What color iphone XR for guys?

What color iPhone XR would you consider if you are a guy?

• Red

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Coral

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Black

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Blue

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need a new phone and want the iPhone XR. Price is $750 and available to pre-order on Oct 16th. So just for fun which would you choose if you are (or can imagine you are) a guy. These are the kinds of real world problems I struggle with in retirement. ;)

Here is a pic of the phones colors:
Capture.jpg

And here is a link to some color thoughts:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xr-iphone-xs-color-expert,review-5738.html

P.S. Once I bought a pink shirt with wild horses on it. Never really had the guts to wear it. :facepalm:

Last edited:
I picked black in the poll, but red would be okay too, or maybe even white. The rest are for ladies or wusses.:D

Although not an iPhone, my cell phone is black.

I chose black, but like 80% here*** I’d have a case so I’d never see the back anyway. All I care about is the color of the face/bezel that’s visible if any.

*** http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/poll-do-you-have-your-smartphone-in-a-case-93722.html

I'm sorely tempted to live dangerously and go caseless :). When I went to the Apple store, the glassy backs were very easy to handle and not slippery. Drop tests are quite favorable for the iPhone XS and XS Max but I don't know if that translates to the XR. I never really drop my phone and some of those drop tests were from 5 feet or more onto concrete.

One color factor if you go caseless is that black really shows the fingerprints (like a black car I guess).

I've never been to a nude beach or gone caseless.

I am disappointed that the colors of the bar chart in the poll results don't match the colors of the votes. :nonono:

Interesting that no guys liked blue.

I've kind of assumed that white was the ladies model but probably a mistake to think that. I have a fear of the white going yellowish over time but my iPad is still nice and white after some years.

Last edited:
I am not a guy but I think that you guys should buy whatever color you want. I mean let's be real, after everything you have endured and all the work you have done to get to where you are right now, is your manliness still in question at THIS age? :LOL: I seriously doubt it!

Just let your inner girl shine through if you feel like it, and don't worry about what narrow minded people think of you. It's not their bazillion dollars being paid for that iPhone anyway. Get what makes you happy. If someone smirks then give them your best Clint Eastwood "Go ahead, make my day!" scowl and watch them back off rapidly.

The really tough guys wear pink.

I didn't vote (not being a guy), but I like the yellow one.

Thanks for the comments so far!

W2R, I like your view. But would I have the courage to go pink? Luckily that isn't an option.

In that article I linked in the OP, a lady was quoted as having doubts if a date pulled out a red iPhone as she thought it was an aggressive color. Luckily I am not in the dating game.

I would get a phone that had at minimum a 1920 X 1080 screen resolution. The iPhone Xr has 1792 X 828.

My INTJ checklist
1) Pick a color that you can see (if you have color vision issues like me)
2) Pick a color that shows up if you leave it in on furniture or your vehicle. For instance, If you have black seats, don't get black. Otherwise you might not be able to find your phone if you leave it on a chair or car seat (or in the back of a taxi).
3) Pick a color that doesn't draw undo attention, so if you have to use it in an inappropriate place for some reason, strangers won't notice it as much.
For me, that means the Cobalt.

Are you going to have a case? Doesn’t matter what color the phone is, the case will cover it.

Are you going to have a case? Doesn’t matter what color the phone is, the case will cover it.

You could get a clear case such as: https://smile.amazon.com/Spigen-Liquid-Crystal-Designed-iPhone/dp/B07GHR12XH/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539208975&sr=8-5&keywords=clear+case+for+iphone+xr

One could even have a clear case and maybe for dicey foreign country trips a more neutral black case. At $13 this is a simple option.

For the ladies, they could get a white iphone and a pinkish clear case (see the 3rd choice on the Spigen link here).

Last edited:
I just purchased a 8 Plus phone and a CLEAR OTTERBOX case. I’m with W2 pick a color YOU like.

I am not a guy but I think that you guys should buy whatever color you want. I mean let's be real, after everything you have endured and all the work you have done to get to where you are right now, is your manliness still in question at THIS age? :LOL: I seriously doubt it!

Just let your inner girl shine through if you feel like it, and don't worry about what narrow minded people think of you. It's not their bazillion dollars being paid for that iPhone anyway. Get what makes you happy. If someone smirks then give them your best Clint Eastwood "Go ahead, make my day!" scowl and watch them back off rapidly.

The really tough guys wear pink.

I didn't vote (not being a guy), but I like the yellow one.

I would probably just get black, but I am currently wearing a pink polo shirt.

I would probably just get black, but I am currently wearing a pink polo shirt.

See?? See?? The really tough guys wear pink.

One of the most rough-n-tough guys I have ever known wore pink a lot, and nobody said a WORD about it.... :D

I would get a phone that had at minimum a 1920 X 1080 screen resolution. The iPhone Xr has 1792 X 828.

Apple has done a good job in downplaying just how much lower the resolution on the XR is compared to the XS (or even the X). While the XR screen is bigger (6.1 vs 5.8 inches), the XR resolution is only 1792 x 828 at 326 ppi vs 2436x1125 at 458 ppi. for the X and XS.

It may be fine, but I would definitely want to see the XR and XS side by side before buying the XR.

As for colors, I think I like the black, but I always go with a case anyway so it wouldn't really matter to me.

Apple has done a good job in downplaying just how much lower the resolution on the XR is compared to the XS (or even the X). While the XR screen is bigger (6.1 vs 5.8 inches), the XR resolution is only 1792 x 828 at 326 ppi vs 2436x1125 at 458 ppi. for the X and XS.

It may be fine, but I would definitely want to see the XR and XS side by side before buying the XR.

As for colors, I think I like the black, but I always go with a case anyway so it wouldn't really matter to me.

As I have read the 326 ppi is at the limit of most peoples visual acuity. I agree it would be nice to see the XR versus the XS Max (not the XS which is a good deal smaller). There is a long discussion with much disagreement here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-the-xr-display-going-to-look-like-garbage-when-displaying-text.2145060/

Our strategy now is to buy the XR for DW and then if it is good I'll buy one too. We both need new phones.

Last edited:

You’re falling right into Apple (and most merchants trap), a side by side comparison with a premium product. If you bought an XR (LCD) without looking at an XS (OLED), I’d be willing to bet you’d be perfectly happy with the image/resolution. As Lsbcal notes, on that small a screen, only an expert would know the difference without a side by side. I have a primitive iPhone 6 Plus, and I can’t imagine a better display even though I know they exist.

I’m thinking of getting the red one myself. However, I’ve read early reviews saying that the yellow XR looks incredible. I think I’d feel self-conscious with yellow though.

I always use a clear TPU silicone case. It’s clear so the back of the phone and colour is visible and provides enough grip (haven’t dropped an iPhone yet!).

When I finally voted and I picked Blue. I also bought the Blue iPhone XR. After 2 days using it I'm really impressed.

DW bought a Coral iPhone XR. She's delighted with it so far.

Before we both had old Google phones (Nexus models).

When I finally voted and I picked Blue. I also bought the Blue iPhone XR. After 2 days using it I'm really impressed.

DW bought a Coral iPhone XR. She's delighted with it so far.

Before we both had old Google phones (Nexus models).

Great. Have fun!

If it’s anything like DHs iPhoneX it takes great pictures.

Back
Top Bottom