What does your annual physical include?

CHEST X RAYS SHOULD BE REQUIRED ON ANY PHYSICAL. When lung cancer is found in many patients, it's often Stage IV and too late for treatment. I agree about the patient coming in early for bloodwork too.

When I first started going to my primary doc, around 25 years ago, he routinely gave me a chest X-ray at each annual physical. I thought it was unusual, but figured he knew best.

After about five years, he quit doing it and I asked him why. The answer was amazing.

"The damn thing would have cost too much to fix or replace, so I just threw it out. Too bad; it was a really nice profit center."

Just one more reason why he's no longer my doc.

My physicals were typical of those described above, with EKG added. My doc always ordered blood tests after seeing me, with a nurse calling after a few days to tell me everything looked OK.

On my own $ I test vitamin D every 6 months and ferritin every year or so. I'm no longer seeing a doctor, so I plan to order the usual blood tests (CMP, CBC, lipids, etc.) every year or so.

Same as OP, only blood work after visit. I no longer get a PSA test or digital exam, I guess, due to new recommendations. :confused:
My last visit was for Medicare initial wellness exam and they did an EKG and asked me a bunch of memory test questions which I flunked. My short term memory has always sucked.

Blood work after that way they can check any concerns I bring up as a concern if we need an addition. Usually not but sometimes it happens.

My annual physical from my GP doctor seems fairly thorough:
- Nurse does temperature, pulse, blood pressure check
- He reviews my prescriptions and we discuss to see if he feels any changes are needed.
- Asks me general health questions
- Asks me about my sex life :eek: to determine if any detailed issues need to be addressed
- I strip topless, he listens to my heart and lungs, has me take deep breaths.
- Check my eyes, ears, neck, hands, strength/resistance, goes over my skin for anything unusual
- I strip to my undershorts and lie down, he checks my chest, stomach, abdomen, legs, leg reflexes, feet, skin for anything unusual
- I strip off my undershorts, he checks "Emerson, Lake, and Palmer" :eek: :eek: for anything unusual
- I stand up, he does the DRE :eek: :eek: :eek:
- End of exam, he will note if I am due for any of the non-annual procedures (e.g. colonoscopy) so I'll know to schedule them.
- Blood and urine tests are taken (I usually schedule the exam early in the morning to make it easier to fast for them) - Results are posted in my online account, if anything is abnormal they contact me right away for followup.

Since my heart surgery 12 years ago, my annual cardio exam is done by my cardiologist (my doctor referred me to him so he can get the info when he needs it); that involves both an echo cardiogram and an EKG. Stress test only came into play before and after my surgery, and one other time to verify things after a potential heart attack scare.

For some reason my doctor has the blood drawn during the visit, then sends me a note later mentioning any interesting results.

Having it done before hand seems to make more sense. I don't know if there is a reason for the way he does it or if it's as simple as they get to charge for it if they do the work.

My doctor used to have patients come in a week before the physical for blood draws so that the results could be discussed with the patient; however, this caused issues with many insurance companies that couldn't figure out the billing since the draws occurred before the physicals. In frustration, he gave up. Draws are now taken at the physical with the results sent later.

Back
Top Bottom