean that they can't weather a storm as well as a for-profit.

A for-profit company may also go some distance to hold onto employees. Separate from any 'good will', which may or may not be in any organization, if those employees have skill sets that are hard to replace or train for, or experience that is vital to the company, the company will try to hang on to them as much as they can.

I guess I think it is could be more situational than simply for-profit vs non-profit.

-ERD50

The irony of this virus is that the wealthy will live it out - isolated with others doing shopping and deconning. Their kids will be safe. The rest of us have to live in the real world, some in more dangerous occupations. And its these occupations that are essential for their safe isolation. Yet the wealthy won't give back in form of higher taxes to allow lower income to have affordable healthcare or a living wage. At the end of this will be even more class divides with the wealthy able to plan how to survive and prosper at the next crisis.

The irony of this virus is that the wealthy will live it out - isolated with others doing shopping and deconning. Their kids will be safe. The rest of us have to live in the real world, some in more dangerous occupations. And its these occupations that are essential for their safe isolation. Yet the wealthy won't give back in form of higher taxes to allow lower income to have affordable healthcare or a living wage. At the end of this will be even more class divides with the wealthy able to plan how to survive and prosper at the next crisis.

True.
At some point the emphasis on treating all of humanity humanely will be a bigger priority than GDP or what the DOW did today.
Generations Y and Z seem to care more about the earth as a whole than the baby boomer generation which has a death grip on our politics. We'll have a baby boomer as president with Trump or Biden in 2021-2024 that way it looks. By 2024 we'll have a millenial or maybe a Gen-x'er at President and the poor will be better served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom