Web Briefing: ACA Open Enrollment in Florida and Texas

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Web Briefing: What Should Consumers Know about ACA Open Enrollment in Florida and Texas?

On Friday, Oct. 27, 2017 at 12:00 pm ET, the Kaiser Family Foundation will hold a web briefing focusing on key information for individuals shopping for marketplace coverage in Florida and Texas.

The session will offer a framework for understanding premiums and financial assistance in marketplaces in these two states, along with an overview of how many insurers are offering plans. It will outline important new rules that could affect coverage for individuals and their families, and will provide state-specific insights on what consumers can expect and where they can go for help.

Questions from the audience are encouraged.

Just want to mention a quick note.

Kaiser has a certain reputation for cost management. Critics claim Kaiser gives up on patients rather than pursue treatments which are expensive.

It seems like I'm going through with that with my father, who's on their Medicare Advantage plans. We sought second opinions from outside Kaiser and the doctors have refused to give referrals or approvals for getting payments for outside exams or treatments which they refuse to do.

I heard from other hospitals that a referral from Kaiser doctors are needed because Kaiser controls My fathers Medicare money, not just for supplemental coverage. I don't know if that's how these Medicare Advantage plans work but the doctors have certainly not helped us get outside doctors to review the case.

This experience has soured me on Kaiser. I actually considered getting an exchange plan from them because they have a relatively new hospital nearby.

I'm not criticizing the work of KFF, which may be completely separate from their hospitals and doctors.

But be wary if they try to nudge you towards KP plans.

But now, I want to make sure my mother goes with a different Medicare advantage plans.

The Kaiser Family Foundation that simple girl linked is a non-profil organization that is not related in any way with Kaiser Permanente health insurance company.

Agreeing with Michael - KFF is different than Kaiser Permanente.

I think Kaiser Permanente is similar to other medicare advantage (HMO style) plans - they provide Medicare A-Z all under one umbrella. But Kaiser Permanente is a bit different than other insurers in that they are closed network... You see Kaiser Permanente doctors are directly employed by Kaiser Permanente - so they don't see BCBS patients, or Aetna patients... A good friend is on a medicare advantage through Aetna... she can only see doctors in her network... or she pays full freight. Her oncologist (who she sees every 2 or 3 years, as a survivor) is out of network - but she chooses to pay out of pocket.

Regardless of Kaiser's limitations, they are one of the few insurers left that's committed to the exchange and have reiterated that committment after the CSR decision. In metro ATL they may be the only provider left after next year given current trends, so there's a chance we may have no choice but to go with them (our only choices next year are Kaiser and Ambetter and the latter has horrible reviews). Kaiser is now hiring more docs and other staff in anticipation of a lot of new business here.

Really hate it that BCBS pulled out of the market, they have been a good insurer for us this year. We're going to be picking a new provider for the third straight year now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom