Wellesley & LifeStrategy Conservative Growth

kevink

Full time employment: Posting here.
I’m wondering if any of the many Vanguard fans here are using either of these funds or a combination of them as their sole or primary portfolio.

I’m thinking that a 50:50 blend of the two might make a pretty good minimalist retirement choice. With Wellesley being actively-managed and very U.S. - centric it’s hard for me to choose it exclusively, but equally difficult to ignore its many decades of out-performance.

No experience with LifeStrategy Conservative Growth. The bulk of my portfolio is in Wellesley and Wellington funds and have been for 15+ years. I'm a conservative, "don't just do something, stand there" type investor and the combo has worked well for me.

Last edited:
We have reduced our holdings to LS Moderate, Wellesley, Wellington. We already had the W's and added the Life Strategy when it came out and discontinued new money into the W's.
All happy here:)

We use both in different parts of our portfolio. No complaints.

Don't forget there are global options for the W's as well. I briefly held the global Wellington, in my ira.

Ive owned both Wellesley and Wellington at 50/50 going into the year. But sold the Wellington right after New Years. No regrets, other than the lack of international.

The life strategy funds seem like nice options as well. Id be happy with either again when I get back in.

Our IRAs (all Roth) are Wellington and Wellesley, my wife’s are LifeStrategy Income. Retired over 10 years, and taking all the dividends as tax free income to supplement our pensions. No complaints.

I haven't used Windsor, Wellington or Wellesley. Though I've seen them all praised here and elsewhere. I guess I'm a passive index investor through and through. I have all the Life Strategy funds in various parts of my portfolio. Just added the Conservative Growth one to a taxable account. I've been very happy with them.

Our IRAs (all Roth) are Wellington and Wellesley, my wife’s are LifeStrategy Income. Retired over 10 years, and taking all the dividends as tax free income to supplement our pensions. No complaints.

Both Wellesley and Wellington have some unqualified dividends, so there may some tax consequences to withdrawals in a taxable account.

Both Wellesley and Wellington have some unqualified dividends, so there may some tax consequences to withdrawals in a taxable account.

I totally agree which is why I was careful to specify in my post that they were Roth withdrawals, and why I kept them in IRAs during the accumulation period.

A big chunk of my IRA port is Wellesley and Wellington.

I totally agree which is why I was careful to specify in my post that they were Roth withdrawals, and why I kept them in IRAs during the accumulation period.

Yes, I noticed the same, just added for those holding in a different account.

Best to you,

Vw

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom