what is your nestegg's YTD return?

I up 8%......60/40--------thats three years living expenses:dance::dance::dance:

One more post with dancing emoticons and I will start liquidating.

Eh, I have to beat the crowd out the narrow door. Preemptive move. Every man for himself.

Standing right near the door (i.e. finger on "sell" button) as we speak.

I might as well put in my $0.02 YTD = 6.11 with an AA of 61/26/13 you can say I'm abit top heavy :D

Wow, talk about déjà vu! In 2011, my portfolio hit a new high in April, went a bit higher in May, took a 5.6% dip in June, but then turned around to hit its high for the year on 7/7/11.

This year, my portfolio hit a new high in April, went a bit higher in May, and took a 5.2% dip in June. And now today, it's up enough that the slightest nudge will put it to another new peak.

Let's just hope that's where the similarities between this year and 2011 end, because late July and early August were not good to me! I took a 14.2% plunge.

Oh well, if it happens again this year, at least I'm balanced out a bit better, so it'll be a good buying opportunity.

Forgot to mention that both wife & I have our Vanguard IRA's (Trad & Roths) in Target Retirement 2015. Therefore, both of us have a 6.34% YTD return, as of the last day of June. (I posted mine earlier, but forgot that hers was allocated same as mine). I haven't tried to figure what her 401k has done YTD yet.

Wow, talk about déjà vu! In 2011, my portfolio hit a new high in April, went a bit higher in May, took a 5.6% dip in June, but then turned around to hit its high for the year on 7/7/11.

This year, my portfolio hit a new high in April, went a bit higher in May, and took a 5.2% dip in June. And now today, it's up enough that the slightest nudge will put it to another new peak.

Let's just hope that's where the similarities between this year and 2011 end, because late July and early August were not good to me! I took a 14.2% plunge.

Oh well, if it happens again this year, at least I'm balanced out a bit better, so it'll be a good buying opportunity.

The overall market was horrible in May and had one of the best Junes in a long time. Whats your AA look like that had your portfolio go up in May and gte hit hard in June?

For someone at Vanguard I can't find a way to determine YTD percentage. There is a report that gives a one year % and for YTD you can get the actual dollar amount but not a percentage.

In our case, the amount we have there has gone down considerably since the beginning of the year (we bought a house for cash) so I have no clue on how to figure the return when there have been withdrawals from the portfolio.

Right. BUT - my lead sled dog Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 showed 7.07% YTD when I checked on it over at Yahoo finance the other day.

What was it really after my auto deposit and auto deduct of SS, pension and auto deduct to my ATM bank account? Don't know.

My Vanguard balance is up versus 12/31/2011 and that is good.

:D

heh heh heh - I used to be much more attentive to this in the accumulation and early retirement years. Now it's more of a handgrenade/horseshoe sort of look see. :dance:

The overall market was horrible in May and had one of the best Junes in a long time. Whats your AA look like that had your portfolio go up in May and gte hit hard in June?

Oops, looks like I goofed. For 2012 I was off by a month. Hit a new high in March, beat it slightly in April, but then it was May (not June) that my net worth was off about 5.2%. As of the end of June, I recovered pretty well and was only down about 1.8% off that April high.

As of tonight's close, my portfolio is only down about 0.6% from that April high. However, I should point out that I'm investing about $1700 per month into my 401k, so that can make my net worth hit new highs, even if my rate of return drops.

My April 30 total was only up around $500 from my March 31 total. So, considering around $1700 got invested in the meantime, my rate of return dropped slightly, even as net worth rose.

As for my asset allocation, it's actually kinda scary. Roughly 87% stocks/mutual funds, 13% cash/MM funds. I really should put the cash into something that at least pays a percent or two, but I like the flexibility of having it easily accessible, so I can buy on the dips.

This thread got me curious, I don't usually watch that close. Looking at the big accounts that make up ~91% of my portfolio, I'm up 8.25% YTD as I post. SPY adjusted from yahoo historical (DEC 30, 2011 to present) ~ 8.66%

That's ~ 80/20 AA, the other 9% of the portfolio is a mix of cash, bonds and international, probably would not change the number much. I should probably think about doing some re-balancing, .... yesterday :facepalm:

-ERD50

I really don't look much at my YTD returns either. I'm pretty much a dirty indexer, so just looking at how well the indexes perform YTD gives me a good indication of how well I did.

Another way to look at it, I suppose I'm more interested in pass/fail vs A, B, C, D or F.

Last edited:
as of today, 12.94% according to Quicken (AA 65/35).

Really surprised by this great return. I don't watch our accounts obsessively like I did when we first started managing our investments. And it appears that our simple mix of Total Stock Mkt, Total Bond Mkt, Total International and three total funds across our two 401k accts is paying off.

Edit: Quicken can't be right. I've looked up each fund/return manually and the highest return was 11.7% in the Small Cap fund. A year ago I would have run the numbers, but our acct is higher than it was this time last year so that's good enough. AA is within its bands and we're still keeping it simple, so nothing further needed.

Last edited:
This whole thread seems to me to be a bit of a whiz contest. Really! Who has the greatest year to date returns.

Excuse me for saying so, but I think the issue here should not be year-to-date returns as much as whether those returns allow you to achieve your unique long-term goals. Those goals, and consequently how your assets are invested and how they return, will be different for everyone.

I think it is also important to ask yourself what will I do with this market turns and heads south as I think it will post elections. What is your plan then?

Now is the time to develop a plan or methodology to exit gracefully with your returns still intact!

as of today, 12.94% according to Quicken (AA 65/35).

Really surprised by this great return.

Edit: Quicken can't be right.

It is probably 'annualizing' the return? So roughly half what it is reporting?

This whole thread seems to me to be a bit of a whiz contest. Really! Who has the greatest year to date returns.

Excuse me for saying so, but I think the issue here should not be year-to-date returns as much as whether those returns allow you to achieve your unique long-term goals.

I think (hope) most people here realize that. It's just a data point, our kind of 'water-cooler talk' - most of us have many years to go, 6 months means almost nothing.

-ERD50

Excuse me for saying so, but I think the issue here should not be year-to-date returns as much as whether those returns allow you to achieve your unique long-term goals. Those goals, and consequently how your assets are invested and how they return, will be different for everyone.
+1
I think it is also important to ask yourself what will I do with this market turns and heads south as I think it will post elections. What is your plan then?

Now is the time to develop a plan or methodology to exit gracefully with your returns still intact!

You are obviously new or you would be aware many of us here don't try to time the market, using an asset allocation/rebalancing strategy instead. I'm not smart enough to know what the market will do or when it will do it, so I keep my seatbelt fastened and work to make sure my seat back and tray table is in the full upright position at all times. :)

Pardon me but this thread is so frik'in depressing. I haven't made any money in the last 4 years so my return is negative.

Pardon me, I'm gonna go cry in the corner.

Have a great weekend every frik'in body. :mad::facepalm:

REWahoo said:
You are obviously new or you would be aware many of us here don't try to time the market, using an asset allocation/rebalancing strategy instead. I'm not smart enough to know what the market will do or when it will do it, so I keep my seatbelt fastened and work to make sure my seat back and tray table is in the full upright position at all times. :)

+1. Was my first thought as well. The only thing a real downturn will do is test whether our AA is correct for our comfort level. 65/35 is easy to leave alone in this market.

+1

REWahoo....I guess that seems to be the what the average investor thinks. However there are a number of simple methods for timing big swings in the markets that have been used for years (ie. trend following). Just ask John Henry the Red Sox owner.

It doesn't work all the time, but outperforms over the complete bull and bear cycle. [mod edit to remove commercial link]
I think deciding that you are going to sit and take what well could be another 2007-2008 type market may not be very smart! Wouldn't you agree?

And yes, I am new to the forums. Thanks for asking!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. Was my first thought as well. The only thing a real downturn will do is test whether our AA is correct for our comfort level. 65/35 is easy to leave alone in this market.

Lisa99...that is true if you do nothing to prepare. However, you don't have to just sit and take a Bear Market. See my prior comments for more.

Btw, the reason I know this is I invest my own money as well as others.

REWahoo said:

Right - you haven't really lost or gained anything until you sell. That was kind of hard to take during what we all went through in 2008-9, but it's easier if you are either still working or have a sufficient cash cushion to ride it out.

Right - you haven't really lost or gained anything until you sell. That was kind of hard to take during what we all went through in 2008-9, but it's easier if you are either still working or have a sufficient cash cushion to ride it out.

Steelyman....you have more steel than I if you plan to ride it out. More power to you.:flowers:

Steelyman....you have more steel than I if you plan to ride it out. More power to you.:flowers:

:) I doubt it. I just try to make sure I have enough in cash to cover the inevitable downtimes in the market, which seem to be occurring more frequently these days. When it's up, I sell down a bit, that's all.

My username doesn't refer to any metallic component of me, either mentally or physically, but rather my admiration of the band Steely Dan who I think did great work in the 70s and 80s. Plus, I play pedal steel guitar. :cool:

:) I doubt it. I just try to make sure I have enough in cash to cover the inevitable downtimes in the market, which seem to be occurring more frequently these days. When it's up, I sell down a bit, that's all.

My username doesn't refer to any metallic component of me, either mentally or physically, but rather my admiration of the band Steely Dan who I think did great work in the 70s and 80s. Plus, I play pedal steel guitar. :cool:

Oooh, I LOVE pedal steel guitar! A band we've been following lately is American Aquarium, out of Raleigh. I absolutely swoon over their pedal steel guitar player. Keep hoping my DH will offer up some latent guitar talents, but alas, no luck thus far. That is really impressive. :flowers:

And your strategy sounds pretty smart to me, with or without steel. :D

Back
Top Bottom