What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Tropical Storm Isaias ripped through here, the trees have been dropping their leaves out of season. Normally, we don't get any leaf drop until late October and the bulk of it occurs in mid to late November. But the lawn was covered this morning, so I mowed with the bagger. I will till the bagged leaves into my garden beds in late October.

I also finally located and disposed of the dead mouse that I have been smelling for the last day and a half.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a roomier air fryer and today, I roasted fresh brussle sprouts in it. I didn't even preheat the fryer and the roasted brussle sprouts were ready in just 7 minutes and they were so good. A nice and easy snack. I'm happy. :dance:

Lately, I try to find joy in small things (as there isn't much going on in my life right now... :LOL:)

From the back yard this morning. So far it's only that one tree but the others will follow along shortly.

Your temp must be a bit higher than ours. It's only a matter of time... :flowers:

I learned how to attach the brush hog implement to my John Deere (man I see why farm accidents are often quite catastrophic) and had someone relocate this little fatty (timber rattler, venomous pit viper) from an area too close to the house.

Attachments

• 4A99F01F-A175-4837-A268-168B3D4A67C3.jpg
    4A99F01F-A175-4837-A268-168B3D4A67C3.jpg
    887 KB · Views: 57
I learned how to attach the brush hog implement to my John Deere (man I see why farm accidents are often quite catastrophic) and had someone relocate this little fatty (timber rattler, venomous pit viper) from an area too close to the house.
Nice pic.

My senior year of high school my buddy and I worked at a sawmill my DB and I built. During operation his pant leg became entangled in a homemade 90° drive that powered the edger from the main arbor. I saw a big "blue puff" in the air and my buddy stumbled. The puff was his jeans, they ripped off and exploded in the air. Luckily he was wearing tidy whities..... bruised but alive he never came back to work. We're still buddies.

Today we walked to our favorite little point overlooking one edge of SJNF. Only 70° and awesome outdoors. There are trails around the edges of the canyon and along the floor. We frequently sit up here and hear folks exploring the area on foot, bikes, horseback. Today we heard voices and couldn't find any people. Sat out there for an hour and still had no idea where the voices were coming from.

When we stood up there was a couple having a picnic on the floor just under the rock formation in the foreground of the photo.20200929_135017.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pic.

My senior year of high school my buddy and I worked at a sawmill my DB and I built. During operation his pant leg became entangled in a homemade 90° drive that powered the edger from the main arbor. I saw a big "blue puff" in the air and my buddy stumbled. The puff was his jeans, they ripped off and exploded in the air. Luckily he was wearing tidy whities..... bruised but alive he never came back to work. We're still buddies.

Today we walked to our favorite little point overlooking one edge of SJNF. Only 70° and awesome outdoors. There are trails around the edges of the canyon and along the floor. We frequently sit up here and hear folks exploring the area on foot, bikes, horseback. Today we heard voices and couldn't find any people. Sat out there for an hour and still had no idea where the voices were coming from.

When we stood up there was a couple having a picnic on the floor just under the rock formation in the foreground of the photo.View attachment 36358

Wow, what a place for a picnic!
Sounds like your friend got lucky. I am sure it's not something either of you will ever forget.

Nemo - what a nice gang! Happy belated birthday!

Went to the doc today for some tests. Possibly some energic Helicobacter pylori too many in my tummy. We'll see.

Got my flu shot this morning. Yesterday I went to see a new dentist, and I’m not yet sure I’ll return, or look for another one.

Today is the 10th anniversary of my last day of w*rk. :dance::dance::dance:

It's been a pretty gosh darn good 10 years. Both kids through college and (after each working a few years) finishing up grad school (JD and PhD).

We've had our fish pond for more than 8 years, and we were thrilled to find out this morning while I was doing the end-of-summer cleaning that our large family of frogs is expanding - I found two clusters of egg sacs with teeny weeny tadpoles inside.

We've had our RV almost 8 years and have spent more than 250 nights in it. Today I made reservations for our first beach trip in several years next week - let's hope the Gulf of Mexico weather behaves!

DH (who retired on disability a few years before me) is still relatively independent and generally healthy other than his MS, which is a pleasant and somewhat unexpected state of affairs.

We've had our adorable little dog for just over 5 years and he brings us joy every day.

I tried some consulting early on and decided that wasn't for me. So I've stayed busy with lots of volunteer activities (including, of course, helping out around here). I've found that my skills and talents from my 31+ year career have translated well to volunteer leadership roles. And I re-learned knitting for our church's prayer shawl ministry - have made close to 100 shawls.

So today I wrote a report for one volunteer gig, cleaned the fish pond, did a few errands, and put a bottle of champagne in the fridge to celebrate tonight! (Insert the glass of wine emoji that we don't have available here!)

Thanks to all the wonderful people here who convinced me that I was ready to ER - you pushed me over the edge and I am forever grateful. :flowers:

Congratulations MB :dance:. I'm going on 9 years end of next week :dance:.

I canceled 2 cruises and booked 2 in order to get cruises covered with FCC (future cruise credit) from 1 cruise canceled due to Covid-19. Right now my cruises are December '21 & April '22. Won't cost me much to put an April '21 Transatlantic cruise on hold ($100) and I'll get 850 onboard credit if I decide by 10/15/20. I'm almost convinced. Plus I have the fare tied up in gift cards so I'm not losing anything.

I'm used to traveling, this seems hard.

Then I voted.

I canceled 2 cruises and booked 2 in order to get cruises covered with FCC (future cruise credit) from 1 cruise canceled due to Covid-19. Right now my cruises are December '21 & April '22. Won't cost me much to put an April '21 Transatlantic cruise on hold ($100) and I'll get 850 onboard credit if I decide by 10/15/20. I'm almost convinced. Plus I have the fare tied up in gift cards so I'm not losing anything.

I'm used to traveling, this seems hard.

Then I voted.
We have almost 11K in FCC, but are reluctant to use it. On the West Coast, we only have 3 ways to go- South to Mexico, North to Washington, Oregon or Alaska, or West to Hawaii.
We have no interest in the Caribbean, so we are pretty much limited. However, we will be flying to Kauai next March. After that, who knows??

We have almost 11K in FCC, but are reluctant to use it. On the West Coast, we only have 3 ways to go- South to Mexico, North to Washington, Oregon or Alaska, or West to Hawaii.
We have no interest in the Caribbean, so we are pretty much limited. However, we will be flying to Kauai next March. After that, who knows??
What's your book by / use by date? Most of mine is bonus FCC so it can't be cashed in. And yes, I'm taking the kids to Mexico, cruising Pacific Northwest, and then flying off to Melbourne to go to Queensland. Those 3 equalled 1 cruise to Alaska

But I digress .... off to the dog park, hike, then coffee house for breakfast outside. My new Covid-19 routine

Haven't done it yet, but later this arvo I'm heading up for pre cataract surgery measurements. Ontario health system covers the basic Ultrasound test, but there's a charge for the more accurate IOLMaster.

I'll have both, then they can compare the findings.

(Likewise, at the time of the op, payable directly to the hospital, there's a charge for the 'premium' lens....I'll take that one too.)

Haven't done it yet, but later this arvo I'm heading up for pre cataract surgery measurements.

I have to admit that I did not know that "arvo" was slang for "afternoon." So, I had to google it. And, ironically, the number one hit was for ARVO, the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. So, thinking that must be what you meant, I was confused for a bit!

I have to admit that I did not know that "arvo" was slang for "afternoon." So, I had to google it. And, ironically, the number one hit was for ARVO, the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. So, thinking that must be what you meant, I was confused for a bit!

I'm confused all the time. :LOL:

'Arvo'...a little residual Oz vernacular......to paraphrase Jack & Diane: "Dialect goes on, long after living there is gone".

Decorated for Halloween with DGS. He wondered if he will be able to go Trick or Treating "with this virus" (he's 5). He was sure to tell me his costume has a mask!
Have no idea if we will have Trick or Treaters. Our city has a plan where you can register as a designated safer house ( mark 6 ft spaces with duct tape, have candy in a dish on a clean table with hand sanitizer, wear a mask, etc)
I have decided that I will be out on our deck, 6 ft or more from the table with the bowl of candy. I will definitely have a mask on. Have kids help themselves and have a bottle of hand sanitizer next to it. We have tons of kids in this neighborhood, so I have no idea what to expect.
Although, my plans will change if it is raining!

Decorated for Halloween with DGS. He wondered if he will be able to go Trick or Treating "with this virus" (he's 5). He was sure to tell me his costume has a mask!
Have no idea if we will have Trick or Treaters. Our city has a plan where you can register as a designated safer house ( mark 6 ft spaces with duct tape, have candy in a dish on a clean table with hand sanitizer, wear a mask, etc)
I have decided that I will be out on our deck, 6 ft or more from the table with the bowl of candy. I will definitely have a mask on. Have kids help themselves and have a bottle of hand sanitizer next to it. We have tons of kids in this neighborhood, so I have no idea what to expect.
Although, my plans will change if it is raining!

This sounds like a good plan. I’ll do the same (I hadn’t decided whether to buy candy yet but better to have it than not).

I hope the weather cooperates. There’s a better chance of decent temperatures here (NC) than in my former Midwestern fridge! I guess if it rains I’ll just shelter-in-haunted-place. :(

LOL! That was funny. I hope the kids can go this year, last year the weather was bad here so not much fun for them.

Today I went bow hunting in the AM. Came home watered the grass, took care of some red beets. Plan on going to ranch this evening and hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what's going to happen here with Halloween for the kids. Last year's was completely rained out, heavy downpour all afternoon and evening.

At the moment DW is at her sister's with one of the two grandnephews, age four, and they were going hunting for a pumpkin at a local farmer's pumpkin patch. He was to be told he could have any one he wanted but he had to carry it out of the pumpkin patch so that would limit size. DW conceded to me he might only be able to carry it about 10 or 20 feet or so but that would be limitation enough. That kid's gonna be spoiled rotten, I tell ya.:LOL:

Tried to resolve why xfinity app no longer works on my workshop firestick equipped tv, with no success.

Encountered a bow hunting deer hunter while hiking in the woods today. I’ll need to stay away from that area through hunting season.

Then came home and cleaned and waxed my table saw top.

Wifey and I drove to Stockton and ordered up some dim sum and ate it in the car. Then drove over to the Tuff Shed store and sat down with the designer and ordered up 3 custom sheds.

The home improvement moves forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom