What is the dividend yield on your portfolio

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
Just curious, but what is the current yield on your portfolio? With current increased rates on bonds and generally increasing dividends post pandemic, my portfolio currently yields 2.69%. I plan to never spend more than my dividends so this will be my SWR whatever it ends up at retirement. Curious to hear others

Total yield on my entire brokerage account ( cash, bonds, equities) is 4% (mostly double tax free) as of Friday. Our spend is at 2.18%
Both of those percentages are in the six figures.

Last edited:
I don’t track it because I don’t invest for income. I just sell what is needed to fund my annual withdrawal, rebalancing as I do so. Some of it will have come from dividends paid during the year, some from cap gains distributions. Doesn’t matter to me.

Quicken makes it easy for me to pull up the number.

Last 12-month dividend+interest over current portfolio value: 2.69%.

Whoa, it's the same as the OP's number. What coincidence!

I used the trailing 12-month number, because I don't yet have the year-end value for 2022, but my number includes the year-end value of 2021.

My trailing 12-month WR is less than 1%, but the total 2022 number will be significantly higher. I am about to do a bigger Roth conversion and will pay a lot more taxes.

Last edited:
The current weighted yield of my equity portfolio is 2.97%, a number that changes every day with the ups and downs of the market. I use Google Sheets to track my portfolio, and since it pulls in real-time (albeit delayed) stock prices, I know my current yield at any given moment.

Overall weighted average is 2.63%. At 58% of the portfolio, Life Strategy Growth fund has the major impact and it's SEC yield is 2.19%

2.6% and another 3.98% from MF cap gains this year.

Included in the 2.6% are a series of small-ish holdings--about 5% of portfolio--of high dividend payers bringing in 8.9% worth of dividends. (XOM, PDI, ENB, MO etc)

Last edited:
3.48% median yield in my Roth IRA.
Using average skews the number.
Have some smaller positions with high yields and lower yields.
The median represents my portfolio better.

I invest for total return but just looked up my funds out of curiosity. The highest yielding ones are Vanguard Total International Stock Index, which I was surprised to see has a 12 Month Yield of 3.57% while the international bond index fund yields 3.60%.

Interestingly, if you average the Vanguard Total World Stock and Bond funds, it is 2.675% in a 50/50 portfolio, almost the OP’s yield.

Last edited:
IDK. I don't have a quicken or any type of spread sheet which links accounts, and it shifts with the value of the stocks/funds.

What I was able to do was to go into my TD account and run the income estimator on my stock account. It gave me 2.76. This did not run percentages for bonds - although that would be interest. I did stash some money in tax free income funds which brings the total down. I also divested some nasty mutual funds to prune capital gains.

Re Vanguard, the dividends being generated on their money market/ settlement fund is up, so that brings up dividends. Conversely, money put into bonds is interest income, hence that brings down dividends . . .

2.91% across all account types.

457 = 3.92%

Trad IRA = 2.60%

ROTH IRA= 1.25%

Taxable = 4.49% mostly qualified dividends (0% tax rate)

About 2.4% weighted average. Our treasuries 4.05% and stocks 1.65% on 67/33 portfolio.

We withdraw less than 2% (until we buy a Ferrari or something) and our expected return is about 8%.

Quicken makes it easy for me to pull up the number.

Last 12-month dividend+interest over current portfolio value: 2.69%.

Whoa, it's the same as the OP's number. What coincidence!

I used the trailing 12-month number, because I don't yet have the year-end value for 2022, but my number includes the year-end value of 2021.

My trailing 12-month WR is less than 1%, but the total 2022 number will be significantly higher. I am about to do a bigger Roth conversion and will pay a lot more taxes.

I just found newly functional i-orp link Sengsational posted and was up until all hours last night playing with it. I already converted more than my initial plan - but i-orp seems to be recommending even more . . . :facepalm:

Last edited:
I wish it were zero, but to be as diversified as I want, I can't find a way to do that. I do hold some BRK in my taxable account, zero divs there. Those divs just mess with my tax planning (Roth conversions in particular right now).

-ERD50

No idea; likely higher than last year - especially given the reduced valuations.

Across all investable assets my return is 2.87%.

I don’t track it because I don’t invest for income. I just sell what is needed to fund my annual withdrawal, rebalancing as I do so. Some of it will have come from dividends paid during the year, some from cap gains distributions. Doesn’t matter to me.

+1 here.

My dividends are about 1.5% of my total portfolio value.

I don't track my accounts like that but a quick guesstimate (2 minutes with a pencil/paper) it's about 5.25% for this year... My managed 401k really bumps up my rate of return... CD's/Bonds drag it down some. I don't intentionally buy equities for their dividends but sometimes I'll catch them on short term trades.

Last edited:
I do not buy my individual stocks for their dividends. I invest for total return.

Quicken can sum up all dividends paid out over more than 1 dozen of our accounts for me to see the total, and there's no reason for me not wanting to see it. :)

Similarly, all of my investments are purchased for long-term returns. It does not mean I don't care how they are doing short-term.

Last edited:
Virtually all my dividend yield is from fixed income. I have little from equities.

Back
Top Bottom