What % of your equity based income are qualified dividends/long term capital gain

kmt1972

Recycles dryer sheets
As a part of my retirement planning xls I also simulate what my federal tax liabilities are. I would love to hear what part of people's taxable income that comes from equities (be it stocks, mutual funds, or etfs) ends up being qualified dividends/long term capital gains. Right now I assume 70% of my taxable income that can be attributed to my equity holdings are qualified dividends/long term capital gains and the rest dividends from ETFs or Mutual funds.

almost all my dividends are qualified. The only exception is part of small cap value and part of international. I booked enough losses in 2009 to avoid taking any gains for a very long time. I don't understand "the rest dividends from ETFs or Mutual Funds." -- certainly most of my QD come from mutual funds and ETFs.

About 94% of my equity-based dividends are qualified. The 6% ordinary dividends mostly come from international equities.

For me it is 100%. I have only 1 equity holding in my taxable account and all of its income every year since 2008 has been qualified dividends (except for 2012 which had a miniscule $12 of the dividends classified as non-qualified).

I'm nominally all equities, with a slice and dice allocated total return portfolio with roughly equal growth and value, domestic and international. My yield is roughly 1.7% including fund STCG's. Qualified dividends were 47% of that. LTCG's from distributions was 2.6% of the portfolio (which does have a substantial percentage of ETF's with no LTCG distributions). STCG's and LTCG's due to sales are up to you.

Haven't calculated it but there's virtually nothing that falls under nonqualified- probably only 2% or so.

~75% for us in 2013 but will probably be closer to 80% in 2014 as 2013 includes some ST bond fund dividends which we won't have in 2014. Our taxable portfolio is currently ~2/3 domestic equities and ~1/3 international equities.

Our foreign tax credit far exceeds the incremental tax on the unqualified dividends.

Approximately 75% of our dividends we're qualified dividends in 2012 and 2013. We have a large carryover loss, so none of our capital gains are taxed under federal law.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Same here. And it still hurts to think about it.
Why? I didn't change my investments, only my tax books. I am way ahead of where I was going in to the down tick in 2009.

In 2013 68% of the withdrawals from our portfolio were qualified dividends or LTCGs.

One aspect of my retirement strategy is to do a reallocation of my after tax assets to get away from equities that pay normal interest/dividends that would be taxed as 'ordinary income' and go with either qualified dividends or totally rely on appreciation for a hold and sell approach qualifying them for LTCG rates.

As per 2013 filing, 2/3 of my dividend stream met the holding period and were qualified.

Over 90% of the capital gains were short term (holding period < one year). The taxman had a good year as this was all taxed at the top marginal rate plus the 3.8% special ACA tax.

100% of our dividend income is qualified and currently taxed at 0% federal.

What kind of funds pay out qualified dividends

Looks like Wellsley is paying me about 70% ordinary and the rest qualified.

Total Stock Market Index has about equivalent amounts for box 1a and 1b on the 1099-DIV.

Where do the qualified dividends get reported? Ordinary dividends are all being totaled for Schedule B but if qualified are subject to long term capital gains tax, shouldn't it be in Schedule D?

Not seeing it in Turbo Tax.

Qualified dividends get reported to the left of the total dividends (same line) on both forms 1040 and 1040A. You complete Schedule B only if your total of ordinary dividends is at least $1,500.

As to how Qualified dividends are treated for tax purposes, there are worksheets in the instructions booket which determine the taxes due. I am not familiar with Turbo Tax but it should have those booklet worksheets in the program.

Back
Top Bottom