Votes: 11 6.3%
  • 40s

Votes: 43 24.7%
  • 50s

Votes: 106 60.9%
  • 60s

Votes: 13 7.5%

• Total voters
Going a little off topic here, but in reply to Elderdude, I have to say that we also have concerns with leaving our house when we travel. It's always difficult to find someone to take care of things, especially in snow country! Our friends winter in Mexico and they were contacted by their building superintendent when the water line to their washing machine had burst and flooded their unit, the unit below them and all down the elevator between floors to the lobby 9 floors below! Hardwood destroyed! No telling how long the water was running, but isn't it your worst nightmare?
It doesn't stop us from going but do wish there was an answer here. Good luck with your dogs!

SamIam said:
Going a little off topic here, but in reply to Elderdude, I have to say that we also have concerns with leaving our house when we travel. It's always difficult to find someone to take care of things, especially in snow country!
No telling how long the water was running, but isn't it your worst nightmare?
It doesn't stop us from going but do wish there was an answer here.
There are automatic shutoff valves, flooding sensors/alarms, and (*gasp*) shutting off the water before you leave on vacation...

I like the old insurance commercial where the couple get in the car and drive. She exclaims "OMG, I left the iron plugged in. We have to go back!" He responds "Aaaaa, you always say that. We're gonna keep driving." She says "No, really, I'm sure I left it on. Turn the car around!" He reaches behind him, pulls an iron out of the back seat, and said "This time I'm smarter than you realize. Whaddya think this is?!?"

She says "That's the old iron!!"

I like the Kaderlis' approach to disposable housing in a busy neighborhood with security patrols.

Goonie said:
I read once that a career is just a job that lasted too long! :D

Actually, a career is an Ego that lasted too long.

Semi at 49 (1993). Completely at 53 (1998). Wish now I'd at least
have gone the "semi" route earlier. It was less than a year from
the birth of the idea to the departure.

JG

I FIRED @ 50. I even had a silver charm made for my charm bracelet with that phrase on one side and the date I bailed out on the other. Always somthing there to remind me. :D

I have to add. Its 6:45 AM and I'm sitting here posting this and it is snowing out. And all I have to do is look at it. Not be out in it brushing off the car or a-slippin and a-slidden to get in for a 7AM shift because some else called out. DH is snug in bed, I'm going back there too in a few and will again resurface around 10 AM....maybe. This is soooo goood. :D

59.5. I planned to work until 62 but was forced out. DH was going to 65 but was forced out at 62. Best thing that could have happened to us. We are in heaven!!!

Mr._johngalt said:
Semi at 49 (1993). Completely at 53 (1998). Wish now I'd at least
have gone the "semi" route earlier. It was less than a year from
the birth of the idea to the departure.

Galtian translation: got divorced in 1993, had to sell everything to meet the settlement terms. Got remarried in 1998 and was able to sponge off the wife until social security showed up.

Would like to retire about 55, but will probably be able to retire at about 50. The benefits to my son if I work the extra 5 years is that he would have a substantial tuition break if I keep working. I would vest in the pension too. But what the heck, it ain't all about the money is it? We'll have to make that decision when the time comes.

Well that makes sense. Forties is too early for most folks financially and sixties is...well...not early!

49 1/2 - probably should call it 50 even and join the crowd.

heh heh heh

The original plan was to pull the plug in two years at 37 (just shy of 38). However, I could be tempted into one additional year . . . we'll see how things play out over the next 730 days. :)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Well that makes sense. Forties is too early for most folks financially and sixties is...well...not early!
Well, maybe not AS early? :LOL: I'll be retiring at 62, but I still think that is early compared with 65 or my social security full retirement age of 66. I hope 62 is at least a little early, because this is the best retirement board I've seen and I wanna hang out here. :)

For a small fee, no problems.

Early is as early as you think it is. Considering many boomers may be working into their 70's, 65 might be considered early retirement in a decade or so.

You're so right. I really feel for anybody who wants to retire and has to work into their 70's. I agree that a lot of those my age may not have much choice about it.

I'm actually thrilled that I can retire at 62. At fifty I thought I'd have to work until the day I died. I had no savings (due to starting over after my divorce) and the task of building a nestegg from a negative asset situation seemed too huge to even tackle.

My brother (bless his heart!) gave me a verbal kick in the behind and I got to work on my retirement planning. Now at 58 I know that I can not only retire, but do it at 62 instead of 65/66. What a wonderful country this is! :)

41 now
calculating that 2 more years will do it 100%. could be now, but dont hate my job
;)
nice to get up every day and know i could probably do it...
my only hold back is affording medical insurance :mad:

We thought I would be retired at age 60 which I just hit. Cannot come close to replacing the corporate insurance carryover that I will have at 62. Also, Boss will let me have more time off during the last two years than the four weeks vacation, Nice. Gives us extra insurance in form of a larger next egg.

I'm 37 now; I think it will be around 55, but it depends on several variables:

1. salary performance
2. stock market performance
3. expenses performance
4. possible inheritance

I plan to retire when my expenses for the last six months times 50 equals my FIRE stash - basically a 4% withdrawal rate. Nowhere close right now mostly because of the NPV of future child support and college expenses.

2Cor521

I will be eligible to ER at any time after I turn 55 in April. I expect to make it out at least by 12/1 of this year... earlier if my manager lets me burn up 8 weeks plus of accumulated vacation time all in one lump leading up to 12/1... earlier still if the market behaves favorably.

Just over eight weeks to go now.....YEA!!!

I got a good laugh at w*rk today, as I was clarifying to the twits that as of today I don't HAVE to show up from now 'til my FIRE date. My flunky trainee/replacement started rattling that he ONLY has 23 YEARS to go 'til he gets to retire!!! :LOL:

He said, "What are you snickering about?? It's not THAT long!!" He's 44!!! He says he doesn't think w*rking to 67 is too long!!! Since he has NO savings...retirement or otherwise...he HAS to stay at the grind! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hmmmm.....it must REALLY suck to be him! :D

49 now - planning on 51 or 52 depending on work pressure and getting my kids through school. Spent 28 years in various hi-tech management positions and have been very fortunate so far - but I'm ready and counting the motnhs.

Back
Top Bottom