What is it? (identifying obscure cars)

Some of the cars from my past (owned by my parents at one point or another).

Car 1: mom drove this one for years.
Car 2: I learned to drive in that car. Very advanced for its time, too advanced maybe as it kept breaking down. The car could rise to navigate unpaved roads.
Car 3: The car my dad bought after being promoted at work. I still remember going with him to buy it - it was a big deal at the time.

#1 a VW?
Has a sort of Rabbit look.:blush:

Well done with #1 Fired, fun to watch this play out. My guess was wrong.

I correctly guessed Citroen for #2, because I lived in Europe for years, but I don't know the specific model. I would have gotten the Peugeot to.

#1 is definitely European spec. It has a 80's shape but lacks the front seat head restraints and side marker lights required in the US post-1970 or so.

#1 is definitely European spec. It has a 80's shape but lacks the front seat head restraints and side marker lights required in the US post-1970 or so.
In that Fired's other two are French, maybe #1 is too? But I guessed wrong, and still don't know...:bow:

I am pretty sure Fireds #1 is French, but I can't quite place it. As far as I know, they were the only ones to bolt the hubcap on at the center.

Is the Citroen a Xantia? BX? Can't tell from the profile.

I came THIS close to buying a 504D once. An acquaintance had one he wanted to sell me for $2K (a few years back) and it was in beautiful shape. The only thing that held me back was the knowledge that he bought it for $300 and got it running with an hour's worth of work.

My BIL bought one of these (pic below) for his young wife after they first got married. I am sure one of you will figure out what it is very quickly.

Lest you think BIL was excessively cheap with what he chose for her, he drove his (construction) work pickup, so he spent nothing on his on daily driver.

However, when she got pregnant with their first child, BIL went out and bought a loaded Volvo 850T wagon "for her" before the baby even made the scene. From one of the least safe & spartan vehicles to one of the most safe & luxurious. I guess he cared a lot more about his kids than his wife...

Attachments

• yugo.jpg
    yugo.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 92
THAT is a Yugo. The Fiat version actually wasn't so bad, but got lost in translation and even worse quality .

Interesting thread--thanks! (I won't play because google image search violates the spirit of the game!)

Fired's #1: Citroen LN (Wasted an hour in Wikipedia before I found it!)

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! My mom's LN was red with black and white checkered interior. Pretty ugly thing. It had a 2-cylinder engine, like its venerable predecessor, the 2CV.

^^ 60-63 American,but not a 61 I don't believe. I cut my teeth doing rust repair on my aunt Martha's 61, and I think it had a different grille.

Last edited:
That was our family car when I was a wee lad back in the 60's. In kind of a parchment white, as I remember.

Mom's first car! She didn't drive till she was 40 yo.

Speaking of first cars, this was mine. It had a 4 speed automatic way back in '69 that shared 8 quarts of oil with the engine. I learned the hard way to always make sure the filter was on securely on this car when I didn't and had to clean up a huge mess on parents driveway. This car was fitted with large square headrests that you needed to flip down in order to tilt up the seat (yes, the entire seat) so as to let someone into or out of the back seat. Such a joy were those pesky US safety regs in those days.

Attachments

• 1968americareardone.jpg
    1968americareardone.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 11
Speaking of first cars, this was mine. It had a 4 speed automatic way back in '69 that shared 8 quarts of oil with the engine. I learned the hard way to always make sure the filter was on securely on this car when I didn't and had to clean up a huge mess on parents driveway. This car was fitted with large square headrests that you needed to flip down in order to tilt up the seat (yes, the entire seat) so as to let someone into or out of the back seat. Such a joy were those pesky US safety regs in those days.

Wow--I'd never even heard of that manufacturer. Was a big car guy back in the day, but US models only....

Back
Top Bottom