What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Holt's Why Does the World Exist: An Existential Detective Story, is an entertaining and irreverent tour through current and historical thinking about the nature of being. If you like pondering the deep question of why is there something rather than nothing from the perspectives of priests and philosophers, quantum physicists and great novelists, you will enjoy this book. It is fun and serious at the same time. Holt even posits his own ontological proof that an infinite, mediocre world must exist, an epiphany he gets after visiting Derek Parfit, a great thinker ensconced in All Souls College, Oxford. Holt's "proof" echoes a statistical thought I had early in the book when I read of several deep thinkers' conclusion that by all lights there should be nothingness since that is the simplest solution. My immediate thought was, but there is only one possible version of nothing and an infinite variety of possible substantive universes so isn't it infinitely more likely that one of those universes would exist rather than nothing? The proof goes into a bit more detail but you will have to read it for yourself. And after it all I still wonder why...:)

I read 'the 4- hour work week' by Tim Ferris. It has some good principles but I've never had any luck with making money online, let alone shedloads of it like he apparently does!

I just read A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin who also wrote Rosemary's Baby. It's from the 1950's and I liked it. It's about a sociopath preying on young wealthy women. There were lots of interesting twists and turns.

11/22/63

I'm currently the middle of this book by Stephen King. Love it so far. It occurred to me this book would appeal to lots of folks around here because of the fascinating descriptions of America in the 50s and 60s.

Purron said:
I'm currently the middle of this book by Stephen King. Love it so far. It occurred to me this book would appeal to lots of folks around here because of the fascinating descriptions of America in the 50s and 60s.

I enjoyed that one too. King is still a great storyteller.

I just finished Now Face to Face by Karleen Koen. It is a long historical novel (just the type I love) but it had an interesting aspect for those in the stock market. It covered the time during the South Sea Bubble that occurred in England during the early 1700s. Reminded me alot of the .com bubble and govt. inspired bubble that we've got going on now. History just repeats itself.
South Sea Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The price of the stock went up over the course of a single year from about one hundred pounds a share to almost one thousand pounds per share. Its success caused a country-wide frenzy as all types of people—from peasants to lords—developed a feverish interest in investing; in South Seas primarily, but in stocks generally.

The book is based partially in Virginia and partially in England, early eighteenth century. It is a good story for those who like historical novels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Am I missing something? Like the title.

Am I missing something? Like the title.
It was in the title line of my original message so wasn't repeated when I was quoted. The book is titled: 11/22/63

Just finished up "Skydog-The story of Duane Allman"

Great read, with tons of information on him and the band. Loved it.

Eurabia, by Bat Ye'or. I should keep this secret, as it may be considered political. Of course I also had pulled pork for lunch, could that be a political statement?

Ha

Stephen King lives in Casey Key which is close to Sarasota so he signed that book at our local Barnes & Noble. He occasionally does local lectures . Great story teller & nice guy !

The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins

Tracing the evolutionary history of the human race all the way back to the first life forms to emerge on this planet. Some of the science was a bit over my head (way over actually) but it was still very readable and interesting.

The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins

Tracing the evolutionary history of the human race all the way back to the first life forms to emerge on this planet. Some of the science was a bit over my head (way over actually) but it was still very readable and interesting.
Now I'm torn about where to start. My knowledge and background in this stuff is pretty shallow. Previously I was planning on tackling this book: Deep Ancestry: Inside The Genographic Project: Spencer Wells: 9781426201189: Amazon.com: Books , and a brief description:
In this concise and well-written work, Wells (The Journey of Man) provides an accessible introduction to genetic anthropology, the study of human history using genetic evidence. Wells is the director of the Genographic Project, which collects DNA samples from a wide array of world populations to better understand human history over the last 200,000 years. Wells does a fantastic job distilling both genetics and genetic anthropology into straightforward topics, presenting sophisticated material accessibly without oversimplification. He gives the reader the basic concepts (Y chromosomes, mtDNA, haplogroups, genetic markers) and then proceeds to step through genographic research from its 19th-century origins to the present day. In so doing, he takes the reader back to the 170,000-year-old female genetic ancestor of every person alive today: the so-called African Eve. It is a remarkable journey that will appeal to readers of all backgrounds interested in exploring the science and research behind human evolution, although those with more experience in the sciences may find some of the material elementary.
Here is what is said about Ancestor's Tale:
The diversity of the earth's plant and animal life is amazing—especially when one considers the near certainty that all living things can trace their lineage back to a single ancestor—a bacterium—that lived more than three billion years ago. Taking his cue from Chaucer, noted Oxford biologist Dawkins (The Selfish Gene, etc.) works his way narratively backward through time. As the path reaches points where humanity's ancestors converge with those of other species—primates, mammals, amphibians and so on—various creatures have tales that carry an evolutionary lesson. The peacock, for example, offers a familiar opportunity to discuss sexual selection, which is soon freshly applied to the question of why humans started walking upright. These passages maintain an erudite yet conversational voice whether discussing the genetic similarities between hippos and whales (a fact "so shocking that I am still reluctant to believe it") or the existence of prehistoric rhino-sized rodents. The book's accessibility is crucial to its success, helping to convince readers that, given a time span of millions of years, unlikely events, like animals passing from one continent to another, become practically inevitable. This clever approach to our extended family tree should prove a natural hit with science readers.
Maybe The Ancestor's Tale would be a better one to start with? Opinions?

Sorry, but I haven't read Spencer Wells so I can't offer a view on which is "better".

That said, it sounds as though Wells is focused on the last 200,000 years while Dawkins goes back much earlier to the very beginnings of life on earth?

I just read Unbroken by Hillenbrand. It's very good. It's a story about a WWII hero and written by the woman who wrote Seabiscuit. I think anyone who likes a good story would like it. I don't want to give much away of the story.
I finally made my way down the 'need to read' list to "Unbroken". The best read I've had in quite a while. Thanks for the recommendation.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I just finished Look Again by Lisa Scottoline - really enjoyed it and really made you think! My two favorite books of the summer are:
1) The Art of Racing in the Rain -- Garth Stein
2) I am The Messenger - Markus Zusak

Well, a couple of years later I will put in another vote for The Art of Racing in the Rain. Someone in my yoga class recommended it recently and I picked it up from the library. A really good read - hard to put down.

I have another Donna Leon mystery to read that I picked up at the same time.

It seems that my book reading in retirement goes in spurts. I had expected to read a lot more but two years in I find that I don't have nearly as much time for it as I thought I would.

Kinda on a Stephen King roll since reading 11/22/63 which I LOVED. Plus, hey, it's October so King just feels right. Particularly for someone like me who likes the spooky stuff.

Decided to finally read The Shining. Now I understand why King wasn't too thrilled with Kubrik's interpretation. The book is very different from the movie.

There was a remake of The Shining. If I recall correctly, this time, King was more involved in the filming, and was said to be happier.

I liked Stanley Kubrick's first movie better, but that was probably because I never read the book.

I just read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It is jam-packed with nostalgia for someone who was growing up in the 1980's, but I also found the story engaging.

I recommend "The Price of Inequality" by Nobel-prize winning economist, Joseph Stiglitz. It's about the polarization of wealth in the US, how it happened and what the political, social and economic effects are. Everyone has noticed the growing wealth gap, but Stiglitz thinks about the phenomenon in a careful and thorough manner. Very readable.

Last edited:
I recommend "The Price of Inequality" by Nobel-prize winning economist, Joseph Stiglitz. It's about the polarization of wealth in the US, how it happened and what the political, social and economic effects are. Everyone has noticed the growing wealth gap, but Stiglitz thinks about the phenomenon in a careful and thorough manner. Very readable.

I forget if it was C-Span or PBS, but I saw Stiglitz interviewed about his book last week. Looks like one I have to add to my reading list, too.

I'm just starting to read Andersonville by MacKinley Kantor. So far, it's very well written and promises to be a good read.

Ballerina: sex, scandal and suffering behind the symbol of perfection. Deirdre Kelly, 2012.

I couldn't put this down. As the proverbial klutz, I never understood the attraction of ballet. Then I moved to Winnipeg and was privileged to attend over a decade of thrilling performances by the great Evelyn Hart, who was, in her time, considered one of the world's best Giselle interpreters. But she was, and is, anorexic, and following retirement at 50, she is almost destitute and "a shadow of her former self". So sad for a great artiste who dedicated her life to her art! The story of ballet has many dark chapters and is full of exploitation. If I had a daughter, I don't think I would want her involved. Luckily things are changing, and dancers are leading more normal lives. It's all here.

Last edited:
Just finished reading "Quiet" by Susan Cain. Helps to explain, through studies and research that has taken place, why some of us introverts and others extroverts. From the title one would guess correctly that much of the discussion is about introverts. Very good read, especially for those who are introverted or if you have a child or significant other who is introverted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom