What is your favourite "Regular" Sipping Liquor - (Neat No Mixers Except Perhaps Ice)

Favorite Sipping Liquor (Neat Not Mixed with Anything Except Ice)

• Bourbon Whiskey

Votes: 66 28.9%
  • Scotch Whiskey

Votes: 52 22.8%
  • Irish Whiskey

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Canadian Whiskey

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Japanese Whiskey

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Moonshine

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Gin

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Vodka

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Brandy / Congnac

Votes: 26 11.4%
  • Rum

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Tequila

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • I am boring and do not drink Liquor

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other (Please specify in Post)

Votes: 21 9.2%

• Total voters
I voted bourbon as that’s what we drink the most. You left off rye by the way.

Honestly one of my favorites right now is Hibiki Harmony, a Japanese whiskey.

As for bourbons, what I reach for varies day to day depending on my mood and what flavor I’m going for. I can’t say I have a single “favorite” that I always enjoy no matter what.

At some family gatherings every few years I might try a little Jamaican rum, but that is it.

Canadian Whiskey is typically Rye whiskey, I had to make some generalities. Crown Royal is an example.

Yes and no. In the US, rye must be at least 51% rye. In Canada, no such rule so Canadian whiskey could have a lot of rye or just a little or even none.

As for US ryes we really like Sagamore Double Oak out of Baltimore and Dad’s Hat out of Bristol, PA. When you can find it EH Taylor is also very good. It’s just pricier and not readily available.

Crown Royal on the rocks with water. I have one once in a while. Not a big fan of Bourbon whisky, but have only tried a couple. Around the holidays we will get some Bailey’s and have an after dinner drink, either straight or one or two ice cubes.

It is mostly red wine these days. Malbec or Cab.

Hardly drink, except when on vacation, then its sweet mixed drinks.
However, I have a bottle of WinterJack that I have been sipping on for the past month. Expect it will last through the holidays only, which is what I got it for. So, I guess its whiskey for my vote.

This reminds me, when we were in Nashville, we visited the Jack Daniels store and had many sipping samples of their flavored whiskey.
OH my! the blueberries and cream was delish, the cinnamon burned but was flavorful, and the rest, I can't remember! :)

I have a couple of fingers of sweet bourbon most evenings. My current fav is Four Roses 1.75L jugs from Costco but on my last trip there I found a Heaven's Door that I like a lot.

A couple of fingers WC Fields style?

Ouzo. Forgot that one.
How about Sambuka? :)

I second Sambuca.

I have not had Sambuca, but imagine that it is not too different from French pastis and Greek ouzo. Regions along the Mediterranean coast share lot of drinks and food.

Don't sip whiskeys much, so leaving out mixed drinks with vodka and gin, I sip these:

Pastis with very cold water (but only in the hot days of summer)
Disaronno (amaretto) with a cube
Italian Grappa (very cold, or with a cube)

-BB

This reminds me that I had a bottle of grappa in the cabinet. I bought it in a trip a while back, did not finish it, and brought it back. I wonder if it's still in the back of the cabinet somewhere, or if I finished it. I will have to look for it.

The French call it "Marc". And I still recall the 1st time I had a sipping glass of Marc after dinner: in the restaurant of the lodging Auberge de Launay on the north bank of the Loire River, where we stayed for a visit to the nearby castles of the region.

More memorable moments. I had river eel (taste like a fish), and my wife had pheasant. This was in 2005, I think.

Four Roses is good stuff, try the small batch.

I like a little Scotch, and not the real smoky stuff, so I've been going through some Suntory Toki lately. Japanese whiskey but tastes like a very mild Scotch. Nice.

And speaking of whisky and whiskey, I am not a connoisseur of this, but still have a few common bottles in the cabinet. Johnny Walker Black Label, Seagram's, plus a couple more, and my children got me bottles of Oban and Glenlivet.

I know there's a big difference between bourbon, Canadian, and Scotch, and have been meaning to educate my taste more about the different flavors but have not really done it. It may be too late. My aged palate is getting duller all the time.

Last edited:
Not much of a liquor drinker. I have had some Redbull shots and Tequila.

More of a Hard Mike's guy or a sweet wine like a Mescato. But still don't drink very often.

Glen Scotia 15 Scottish single malt for around $80. A classic whisky that is less known.

Some info:
Single malt means from a single distillery and only malted barley. It can still have different barrel types mixed together. Typically ex bourbon barrels and ex sherry barrels are used in Scotland. Bourbon has to use a brand new barrel every time.

Scottish whisky is malted barley only
Irish whisky malted and unmalted barley
American whiskey is a mix of mostly corn (bourbon) or rye then extras of wheat, barley to create different flavors (mash bill)

Lots of other small experiments going on like American or Indian single malt etc

9B7F1B5C-48F4-48C9-8FF9-633432147EF5.jpg

I’d never had Japanese whiskeys until a visit to Nobu. They paired three different whiskeys with appetizers. Haven’t decided on which is my fav, but having fun sampling.

I
Was a little surprised to see 3/10 voters that don't drink. I figured a non-drinker would skip a poll like this anyhow. But as I always say, can't really tell much from a self selected poll, other than to just have some fun with it.

-ERD50

They are cheapskates. :)

Was a little surprised to see 3/10 voters that don't drink. I figured a non-drinker would skip a poll like this anyhow. But as I always say, can't really tell much from a self selected poll, other than to just have some fun with it.
Not a surprise to me. Seems to be a tradition here to jump into a thread about something one has no interest in, to state that they have no interest. More than a couple of people posted in the YTTV ESPN thread just to tell us they don't watch ESPN anymore. And you can almost always count on a post in a travel thread telling us they don't travel because they don't like it. Why they do this, I don't know. Kind of annoying.

I voted bourbon in the poll as my sipping liquor, with a rye whiskey as a second choice. Most of the time I'm into one of my 1200 bottles of wine, and maybe a port now and then.

not a surprise to me. Seems to be a tradition here to jump into a thread about something one has no interest in, to state that they have no interest. More than a couple of people posted in the yttv espn thread just to tell us they don't watch espn anymore. And you can almost always count on a post in a travel thread telling us they don't travel because they don't like it. Why they do this, i don't know. kind of annoying.

+1,000,000~

Due to this thread, I just now did a "head count" of my bottles of booze. I have about 50 or so. About 2/3 are unopened. Again, I have way more Cognac than other types, because that was gifted due to my preference. Next was vodka.

My wife saw me shining the flashlight into the back of the cabinet and said, "Why don't you throw away the bottles you don't drink?". I replied, "Heck no. They all are the bottles I have not drunk. Big difference".

Anyway, found my grappa bottle I brought back from Europe. There's 1/3 left. No ouzo, but the French pastis is still unopened. The reason I missed the grappa bottle was that I confused it with a bottle of pear brandy, which is long gone. And the pastis was put on the wine rack due to overflow from the liquor cabinet.

I counted mine too. I have 60 unique liquor bottles, with another 5-10 backups. All are open except for those backups.

I call it art. Consumable art.

I love B&B- Brandy & Benedictine liqueur. It comes premixed in a bottle. Sometimes I add a little ice and sometimes I don't.

Back
Top Bottom