what percentage on equities

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have my retirement funds totally in cash, cds etc. I never had luck investing in equities. I was wondering if any of you could give me an idea of the percentages that your equities paid you over the past 10 years. As I said I have not had good experiences with equities, but I have not read the books you suggested. I have just used a financial advisor.

Here is a thread which mentions Zvi Bodie's "Worry Free Investing" where he advocates 0% stocks and 100% TIPS for investing for retirement: Bogleheads :: View topic - Advice for meager IRA

The thread has a link to a series of 10 videos by him which are worth watching. I do not see any reason for one to own any stocks at all if one does not want to. But, if one has only TIPS, then one would need to save a lot more money or work a lot longer before retiring with a confident amount of assets.

I think my equities have paid about 5% to 7% over the past 10 years. It is a difficult calculation since I have bought and sold (especially tax-loss harvesting) along the way.

Back
Top Bottom