What Happened to Auto Coolants?

I understand that if you start off using dino oil in your car, it may not be wise to switch to synthetic, as you may be inviting your seals to leak. At least that was the conventional wisdom a few years ago.

I don't know, either.

I understand that if you start off using dino oil in your car, it may not be wise to switch to synthetic, as you may be inviting your seals to leak. At least that was the conventional wisdom a few years ago.

This is true! I put some synthetic in the tranny of my 73 and it came out all over the floor. Lucas and others do make a chemical that will enlarge the seals to prevent this, I don't know if it works.

Last edited:
I suspect that's all the excuse I'll need for our 2005 & 2006 models! Does the dealer specify a number of months in addition to mileage? It takes us over a year to put on 5K miles.
Yes, it's 10K or 12 months, so it wouldn't make any difference to you. I happen to drive almost exactly 10K/year.
Just found this nifty maintenance chart over at PriusChat:
2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (US) | PriusChat

I don't know if there's a TPMS for the spare tire, and I've seen too many people burn themselves on that, so I'm careful about checking it. .
Ah, good point, I should be checking my spare at least every couple of months. Thanks for the reminder.

Ah, good point, I should be checking my spare at least every couple of months. Thanks for the reminder.
Give yourself some extra time. I don't know about your model, but in our 2005 & 2006 the spare tire is stored under the gear basket in the back-- tire stem down. It's a colossal PITA to get at it, release it, turn it over, top it off, and then reassemble the storage.

I doubt it's true today, no 'low end' car maker delivers a car with synthetic, and a few K miles make no differebce.
I don't know, either.
Me Too.
This is true! I put some synthetic in the tranny of my 73 and it came out all over the floor. Lucas and others do make a chemical that will enlarge the seals to prevent this, I don't know if it works.
Your 73 might have seals that are different than today's models. I run synthetic in my post 2000 cars with out problems. In my 1960's cars I have trouble finding oil containing ZDDP. It doesn't stop leaks but it does stop the engine from self-destructing.

I doubt it's true today, no 'low end' car maker delivers a car with synthetic, and a few K miles make no differebce.

Me Too.

Your 73 might have seals that are different than today's models. I run synthetic in my post 2000 cars with out problems. In my 1960's cars I have trouble finding oil containing ZDDP. It doesn't stop leaks but it does stop the engine from self-destructing.

Kumquat, I don't think you need to go back to pre-2000 era cars for this to occur, but your point about switching to synthetic after low miles on dino is probably OK.

I use Chevron Delo LE CJ 15W/40 Diesel Oil in my Chevelle. This has ZDDP in it. I also use some EOS from a GM dealer. I've been using this since the 60's.
Valvoline also offers ZDDP in a stand alone container.

In my 2010 Camry it calls for 0 W/20 synthetic. I use Mobil 1 in the Camry.

In DW's MB I also use Mobil 1 synthetic.

Nords,
Are you sure? Where I am, one of the stores has an air line inside one of the service bays but easily accessible from outside. It's one of those modern guys where you set psi and it delivers, then beeps. There may be an offset between your gauge and theirs that you may have to account for depending on whose you trust, but it's been a lifesaver since no more free air anymore.
Hey, thanks again for asking this question, Kaneohe. I asked the Costco mechanic yesterday and he said the air hose is free for anyone with a Costco card, whether or not we actually happened to buy tires there.

Hey, thanks again for asking this question, Kaneohe. I asked the Costco mechanic yesterday and he said the air hose is free for anyone with a Costco card, whether or not we actually happened to buy tires there.

When I bought Costco tires, they came with the green valve cap, which I assume means nitrogen filled. Does the Costco air hose dispense nitrogen or do they keep that in a secret location?

Does the Costco air hose dispense nitrogen or do they keep that in a secret location?
I think Costco stopped dispensing nitrogen when they became a laughingstock among all the real garage mechanics...

Well, technically I guess they still do dispense nitrogen in their air hose. 77% of the time, anyway.

OK, I guess I'll have to dish out the 77% stuff from the compressor in my garage.

travelover said:
When I bought Costco tires, they came with the green valve cap, which I assume means nitrogen filled. Does the Costco air hose dispense nitrogen or do they keep that in a secret location?

It's automotive grade 80% nitrogen.

Nitrogen filled, (heh), you're kidding, right.;)

Thought I was foolin' ya, didn't ya?

Additionally, we inflate your tires with nitrogen, not compressed air. Nitrogen retains tire pressure better over time than compressed air, which can positively impact the life of your tires, as well as the fuel economy of your vehicle.

Costco.com - Shop for Tires

Thought I was foolin' ya, didn't ya?
No, I've seen the signs for that at our local Costco.

I also saw lots of gearheads and chemistry geeks in the parking lot laughing and pointing and taking photos to post on their blogs.

Maybe an N2-filled tire makes a difference at the Indy 500 or on a high-performance aircraft. I'm skeptical. But for us mortal drivers, the only difference it makes is enabling us to pay a stupid tax on enhancing Costco's bottom line.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why they don't have those signs out anymore.

.................Come to think of it, maybe that's why they don't have those signs out anymore.

Well they still seem to be doing it, or at least they are using up their supply of green valve stem caps.

I agree that it is a gimmick.

Glad that was useful........the thing I like best (besides being free) is that you aren't running against a clock. When all the other stations around here went to a timed 75cents machine, I always felt stressed like being on a speeded-up assembly line. Even though the time was usually enough to do all 4 tires, I always felt under pressure. Now maybe I'll survive to a ripe old age :)

Nitrogen is the old stuff, I switched over to Helium and my car seems to float over the bumps now.

Nitrogen is the old stuff, I switched over to Helium and my car seems to float over the bumps now.

Yea, but isn't it a pain having to tether it when you park?

That would be a pretty costly way to fill your tires given the helium market these days.

That would be a pretty costly way to fill your tires given the helium market these days.

Well, if people are buying Nitrogen they'll buy Helium. In the car business there is an old saying "there's an a$$ for every seat":cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom