What happens when bond matures?

MissMolly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a bond purchased years ago. Here is what it says on Vanguard for the description:

XXXXX ELEC LT & PWR REV SER B AMBAC B/E DEF INT @14.694 6.95% 0% 01/01/20 12/06/91

It's obviously a utility company, name redacted. So I'm guessing this means it matures in January, right? So what happens then? Is it just automatically redeemed and instead of a bond I have cash in the account, or do I have to take some sort of action?

Thanks

You’ll get the par value plus the last interest payment deposited into the brokerage where it’s held.

And early next year you might get a 1099 showing, say, $5000 "income" from sale of a bond. If you had paid the same amount ($5000) for that bond, you have no capital gain, but still must report the sale on your tax return along with the $5000 purchase price and $0 cap gain.

Cap gains? I think they said it was a tax exempt municipal bond. It's been a long, long time ago, but I'm pretty sure. Would that mean I don't have to pay any kind of taxes?

Cap gains? I think they said it was a tax exempt municipal bond. It's been a long, long time ago, but I'm pretty sure. Would that mean I don't have to pay any kind of taxes?

Did you buy it at release or on the secondary market? Also it just occurred to me, is this a zero coupon or were you receiving interest payments regularly?

Last edited:
@COcheesehead - my computer won't let me quote, so I'll answer separately. I have no idea about at release/secondary market.

Yes, it was a zero coupon bond.

IIRC, muni bond cag gains are often tax-exempt within the state issued, but subject to federal income tax, as well as taxable if you are in a different state. If you prep your own income tax return you'll need to read up on the rules for your state.

@COcheesehead - my computer won't let me quote, so I'll answer separately. I have no idea about at release/secondary market.

Yes, it was a zero coupon bond.

That’s little different animal. You buy it at a discount and then you get full par value at maturity. No interest payments.

Back
Top Bottom