What does it mean to 'Retire Early'?

This is somewhat along the lines of what constitutes retirement.

I had intended to work until age 70, but my health and family said NO! My full retirement age per SS is 67. I moved back my initial intended retirement age by 10 1/2 years. So, early for me: not so early for others.

I retired at 58 but my husband had a great job. Otherwise I would have worked until 60. Then he got laid off and was mostly unemployable at 53. We are okay but things would have been better if he could have kept working until 60.

Most people(this forum does not represent most people) can not retire before SS so retiring before being eligible for SS is retiring early IMO.

I think this covers it pretty good.
We're on an early retirement forum yet there's no consensus about what is "early" or "retired". I'm okay with that, time to go watch it snow.[emoji3]

My impression is early comes before your FRA and retired is not exchanging work for a paycheck.

Last time social security says I had any taxed social security income was in 1991 and I was 41.Seems early. But this summer gal and I restored something like 9 apartments and a rental house for rental and sale. But we've been snow birds 6 months out of the year 1100 miles from the rentals. But we do bills and book work most days year round and Friday while at dinner with friends got a call that a tenant I've known for years passed away in his apartment, so that will present some "challenges". Been financially secure quite a while.

Retired early? I don't even know if I've been working or not!

Most people(this forum does not represent most people) can not retire before SS so retiring before being eligible for SS is retiring early IMO.

With Tricare and a modest military pension, we jettisoned when I turned 60. Had to raid the IRA for a couple of years, but that worked as planned. I've used FIre a few times in lieu of FIRE, as 60 is not all that early.

Back
Top Bottom