What Is An Extended Vacation Like?

I guess I need to look into other options for accommodations for a longer stay too. That’s another reason we haven’t taken longer vacations as it gets really expensive at most hotels/B&Bs we’ve stayed at. Admittedly way more than normal for us (usually $150-300/night), but our stay last week was $600/night with fees & taxes (competitive where we were) - I can’t imagine that for a month. Airfare was $820 for two, so travel wasn’t the big expense…

When we stayed in Barcelona for 10 nights , the hotel was outside the tourist area, it cost 70 Euro ($100) per night.
I picked it as it was handy to stuff , and good ratings (but small rooms) and bus stop on the corner for around 7 buses, and subway 2 blocks away.

When going to Europe we never fly in and home from the same city.
That’s what we do. Open jaw works great! Not more expensive.

While in Europe we use train or fly between different countries separate from our cross-Atlantic flights.

During my 37 year career, I never took more than a one week vacation at a time. Now that DW and I are retired, I like to take much longer vacations/trips. We’ve done several two month trips in our Class A motorhome. I could go a bit longer, but that’s about as long as DW wants to be away from the grandbabies. Pre-Covid, we spent a month at a beachfront condo in San Pedro, Belize. It was a long enough trip that it felt like we were actually living there as opposed to a “vacation”. I’m ready to do that again as soon as things settle down a bit with pandemic travel restrictions.

Many times on vacation we do the same things we do at home....drink coffee, lay around, swim, plan where or what to eat, eat. Shop. We will do some sightseeing, but we do relax a lot. The exception is when we go with the grandkids, then it is non-stop action.

Last spring we spent 5 weeks in Utah over 4 locations - Moab, Hanksville, SLC, and Kanab. It lets us do an area in depth for photography, sometimes waiting for better light or sky conditions in a spot. It also lets us take a day or half day off without feeling like we are going to miss something. For these longer trips we bring the dog with us. You can find local dog sitting when needed in most places.

Attachments

• DSC_0378-9fb.jpg
    DSC_0378-9fb.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_2966fb.jpg
    DSC_2966fb.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 26
A side note to long travel.
I typically play Pickleball 6x weekly and would have a tough time not playing for 2 months.
No I can't really try to pick a vacation spot to make sure it has Pickleball, plus be playing it all morning while on vacation.

Wonder how others deal with this concept when obsessed with a certain sports/workout routine.

One of my fondest childhood memories was the summer of '82, between 6th and 7th grade. My Mom had to go to some government workshop in Texas. Sheppard Air Force Base or something like that? Her workshop was 6 weeks. My grandparents decided to build a camping trip around that. We left home in Maryland, about two weeks before, and just sort of took our time getting out to Texas, stopping wherever we wanted. For the next 8 weeks, by and large, our home was a 1976 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab pickup with a slide-in 10-foot truck camper. First trip was to the tiny town of Holly Brook, VA, in Southern Virginia. My uncle was living down there at the time, playing a hillbilly, and we dropped the dog off for him to take care of.

I kept a daily journal of everywhere we went, but I haven't seen it in ages. Hopefully it's packed away somewhere, but unfortunately, it may have been tossed at some point. Anyway, from my memory, I do recall the 1982 World's Fair in Tennessee, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky, and some place in Arkansas where you could mine for diamonds. Or rather, slough for them. I also had a fascination with high points, as in the highest mountain in a given state, so I remember them taking me there, in Arkansas. I forget the name of the mountain, and I'm too lazy to google it right now. But, we pretty much just took our time, going to wherever the whim-of-the-moment took us, as long as it was more or less on the way to drop Mom off in Texas.

After that, we went on out to see Grandmom's brother and sister-in-law in Long Beach CA. But, again, we took our time and stopped off wherever we felt like. My main memories of that were Sandia Peak, which had an aerial tram, and for some reason I remember a Route 89-A. I just remember Grandmom mapping out a route somewhere, having Granddad take it, and then Granddad griping about how narrow the road was...and Grandmom having a fit about how treacherous it was, with the steep mountain drop offs and no guardrail. I know we hit the Grand Canyon at some point, either going out or coming back, but it was so crowded we didn't stay long. When we got to Long Beach, I think we stayed there about a week or ten days. The only thing I remembered about that was going to Knott's Berry Farm, and then a few years later when I saw "National Lampoon's Vacation", I had a flashback...Imogene Coca was a dead ringer for my Great Aunt Audrey!

After we left Long Beach, we went to Mount Whitney, and then Death Valley. I also remember Lake Meade, Las Vegas, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Canyon de Chelly. the Four Corners, and the Great Sand Dunes. I think we saw something called "Checkerboard Mesa" as well, but not positive. I do remember spending a really long time at Zion Canyon. We really fell in love with that place. It was relaxing, and there was plenty to do. I remember doing a lot of innertubing down one spot on the Virgin River, near the campground.

Eventually, we got back to Texas, on a Friday afternoon, got Mom, and hit the road. By Saturday afternoon, we were swinging back to get the dog. Unfortunately, my uncle had chained the dog to a pine tree, and the tree got struck by lightning. One of his friends had been sitting out on the front porch, working on a chainsaw when it happened, and he got shocked, too. Luckily the dog survived, and lived to be around 14 (finally passed away in early 1995) but was scared witless of thunderstorms for the rest of his life.

Part of the magic of that trip was being able to just take off and go, at our own pace, and do what we wanted to do. It just seemed so carefree. I wonder if you could even duplicate something like that nowadays though. It seemed like we always found a campground whenever we wanted one, and I think all the National Parks tended to have them. But I suspect these days, a lot of those little mom and pop campgrounds have closed down, and you probably have to make reservations and plan your trip well in advance.

Another example, of slow-paced vacationing...

I've been going to Aruba fairly regularly now since 2011, with some friends, although the last time was 2019. Didn't go last year, for obvious reasons, and this year I want to take a pass too, as prices have really shot up.

Anyway, most times we would just be there for a week. The first two times we tried to pack in everything we could. There were these excursions you could book through the resort, such as off road tours of the "wild" side of the island, snorkeling, and so on. And we'd also spend a lot of time out on the beach. But I swear, it was like you blinked and it was over.

There were two times we stayed for two weeks...2014 and 2016. Those times were AWESOME! We just took things a lot more slow paced, and went back to some of those places they took us on the back side of the island on the excursions, but just explored them, at our own pace.

I hadn't actually had a two week vacation since 1995, when I went on my honeymoon. We drove cross-country from Maryland to see her Dad in Washington State. But in many ways, that was more of a Highway to Hell than a honeymoon, and something I try not to think about. So I was honestly a bit worried about how I'd react to a two week vacation in Aruba. When we only went for a week, I found myself missing it. But I was worried that after two weeks, one of two things would happen. Either I'd fall in love with it and never want to leave. Or the reality that I'm stuck on an island that's only about 25 miles long and maybe 4-5 wide at its thickest would finally sink in, and I'd feel trapped. And really start hating my friends I was with.

But instead, a third thing happened. During the second week, it just started feeling "normal", if that made sense. I wasn't in any hurry to rush home, but instead of still feeling like I was on a magical vacation, it just started feeling like normal, everyday life. Like something I could get used to. And by the time we went home, I felt like it was just the right amount of time. I wasn't sad that the vacation was over, but I wasn't glad that it was over, either.

Sometimes I've wondered what it would be like to try three weeks out there, but that might be pushing my luck a bit. Plus, I don't think I know anybody who could afford to be out of work for that long. And even if I decided to splurge for them, they might not be able to get that much time off.

Attachments

• CIMG3880.jpg
    CIMG3880.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 25
  • CIMG3882.jpg
    CIMG3882.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 25
Cool!! Thanks for the pics! I had forgotten that Checkerboard Mesa was actually in Zion National Park...dunno why I thought it was someplace different.

Just for kicks, I google street-mapped the campground at the entrance to Zion, and had one helluva major flashback! Just swap out those modern RVs for some old Tonka-Toy looking Winnebagos, lots of pop-up tent trailers, pickup truck campers, maybe a Dodge Majal or one of those futuristic-looking GMC motorhomes here and there, and I swear it could be 1982 again!

I've actually been wanting to go back to Zion, for awhile now. I think it was my favorite part of that trip we took.

Many times on vacation we do the same things we do at home....drink coffee, lay around, swim, plan where or what to eat, eat. Shop. We will do some sightseeing, but we do relax a lot. The exception is when we go with the grandkids, then it is non-stop action.
At least until now, I’d feel guilty about paying for travel & accommodations to “do the same things we do at home....drink coffee, lay around, swim, plan where or what to eat, eat. Shop. We will do some sightseeing, but we do relax a lot.” I’ll have to wrap my head around this concept.

We've done a bunch of trips in the 3-4 week range, longest 6 weeks. Mostly road trips, although in Europe/UK trains.

What has worked for us:
We know our options before we go. Doesn't matter if we actually use any of the options, but we don't spend travel time trying to figure things out.

Minimum 2-3 nights anywhere. There are exceptions but packing/driving/unpacking gets old real quick, not to mention eats up a lot of time.

Accommodations with kitchens are good.

The unexpected encounters are what make travel special.

Things will go wrong. Some of our memorable positive experiences happened only because of mistakes/problems.

We like a mix, cities, towns, countryside. We like walking, so much of the time in cities is spent wandering (and if you can pick a theme, aka our pastry wander in Vienna, all the better).

We always plan on dayhikes, never been anywhere where there they don't exist. Including NYC, hopefully the image is displayed!
(well, its not displayed from the public album I created. no idea why not. regrets)

27284-albums282.html

Find out what works for you, and have fun!

Last edited:
At least until now, I’d feel guilty about paying for travel & accommodations to “do the same things we do at home....drink coffee, lay around, swim, plan where or what to eat, eat. Shop. We will do some sightseeing, but we do relax a lot.” I’ll have to wrap my head around this concept.

That was how the Kona mornings always started with aunt and uncle. We did exploring and traditional vacation-y stuff in the afternoons, but mornings were mostly breakfast and coffee and read the paper and relax. We only hit the ground running on mornings with a specific purpose and probably less than 50% of the time.
Looking back on it, that was valuable winding down time from the work life.

I don't think I've ever taken a vacation more than 2 weeks long.
Mostly a week or less. Usually it's go go go.
Although sometimes go means go sit and watch the surf roll in. Mesmerizing.

Forget extended. I'm thinking to go on permanent vacation would be good.

Once you retire, you actually get 52 weeks of vacation each year, but remember:

1. If you don't use it, you lose it

2. Every January 1, you get another 52 weeks vacation

DW and I spent 30 days relaxing in our favorite place in the world - on a very remote world heritage island near Australia - and by the fourth week, the locals were getting curious about us ('you're still here') and we got approached with invitations to hang with them and socialize. It was awesome and completely changed the rest of our visit and visits to come. It was our 6th trip there - we love the place - but the first for such an extended time, thanks to ER. Now, the locals invite us on their tour boats to ride along for free and hang out, and we keep in touch with our lovely new friends in-between trips. I wish we could go back, but they're quarantined for the time being.

Lord Howe Island: https://youtu.be/N_GdRzTmqcw

We decided in 07 to take a "vaca" in SoCal by moving there and being paid to do it. Ended up being there 4 years getting into the double comma club. It was so easy to explore, slowly many parts of the state.

2011, we moved to Playa del Carmen for 8 months (testing the waters) and we enjoyed it, slowly, and traveled much of the Yucatan in the process.

Returned to LA in 2012 & realized that we weren't done with Playa and, a year later, returned there for 2 more years.

Our idea of slow-travel includes moving to a new place sometimes. Road trips are another way to slow down. Enjoy the rides.

In 1999 we travelled throughout Europe for 20 days or so. There was a loose plan, and we managed to hit up Frankfurt, Paris, Lyon, Ghent, and Basel. Lots of fun spent with families we knew in each location.

In 2014 we traveled and camped in Australia and New Zealand. Our oldest booked everything and we had extreme fun driving and flying many miles over 20 days. Three adults sleeping in small vans, that was an experience!

One more extended trip to go, to Germany in a week or so. It looks like 6-8 cities/locations in 20 days. Because of the global situation we'll just be travelling by rented auto and trains (no camping). Again, all booked and orchestrated by the oldest.

Extended can be difficult for many reasons. You could hit bad weather anywhere, for example. But if you have flexibilty (not on a tour, e.g.) then you can adjust. Being friendly with local families is a real boost.

If you don’t spend it, someone else will.

Even seemingly basic things like planning what to eat and eating are usually a completely different experience in a foreign country. For us just walking around exploring is a great deal of fun, lots of serendipitous experiences. Totally new environment to relax, people watch, etc.

Last edited:
We've been dogless for six years until a month ago. We couldn't take it any longer and covid was a factor.

We've been fostering a Maltese that was rescued from a hoarder situation with the intent to adopt her. She is eight years old and weighs 7 - 8 pounds. She is a love.

She goes in for surgery this morning, she has to have all her teeth extracted and a mast cell tumor removed from her hind leg. The rescue agencies is paying for most of this, once it is done they will let us adopt.

We checked with the condo owners in Palm Springs to make sure they will let us rent from them with the dog. We also have two cats so we have to hire a pet sitter anyways. Once we can again travel overseas we will leave her at home with the pet sitter and it shouldn't cost any more money than we typically pay.

She sounds like a sweetie! I live in Palm Springs and it’s very dog-friendly.

I'd say 3 weeks is my limit. I've gone that long on a group tour to India and Nepal- may as well stay awhile since it's a long trip and it takes awhile to get over the jet lag. My trip to E. Europe a year from now will also be about that length. After awhile on the India trip I started counting the days till I got home. I loved the trip, loved everything we did, but really like my nice, boring routines at home and my beautiful house.

OTOH, I do take a lot of short trips, mostly to visit family. I've taken 17 trips in the last 12 months and the longest, my Alaskan cruise, was 10 days.

If you don’t spend it, someone else will.

Even seemingly basic things like planning what to eat and eating are usually a completely different experience in a foreign country. For us just walking around exploring is a great deal of fun, lots of serendipitous experiences. Totally new environment to relax, people watch, etc.
Unfortunately we can't know that for another 20-30 years, as often debated here...:blush:

Back
Top Bottom