What time of year did you retire at?

December 27th. My current contract ran out at the end of the year. I had a HUGE check coming that was not going to make it to my bank until the next month, so next tax year. I socked max into 401K, 457, etc. Maxxed out matching funds. I also cashed in my sick leave of over 9 months on the books plus vacation of over 800 hours. I also had my hernia surgery that month as well, capitalizing on the holiday days off with pay so I could cash in the sick leave. My final pay was at least a year's worth of salary, so I was grateful to carry it into the next year.

December 31st. It was cleaner to retire at the end of the year paper-wise than earlier in the year, but it was harder to go home when everything was pretty much closed for the season. It was kind of freaky in that I was the last person in my department that day and leaving my entry card with the guard at the front door was kind of a weird lonely time. I'm glad I'm retired though - no regrets on that side!

I stopped working on June 23rd, officially. I had not used any vacation days so my 1st day of retirement was Aug 1st.

March 28 in order to max out retirement contributions (TSP) for another year.

I retired Sept. 1st, 2020. Was having a great year financially and at the same time had pushed myself too far physically and was ready mentally and physically to leave. I decided I wanted to enjoy the autumn weather, my favorite time of year, so the timing seemed perfect. I knew I did not want to work into or through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays so September it was.

I retired Sept. 1st, 2020. Was having a great year financially and at the same time had pushed myself too far physically and was ready mentally and physically to leave. I decided I wanted to enjoy the autumn weather, my favorite time of year, so the timing seemed perfect. I knew I did not want to work into or through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays so September it was.

Congrats on your recent retirement!!

I retired at the best time of the year. The best time of the year is whatever month it is when you pull the plug and never have to work again! :)

Me too. My departure was so unexpected it took me and the couple people who knew when I planned by surprise. DW had watched OMY fully expected another when I said I was done she was surprised and happy.

The exact right time was May 25. It was at my age 59.5. Not exactly ER.

Hey, congratulations!
And that was (technically) our retirement day, too!

my goal was to retire prior to my birthday month (march) because I refused to spend one more birthday in the office. retired Jan 24, 2020

February of this year, 2020. Right before Corona hit.

I wanted to make sure I received my annual bonus and then a few weeks later we moved and I quit for good.

Never going back to the office ever, and at the age of 41!

22-Dec-20 I'll go on vacation that will carry me thru to Official Retirement date of 1-Feb-21.

I'm 61 year old, so not a real early retirement but it beats Hell out of continuing to work.

I am so looking forward to being able to concentrate on life away from the Oilpatch - as oilfield is 24/7. The oilfield provided us a good living the last 43 year but it was all consuming....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....

gamboolman....

Mid-April to glide into retirement.

January 1, we got 6 weeks vacation, so I took 2 weeks in January, 2 weeks in February, 2 weeks in March, and I left after 2 weeks in April.

I got used to not being there, and those around me got used to me not being there.

22-Dec-20 I'll go on vacation that will carry me thru to Official Retirement date of 1-Feb-21.

I'm 61 year old, so not a real early retirement but it beats Hell out of continuing to work.

I am so looking forward to being able to concentrate on life away from the Oilpatch - as oilfield is 24/7. The oilfield provided us a good living the last 43 year but it was all consuming....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....

gamboolman....

Early Congratulations for Tomorrow!!:dance:

Congratulations on your last day of work, today! :clap:

As for retiring at 61, I retired at 61.5 and I figure that was earlier than if I retired at 65. I would have liked to retire in my early 50's like my brothers both did, but life just didn't work out that way for me. Either way I'm retired *now* and that is what matters to me right now.

DH's last day, was a year ago tomorrow.

I was going to retire sometime between March and August of 2020. :nonono:

Now, (most likely) between March and end of May 2021. Although - I cannot eliminate the possibility that I will run screaming into the night with one more straw on the camel's back.

One week ago today!

One week ago today was my last day of w#rk! I retired at 4:00 pm on 12/18/20.

So I guess technically it has only been 6 days, 22 hours, and 45 minutes.

But who's counting? :dance::dance::dance:

They retired me (and all over 55) in November. Although I'd taken all my vacation, they paid me for 5 weeks more.

That was 12 years ago. I've still not go over all my Honey Do's.

Congratulations!
[emoji324][emoji323] [emoji898]

Woo Hoo!

Back
Top Bottom