Weird food

Nice ripe Limburger cheese, room temp, with red onion slices on Rye toast points....

I REALLY used to like Leiderkranz cheese but it's not made anymore...

I always marvel at who was the first person brave enough to eat stuff like Limburger and sardines, but then you see what other cultures eat as regular fare and it's not so unusual......

Are we adding these to the recipe thread? Some good stuff here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

When our parents weren't looking we'd somtimes make 'butter' and sugar sandwiches. These were made with spreadable margerine (because this was the late 60's early 70's and that was considered the health choice back then.) and spoonfuls of white sugar.

Oh yeah. And sometimes with cinnamon sugar instead of plain sugar. Nice and gritty!

Fried bologna sandwich, with bright yellow mustard, on fluffy white Wonder bread

I grew up on those as an early teen. I would slice and fry up a bunch of slabs (dad used to by bologna in a long tube) and sit and listen to a Yankee ball game on Saturday on the radio. We didn't have a TV in the late 1950's.

Drinking sauerkraut juice is the worst thing i've see so far. Reading that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Then I swallowed it and that probably tasted better than drinking sauerkraut juice.
Ok, I've got to stop reading on this forum now...no one could top this post :LOL:

Ok, I've got to stop reading on this forum now...no one could top this post :LOL:

I got a good laugh over it, too! I don't buy sauerkraut to drink the juice btw. When I buy sauerkraut(a couple of times a year from a farm market that makes their own from their own cabbage) I incidentally like to drain out a little of the juice and drink it. My mother did this, too. Years ago I saw sauerkraut juice being sold in small cans but I don't know what the purpose of marketing it this way would be unless to drink it.

This thread is like family. Parts I love dearly, others I don't want to be with in the same room. :D

Lots of good stuff here ( I love blood sausage), for the others it's not the ingredients but the way they're put together. I'll try anything once, but a couple of posts are way up there on my "yuck-o-meter" scale. :)

Head cheese!!! I forgot about that because you can't buy REAL headcheese anywhere where I live....

my Mom used to make it from scratch back in the 60's.....we were poor so we ate EVERY scrap....

Head cheese in a little bit of vinegar.

Tongue ( from a cow) is another dish I remember from long ago, served sliced and cold. It must've been cheap that's why we ate it. IT was good as I recall. A few years ago I saw tongues for sale in our local store....I could not bring myself to try it again.

Years ago I saw sauerkraut juice being sold in small cans but I don't know what the purpose of marketing it this way would be unless to drink it.

It's got health benefits because it's got probiotics. Not sure exactly what that means except that it's like yogurt in that way. The live cultures involved n the fermentation are good for your digestive tract.

Curried tuna that i make.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Funny, but I grew up with a love for blood sausage (and head cheese). A very German deli was only a quarter-mile from our house, and they made their own (but later switched to Boar's Head brand, which is very good). Many people look askance at it, but we know better!
I know a good German deli in Cincinnati where I can still often buy blood and tongue sausage, and I consider it a special treat whenever I can stop in and get some.

In olden days when I was very hungry: Anything that moves, grows. I real dire times even if it no longer moved or grew.

My Dad and Mom were first generation Americans and they were both fond of things like pickled pigs feet, head cheese, and tongue. My Dad also liked tripe and blood pudding and all kinds of sausages. He had to give them up as he aged as he developed gout. I like sauteed chicken livers (in sherry and butter) if I can find them free range and also enjoy chopped liver from a good deli much more so than the typical deli pastrami or corned beef.

Tongue ( from a cow) is another dish I remember from long ago, served sliced and cold. It must've been cheap that's why we ate it. IT was good as I recall. A few years ago I saw tongues for sale in our local store....I could not bring myself to try it again.

When I was a kid, we used to have beef tongue with vinaigrette and escargots with herb butter every year for mother's day. My grandmother considered those a treat.

When I went to France last May, I tried andouillette, a sausage stuffed with tripes and other intestinal bits with a very distinctive -some would say disgusting- smell.

Many of the thing posted so far have been normal fare on our table since I was a little kid. Bread with butter sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon was a regular breakfast. We also regularly ate beef tongue, pan-fried beef heart, breaded & fried hog brains, liver & onions, and pickled pigs feet, just to name a few. I liked all of it except for the brains and the liver.

The one thing that most of my friends regarded as weird, was bagna cauda.....melt some butter (the more the better!) in a large, heavy sauce pan, slice and sauté several cloves of garlic (again, the more the better!), add in a couple tins of anchovies, and a good 'squeeze' of anchovy paste. When the garlic is slightly browned, dump in a quart of half & half, whipping cream, or heavy cream (or a combination of them), and bring up to a slight simmer. Take it off the heat, and serve it up in bowls to dip crusty bread and/or veggies in. When us kids were very little, and hadn't acquired the skills needed to dip bread w/o making a huge mess, the folks would serve ours in mugs to just drink it! YUM!!!

Just had a turkey burger for lunch with black beans in it, smothered in BBQ sauce. very good. I tried the same BBQ sauce on apple slices - also very good. Then tried apple slices with maple almond butter - very good. I'm eating my apples with a sauce or butter from now on

I grew up on a beef farm and we usually slaughtered a cow once a year for our own freezer, so I've eaten "everything but the moo" as they say.

Some other things I enjoy either come from my British parents or from around other parts of Canada:
- Marmite on toast. or with melted cheddar.
- "sweet eggs" fried eggs with maple syrup.
- sardine and white vinegar toasted sandwiches.
- ketchup chips with french onion dip.
- moosemeat tourtiere with or without some fiddleheads on the side.
- "fried bread" my dads favorite. you soak white bread in bacon fat until it is sopping and then fry it. incredibly hard on the arteries but tastes so good.

I've tried liver before (beef, chicken), but just don't find the combination of taste/texture/heaviness to be appealing.

The only other unusual (for some) item I eat and enjoy would probably be "ox tails" (simply the tail from the cattle). You might not think there's much meat there, but there's enough. They have just the right amount of fat to sweeten the meat, and have a delicious tenderness after simmering in a stew with some potatoes, carrots, green beans and other fixins for several hours. Grandma's version would include taking some small soup pasta and cooking it in the stew broth. Sprinkle a liberal amount of Parmesan cheese on top, and MMMMMmmmmmm.....

Forgot about ox tail soup. My grandmother used to make it and it was very good.

Soft shelled crabs, fried eel, blowfish tails, whelk, and all kinds of other fresh seafood were other stuff that was commonly on the table when I was a kid (all the stuff we caught). Never liked the skate wings, though.

Will be sitting down to squirrel & rabbit gumbo over rice for lunch...

Cream cheese and olive sandwich on rye bread. Black olives are best, but green are ok in a pinch. Also, must drink chocolate milk using Nestles Quick to go with it.

Never liked the skate wings, though.

I've actually tried skate once in a restaurant and enjoyed it, and have heard a few tv personalities (Andrew Zimmern, et. al.) say it can be quite delicious. What I can remember is that it was very tender and good.

What didn't you like about it? How it was prepared? Texture?

Back
Top Bottom