• 17' Truck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20' Truck

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 26' Truck

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I measured all the furniture and it looked like it would take up all the floor space of the 20' truck. I wasn't confidant that all the boxes could be stacked on top of things so I went with the 26' so there would be a lot more floor space. All the things that don't fit in a box really added up and I guess I didn't expect that. We also had more last minute things to box up at the last minute than I expected.

We will be getting rid of more stuff as we unpack. If we havent used it in a while, its going bye bye.

Good luck with the rest of the move! If you have friends to help you unload at the new place, remember that the beer flows only >after< the breakables are in the house.
Don't get too discouraged if it takes awhile to get unpacked--weeks, months. Moving--everything about it--is very stressful, sometimes it can sneak up on you. Don't add more stress unnecessarily by being in a huge rush to clear out all the boxes. You'll get there.
The truck--in retrospect, maybe one idea is to reserve a trailer to tow behind the moving van, actually pick it up if you need it after the van is loaded tight. Obviously, that won't work if you are already towing a car on a dolly behind the truck.

Uhaul--An Adventure in Moving indeed!

Uhaul--An Adventure in Moving indeed!

I always thought that was the world's worst motto. Who the heck wants that? I want my moves free from any "adventure".

utrecht, sorry to hear you had to leave some things behind, but it sounds like you are a woodworker and maybe can have some fun building a few replacement pieces in the new location. Drive safe and best wishes at your new home.

In hind sight those UHaul trucks can tow a trailer behind them. That might have been an option, but perhaps you didn't really need/want the stuff you left behind.

Good luck at your new home!

Sorry you had to leave things behind, the measurements are usually based on everthing being boxed, torn apart tobe as flat as possible and stacked to the ceiling. Sounds like maybe you had a ton of stuff that didn't fit in those categories..which is why it didn't all fit. My sister emptied my garage for me as I was moving into an apartment, she took a 17 foot trailer packed and I took what barely fit in a 2 bedroom and that was after I sold all my patio furniture, grill, lawn mower, all power tools, 3 couches, snow blower, ladders, etc and I had given to good will for a year amounting to likely 6 car loads of stuff :) ie we ALL have too much STUFF.

Hope you kept the good stuff and have fun making new things at the new place. You'll likely find you don't miss stuff after awhile and most of it you didn't need in the first place. btw, even after all that downsizing, we still have managed to sell 5 more boxes of stuff once we moved in.. but on the plus side we only kept the very nicest and newest stuff which in some ways makes it feel even better and since the place is so small now, I don't need 5 measuring tapes (kept my 2 best, one short one long) and so on.. 40 screwdrivers (between garage, basement, cars, and random drawers)..now my dad would never get rid of any..so I gave them all to him :)

I sold all of my large woodworking equipment about a year ago so I wouldn't have to move it. That stuff is big and really heavy. I do still have a lot of smaller tools and a million clamps and things like that. What I'd really like to do is find someplace that rents out a woodworking shop by the hour or day and then sell all my stuff. We plan to do a lot of long term traveling so we really want to downsize our "stuff" big time but I also love building furniture.
We made it to Tallahassee today en route to the Fort Lauderdale area. We drove 10 hours and had the windshield wipers on at least 7 hours. UGH! The cab leaks and water was pooling on the floor of the cab. At one point I had to slow down to about 20 mph it was raining so hard.

Drive safely. Keep an eye on the rain, I found out that the standard Uhaul insurance didn't cover water damage.

I sold all of my large woodworking equipment about a year ago so I wouldn't have to move it. That stuff is big and really heavy. I do still have a lot of smaller tools and a million clamps and things like that. What I'd really like to do is find someplace that rents out a woodworking shop by the hour or day and then sell all my stuff.

We have a new place like that a few miles from me. I have not checked it out yet, but plan to do so. I got rid of all my woodworking equipment when we moved to Texas many years ago, except for a workbench. Broke my heart, but there was no room in my garage.

Build Member's Workshop

Back
Top Bottom