Web sites to compare prices

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What are the good sites where you can do some comparison shopping for items such as electronics, computer equipment, books, clothes, etc? I generally use Google shopping and MySimon.com. Or sometimes I just do a general Google search. One problem with being a LBYM'er is I'm not an expert shopper by any means, and this time of year is difficult. :angel:

Honestly, US is such a big market but all price comparison sites here are plain junk, totally useless. Take a look at prisjakt.nu THE BEST in the business (Swedish website, useless for US prices but great if you want to buy a specific product and you can not figure out specifications, like laptops, TVs etc.)

To your question, best is froogle (now google shopping) but be warned of taxes and shipping. Sometimes they fail there.

Or the trick that I use (that usually does not need comparison shopping), rarely someone sells cheaper than Amazon so what I do is, I keep looking for products that I would like to buy sometimes during my free time and I have camelcamelcamel extension installed in Chrome. If I like the product, you click on the icon and it tells you what is the cheapest price amazon has sold the product. I set up a price alert around that price and as soon I get an email that it has met the criteria, I buy the product. So far failed only once.

I usually search within SlickDeals.net and FatWallet.com to see if there have been decent deals online or in-store. You can post to get help on specific products in SlickDeals. Typically a lively forum.CamelCamelCamel is a good indicator although I have seen at least once where the low price I saw on amazon didn't show up at all on CCC.

Recently I was trying to find a red blouse. I usually put the description into Google, click on images, then I just click on one I like and it takes me to the website. Not ideal though because I can't see the price. Then I found these two websites that narrow down my search by a description of the item and also allow me to look at the price. You can set up sale alerts also.
Red Silk Blouse at ShopStyle
Red Silk Blouse - Shop for Red Silk Blouse at Polyvore

For the stuff I buy, there's usually a small handful of companies that consistently have the best prices and customer service (i.e. return policies). For example, with photo gear I almost never bother look anywhere other than BHPhoto. Any place that is cheaper is questionable or has restocking fees for returns etc.

Back
Top Bottom